Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to clean Idle Control Valve (ICV 52*i, 530i i6)

My Cars
    BMW 528iA

How to clean Idle Control Valve (ICV 52*i, 530i i6)

I saw a thread about ICV and I thought is better to clean up mine...

It's not that easy but...

First, you need some tools:

...and some Qtips:

....then you have to remove filter housing:

...then you have to pull dipstick...

...and vacum hose:

...then you need 10 mm socket to unscrew those 2 bolts, then just push it down with a long screwdriver:

...remove this plastic:

....because it's gonna be easier to work:

ICV was blocked:

....this tape is there to protect electronics from carb cleaner:

Now engine runs much better when's cold (~30% better) and acceleration feels much better. Even the tranny shifts better.

JOB DONE!

Last edited by BMW 528; 01-18-2014 at 08:14 AM.

BMW 528i Automatic - Premium and Winter Package - Avital Remote Starter - XM Satellite Radio - e60 wheels - LPG

My Cars
    1998 bmw 528i

Cool

hi, the pictures for the location of the idle valve sensor were great!
    i did everything you show until i got to actually removing the valve.
    i didn't take it out because i wasn't sure if there was a hose clamp inside the
    intake manifold, and if i just pulled it out would i be able to get it back in
    without taking off the manifold? also does the rubber strap stay on the valve
    when it's taken out?
    thank's, ray

My Cars
    BMW 528iA
    Yes, there is a ring/rubber that would stay in ICV when you remove it, then when you want to put it back, you just try to find a hole with finger and just push the ICV.
    I recommend you to buy tha ring/rubber.

BMW 528i Automatic - Premium and Winter Package - Avital Remote Starter - XM Satellite Radio - e60 wheels - LPG

My Cars
    1996 BMW 528i and 1996 Peugeot 206LX
    ...and you often do this kind of work in your slippers?

My Cars
    BMW 528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by christopherpm View Post
    ...and you often do this kind of work in your slippers?

Why not :

My Cars
    1998 bmw 528i
    thanks, i did get it out and back in. it was actually stuck closed, and therefore prior to cleaning, it would not idle at all. it just stalled if i took my foot of the gas. that probably saved me $600. if i brought it to the dealer they would of replaced the part. it cost around $160. it wasn't an easy job the first time, but i could do it now in less then an hour. thanks, ray

My Cars
    BMW 528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by rayg2 View Post
    thanks, i did get it out and back in. it was actually stuck closed, and therefore prior to cleaning, it would not idle at all. it just stalled if i took my foot of the gas. that probably saved me $600. if i brought it to the dealer they would of replaced the part. it cost around $160. it wasn't an easy job the first time, but i could do it now in less then an hour. thanks, ray

I'm glad to hear that!

My Cars
    1994 528E BMW
    i have an idle problem when my 84 e28 idels around 2000 rpms and when its been running for awhile it will randomly rev up to around 3000 rpms
    if i did this would it fix my idle problem?

My Cars
    '84 e30 318i
    i had no luck getting mine out in the m54. is there anything that holds it on or in place? i got frustrated and gave up.
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    I have a manual I6 e39 and it's a great car but sometimes when i need to accelerate fast and it doesn't( cause it can't) i just wanna slow down, pull over, open the hood and shoot the poor bastard in it's inline 6 heart....

My Cars
    '01 530i,'90 Miata
    Is the DIY for the 6 cyl. or the V8? My engine looks totally different that what I see in the pics above.

'01 530i Sport(RED)
    '90 Miata(work car)

My Cars
    '84 e30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmr4me View Post
    Is the DIY for the 6 cyl. or the V8? My engine looks totally different that what I see in the pics above.
    ya its for an i6 m52, i had an m54 so it was slightly different. ours is located under the intake manifold.
    Quote Originally Posted by volodka1985 View Post
    I have a manual I6 e39 and it's a great car but sometimes when i need to accelerate fast and it doesn't( cause it can't) i just wanna slow down, pull over, open the hood and shoot the poor bastard in it's inline 6 heart....

My Cars
    02 525

Paintballistic - request (fellow M54 owner.....)

Could you please post the procedure for cleaning the ICV on the M54 engine...

Thanks!

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Is there a difference between the m52 and m52tu procedure?
    Thanks for posting this.. i gotta get this done asap!
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    e39
    ok so i did this today on my 01 525i with m54.as sad above it's a bit different from 528i. i'm no bmw technician) but this is pretty easy, just be patient and try not to break anything.it took about an hour and a half and i had to go to kragen to buy some WD 40. to have space to work in i removed the air filter box, the driver's side cabin filter housing and the big hose that goes from it into the firewall(you just kinda unscrew it by turning it counterclockwise).
    than you wanna unscrew 2 bolts that hold part number #6 on the diagram, and when you remove that you'll be able to see the ICV. loosen the clamp that holds the throttle body and gently remove the hose, now you can pull out the icv even tho it still has the hose attached to it.
    mine was not really blocked but still some stuff inside and was not turning really easy. i cleaned it with some wd 40 and Q tips.
    no difference in acceleration but when i shift now it's smoother and easier to take off, this totally worth couple hours of your weekend time, get your ass up and show your car how much you like it.[IMG]http://forums.***************************************?att achmentid=197987&d=1184167438[/IMG]

My Cars
    E30 & E46
    What about TB cleaner?

My Cars
    e39
    no i didnt use the TB cleaner for the TB,
    correction on the wd 40 - just found out that its the worst thing to use for lubrication...
    so i'm gonna take it out again next sunday and put a couple drops of engine oil to lubricate the ICV..
    should take me about an hour this time.

My Cars
    BMW 528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    Is there a difference between the m52 and m52tu procedure?
    Thanks for posting this.. i gotta get this done asap!

I think there's no difference.

P.S. now I need just 3 minutes to take off this thing, it's so easy.
    Last edited by BMW 528; 09-04-2008 at 05:03 PM.

My Cars
    318i/5
    I'm gonna do it on my M60 motor next weekend. DIY coming up!! Don't know if it will be useful to you E39 M62 fellas but its coming either way.
    -Леха

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    So, spent 2 hours yesterday on this project, it was a lot harder to get loose than I thought, and there were some extra steps that the DIY failed to mention.

Unfortunately however, when I finally did get the ICV loose, it turned out to be as clean as a whistle - ten years old and not even the smallest piece of dust flint in sight! Oh well...

My Cars
    1997 E39 523i 5spd
    I just did mine yesterday. Mine was still pretty clean. I did have some trouble putting it back in, it just wouldn't go back into the intake manifold. After a short break and some nice icecream (it was 27C/81F), I managed to put it back.

My Cars
    E39 moonlight silver
    Where are the pictures between #8 and #9? How did you get from point 8 to point 9?

My Cars
    1997 E39 523i 5spd
    Well, after unscrewing the two bolts there are a few simple steps:

- unplug the electrical connector at the end.
    - pull the ICV out of the intake manifold (downwards). It fits into the manifold with a rubber plug, so a little force is required. Also the rubber hose onder the ICV is pretty stiff, and trying to hold the ICV on its place.
    - when the ICV is out, you can unscrew the hose clamp from the remaining rubber hose.
    Last edited by maardein; 06-02-2009 at 10:28 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Another tip: it's IMPOSSIBLE to unscrew the hose clamp while the ICV is still buried under the engine block. You first have to carefully pull it out from under the engine block, gently winding around the hoses blocking the way until you haul it up to the top. THEN you can unscrew the hose clamp.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by acet View Post
    I'm gonna do it on my M60 motor next weekend. DIY coming up!! Don't know if it will be useful to you E39 M62 fellas but its coming either way.
    acet,

It would be better if you posted your DIY in my E34 DIY thread..
    E34 DIY Quick Links
    ..in the E34 section of the forums.
    1988 - 1996 (E34)

The thought is very much appreciated, but we already have an ICV DIY for the E39 v8.
    Idle Control Valve (ICV) Cleaning (540i V8)

Cheers

Jamie
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 07-01-2009 at 04:39 PM.

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    bump for E34 M60 ICV cleaning thread?
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 08-15-2009 at 02:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast