Thread: Turbo/SC: Need for more cooling

Turbo/SC: Need for more cooling

I'm thinking of doing either a turbo or a SC for my M3. Any thoughts on the necessity of adding a larger radiator and/or aux. oil cooer? Am I just asking for trouble by not considering this before I go ahead?
    Rusty Chapman
    Fairfax Station, VA
    '95 M3

My Cars
    88 M5 FOR SALE, E92 335i
    Lotsa guys either drill and tap the oil filter housing or buy the Euro E36 M3 oil filter housing which has the oil cooler fittings already on it. You will need to buy an oil cooler and lines, obviously. An oil cooler is highly recommended, espcially if you have a turbo. More air in requires more fuel, which makes more power and more waste heat. Unless your engine somehow becomes super-efficient, you'll want more cooling if you go to the track, drive in traffic, or just want to blast down some back roads for more than a few minutes.

Use less anti-freeze and more water (I use 40/60 or 30/70). Use Red Line Water Wetter, too. This will assist your cooling system, but it's nothing revolutionary. If you're putting out 500+ HP, then think about custom radiators or something. It depends on how hot it is in your area and how hard you drive.

The stock cooling system should work fine until it's 100F outside and you're stuck in traffic with the A/C on high.

JamesM

My Cars
    AA Turbo 325, Infiniti
    Unless you do track time, I really feel it is not necessary. With a turbo, there are so few places that you can actually floor it for more than a minute or two that overheating is just not an issue.

With an SC you are adding serious HP only after 5G, so the issue is even less.

My has needle has never left the center mark.
    Last edited by John (PA); 07-27-2001 at 10:07 AM.