Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E9x FAQ & Useful Threads (READ ME before posting a question)

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: When I lock/unlock my car, there is no audible beep. Why?
    Q: I cannot find the option to enable beeping when I lock or unlock the car. Am I missing something?
    Q: Why doesn't the "clown-nose" red LED under the mirror blink when I lock my car.

A:

For all the above, you need the dealer installed alarm option. Our BMWs don't come standard with the alarm from factory, although they are prewired. You can get the alarm self installed or installed by a dealer but programing needs to be done by the dealer to enable it. Once that is done you will be able to get the blinking of the LED and to configure your lock/unlock audible settings.
    Last edited by mryakan; 10-22-2009 at 12:23 AM.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: My speedometer reports a higher speed reading than my GPS (or the radar of the cop who pulled me over, not that I am complaining...). Is there something wrong with my car? Does that affect my odometer or service readings?

A:

BMW over-reports the speed at which you traveling (typically 3-5mph or 4-8km/hr depending on speed). This is an intentional correction by BMW and only affects your speedometer reading and cruise control speed setting. Everything else including odometer, mpg reading and service readings are accurate and unadjusted.
    Last edited by mryakan; 10-22-2009 at 12:23 AM.

My Cars
    2021 M550i Tanzanite Blu

Stiff brake pedal

Q. I have heard of the "stiff brake pedal" issue with the E9x series. What is it? Will it be resolved under warranty?

A. This issue is seen by some owners of 335's, but it is more prevalent with the 535 series for some reason (or so says my dealer).

The issue is that the vacuum check valve to brake booster is leaking. When the pressure bleeds off, the brake pedal becomes very stiff. In my vehicle, the calibration between the brake pedal and the ability to start the car is so close, that it sometimes requires the driver to stand on the brake before the START button could be used!

The fix, per the repair paperwork, was replace vacuum hose assembly to brake booster.

This is a warranty repair item, although I had to "convince" my dealer that it really was a problem, as starting the car rebuilds pressure again. I reiterated over and over again that I did NOT want to take a chance with anything related to the brakes. In the beginning it would take a week without starting the car for the problem to appear, but over the course of a few months it was down to a 30-minute stop at a fast food place being enough time. (I travel on business a lot, so the car sitting for a week at a time is fairly common.)

I took delivery of my car in March 2007. The first vacuum hose replacement was in March 2008. The second one was in December 2008.
    Last edited by azhrei; 12-22-2008 at 09:17 PM.

My Cars
    06 325i 6SP Sport+Prem

Engine warm-up

Q: My 2006 325i sedan (e90) does not have any temp gauge on the dashboard. Is it true that our BMW's don't require engine to be warmed up for proper operation in any temperature (cold/hot)?
    A:
    BMW recommends you start your car and drive right away, the car will warm up faster that way (the whole powertrain and associated fluids, not just the engine and its oil/coolant) and this has lesser impact on the environment (the faster the catalytic converted is up to operating temps the better and idling is not the fastest). It is advisable to keep the engine revs below 3/4K rpm until the the car reaches normal operating temps. This is not specific to BMWs but should apply to all modern cars.

With a lack of oil or coolant gauge on some e9x models, it can be tricky to judge when the car has reached normal operating temps. One approach on the e9x is to check your oil level, if it displays a level then you are good to go since the sensor waits till the oil reaches normal operating temps before displaying the level. Mind you, this is a sufficient but not necessary condition.
    Last edited by mryakan; 12-30-2008 at 02:10 PM.

My Cars
    '10 Mazda6

E9x and iPod Integration

Q: How do I get iPod Integration in my E9x 3 series?

A: There are two BMW choices for iPod integration on the E9x 3 series. If your car was manufactured prior to March 2007 then your only choice is #1. If your car was manufactured March 2007 or after, you could have either #1 or #2.

Choice #1 : Dealer Installed iPod Integration -- Cost is ~$320 for the part and totals ~$500 after installation and programming

This works with both iDrive and non-iDrive cars. The result is an iPod dock cable located in your glovebox. It will charge the iPod and give you full control of the iPod functions via your radio or iDrive.

For my detailed impressions of the Dealer Installed integration kit (which I have in my 12/06 build E90) visit this post: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=685452

Choice #2 : Factory Installed iPod Integration (Option Code 6FL) -- Current option price for 2009 is $400

This option was only available starting on March 2007 builds. This works with both iDrive and non-iDrive cars. It is ONLY available as a factory option. The result is an additional port (USB) in your center console. In the USA the dealer will supply (for free) a proprietary Y-Cable (see linked PDF) that will attach to the dock connector on your iPod and to both the USB and AUX jacks in the center console. It will charge the iPod and give you full control of the iPod functions via your radio or iDrive. Note that in other countries they charge ~$70 for this cable.

The USB port provided with this option will also let you read music files from a USB flash drive. USB hard drives are not supported and it is rumored that some will work although the power draw required makes them not ideal.

According to anecdotal notes here on the forum, the software for the 6FL integration is much better than that on the Dealer Installed integration option.

Link to PDF describing 6FL option and including pictures:
    http://www.longdecember.com/6fl_info.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Here's a great FAQ for iPod from Apple

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27749?viewlocale=en_US

Last edited by mryakan; 12-10-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: grammar, etc, merged Car54 post.
    Current:
    2010 Mazda6iT
    2007 Honda CR-V EX-L
    2009 Kawasaki Concours14 Black (my true summer ride)
    1996 Honda Nighthawk 750

Past:
    2007 E90 335i-6MT-SG/Black/Al-ZPP-ZSP-Navi-Heated-CA-iPod-Blacklines
    2002 MB C230K Coupe
    2000 Altima SE (Ugh...)
    1990 CRX Si (the one that got away)

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: How do I change the date format.
    A: I can't comment on how it is done with iDrive, but without it, it cannot be done from the config menu on the radio. The only way I found was thus:
    1- Either leave the car is running and with foot on the brakes at a standstill, or turn off the car but put the ignition in position 2 (press the start button with foot off clutch(MT)/Brakes(AT).
    2- Scroll using the Stalk to to the menu that lists the fuel icon and temp icon. Select that menu option.
    3- Within the menu option, scroll down and you will see an option labeled "mm/dd" or "dd.mm". Select it.
    4- Now scroll down or up to select the format you want "mm/dd" or "dd.mm".
    5- To verify your setting, push the clock button on the radio display. It will display the time and date in the selected format.

P.S. This was tried on a Canadian Spec e90, so not sure if it is the same for other models or US spec cars.
    Last edited by mryakan; 10-22-2009 at 12:25 AM.

My Cars
    2009 335i Sedan

Google Maps destinations

Q. How do I use Google Maps to get a navigation destination sent to my car?
    A.
    The Google Maps thing works through BMW Assist which is basically a cell phone connection to the car. You use it by going to the Google Maps website and finding something(only commercial locations work, personal home addresses don't). When the baloon comes up on the map pointing to the destination, you have options like get directions, etc. One of the options is "send". You click on this and select car (other options such as phone are listed). You then select BMW or Mercedes and the country. It lists USA, Canada, Austria, Germany, France, Italy and UK as options so I think it does work in Europe at least in those countries. You enter your username which is the e-mail address that you used when you registered BMW assist. It then sends the location to the car. I think it is basically a text message over the BMW assist cell phone built into the car. Internet access in the car is not required, only BMW Assist. In the US, internet in the car is an extra cost service. Once the message has arrived (takes only seconds), you see an envelope icon on the i-drive screen. You go to the BMW assist menu and select 'messages'. A list of messages then shows on the screen. You pick the one you want and you can then select the checkered flag icon for sending it to the nav system or you can call it (if you have a bluetooth phone connected). This is one of the coolest 'gadget' features of the car and I use it all the time. It is much easiser than entering (i-drive or voice) the destination in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by mgthompson View Post
    This should only work on 2009 or newer models with NAV in the USA.
    Last edited by mryakan; 12-03-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: fix highlighting of some words

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335xi
    Q:How do I Pause, Fast Forward or Rewind while listening to my iPod or a CD

A: To Pause, push in the volume button on the dash where the rest of the radio controls are. To FF or RW, push and hold the track selector at the bottom right corner below the CD/DVD slot, or the up and down buttons on the steering wheel controls.
    Last edited by mryakan; 03-03-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Add CD
    2008 E90 335xi Black on Black all options checked. 4/31 Build Date 24,xxx miles

My Cars
    Fireblade+lifted chevy<3
    Q: How do I remove the back seats?

A:
    Quote Originally Posted by e90dTm View Post
    First: Take out the rear seat lower part (just pull hard at the front seam(upwards) and it pops loose and can be taken out)

Second: Unscrew the bolts at the lower end of the rear seat back that hold the seat. They are Torx heads of either 40 or 50 size (T40 or T50)

Third: Climb in the boot with a screwdriver facing upwards to the parcel shell. Find the (almost hidden) unlocking holes (one left, one right) for the rear seats (just a hole on the metal with a lever behind them) and move the lever outwards to unlock the rear seat back. It´s a so called emergency release latch (don´t ask me why it´s called that since there still are the bolts at the lower part of the seat). That release latch is really hard to find and even after you´ve found it it´s really hard to figure out what to move where, but once you´ve done it, it´s easy.
    Last edited by mryakan; 10-22-2009 at 12:24 AM.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: If you have comfort access, how do you have accessories shut off when you walk away from the car but still within range of CA?

A: If you hit the start button one more time after shutting the car off (without depressing the clutch or the brake on an AT) it will turn it off along with other accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
    Also, another neat little trick.
    When turning off your car, hit--and HOLD--the Start button for around 2 seconds. That's like a "I don't care what you think, car, I mean shut down COMPLETELY---NOW!" to the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shieldze1025 View Post
    Also, locking the car with the remote shuts off all accessories.

Q: How do you restart the car without having the accessories shut off?

A: If you are starting the engine again and the car is not in sleep more, if you hit the button once it will turn everything off instead of starting the engine and you have to hit it again to start, but if you remember, then push and hold will start the engine without shutting off the music or interrupting anything.
    Last edited by mryakan; 12-03-2009 at 11:49 AM.

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    Q: How do I know if my 335i has an Oil cooler or not?

A:
    335i + sport package = Oil Cooler
    335xi + sport package + 18" wheel option = Oil cooler

Early auto 335i's + sport package did not come with the OC (before March '07 build, or there about). These are the ones that typically qualify for the free retrofit.

Also, if you are the 2nd owner, you will have a tough time getting a retrofit from BMW. Don't go through the dealer, do everything through BMWNA.

You can spot the OC if you look in the front passenger side wheel well, looking toward the bumper you will see a shroud with plastic fins and the OC behind it. Another way to spot is to look at the oil filter housing, and if there are two hoses coming out of the front of it, you have the OC.
    Last edited by mryakan; 11-30-2009 at 03:04 PM.

My Cars
    2007 335i
    Q: How do I pair a Bluetooth device to an E90

A:

1. Make sure you have a compatible phone: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...blePhones.aspx

2. Go to BMW website and watch a short video:
    http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...urBMW/FAQ.aspx

To find the video simply scroll down to the bottom of the topics and click on "What is the Bluetooth pairing (sometimes referred to as bonding) process?" then click on "View Video".

Video shows each step in a very easy to follow process.

My Cars
    08 335i
    Q: Is the HPFP on the 335i a problem? (High Pressure Fuel Pump)

A: Yes, but it is covered under an extended Warranty for 10 years or 120k miles.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B130309g.htm

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1400831

Q: Do other 3 series aside from the 335 have the HPFP problem?

A: No. The High Pressure Fuel Pump is specific to the Direct Injection system which is only available on the Turbo Charged gasoline N54/55 engines on the e9x 3 series in North America. It is not available on the N52/51 N/A engines so it is not an issue on the 323/325/328/330. (Not sure about 335d).
    Last edited by mryakan; 01-13-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added links - mryakan: Add Q/A about non 335 engines

My Cars
    08 335i
    Q: How do you reset the interval service light, i.e Oil?

A: Get in driver's seat, shut the door, and insert the key... don't start the engine... then press and hold the trip reset button on the cluster. as you hold it, it should bring up a 'service' triangle... when that happens, press and hold again.

This should bring you into the services reset menu.... each press of the button should now change the picture on the cluster... things like an oil lamp, a picture of a radiator, the brake pad warning symbol, etc...
    anything that is overdue will show red. services coming due will show yellow. services NOT due are green

when you find the oil lamp symbol, press and hold again. it will come up with a 'reset?' press and hold again.... it should reset

Courtesy of LindsBoston
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1401417
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-17-2010 at 03:29 PM.

My Cars
    '06 330xi, 07 Ninja ZX6R
    Q : What is the best way to add a trailer hitch to a e90?

Q: I Lost or dont have a copy of the owner's manual for my car, where is the best place to order one?

A: I lost my owner's manual and if you can go without a hard copy I found a website that has every series owner manual from 2000 and up. I also has the following Technical Publications

- DVD Navigation System Retrofit with On-Board Monitor. Installation Instructions | Part No. 01 29 0 309 179

- Onboard Computer Owners Manual 2004 | Part No. 01 41 0 157 006

- Owners Manual for BMW Business CD Car Radio 1999/2000 | Part No. 01 410 155 137

- Owners Manual BMW Business CD Radio 2001 | Part No. 01 41 0 155 848

- Rear Bumper Gap Fix | Defect Code: 51 12 90 40 00

http://www.bmwsections.com/docs/

This website also has a BMW Parts Search and Resource page that can come in handy.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Banny11b; 05-10-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: What kind of oil can I use in my non-M e9x BMW?

A: According to BMW:

BMW LL-01/LL-01 FE Recommended Synthetic Oils

Required maintenance work or services should be performed for your vehicle by your authorized BMW center.
    BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil is recommended for scheduled engine oil changes.
    BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Oil*
    (BMW part number 07 51 0 017 866)
    * Does not apply to M vehicles - see below
    BMW recommends that you check your engine oil level whenever you add fuel to your vehicle.
    If you need to add oil between oil changes and BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil is unavailable, you may top up the oil level with one of the following approved synthetic oils. For information on checking your engine oil level refer to your vehicle’s Owner’s Manual.
    The oils listed below meet BMW’s Long-life rating and are acceptable for use in BMW Passenger vehicles and SAVs in the US market with gasoline engines.
    BMW Long-life rating LL-01
    Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market
    Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
    Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
    Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
    Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30
    Use only oils with an API rating of SM or higher.
    The choice of the right SAE grade is based on the climatic conditions in the region in which you normally drive your BMW.
    To best determine which SAE grade is best suited for your vehicle, contact an authorized BMW center.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: Where can I download an electronic copy of the owner's manual?
    A:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx
    Last edited by mryakan; 10-27-2010 at 03:07 PM.

My Cars
    2008 335xi Coupe
    Q: How do I clear the Programmable Memory buttons?

A: Using iDrive, go to Settings>>Vehicle/Tires>>Programmable Memory Keys>>Delete Data
    Last edited by mryakan; 10-27-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: remove signature

My Cars
    2010 BMW 335i x-drive

Random / Shuffle I-pod

Q: Is there a way to get my songs to shuffle through i-drive??? i am using a video i-pod and havent been able to find shuffle.

A:

On my 2010 335i with i-drive and video i-pod plugged in:
    Click on CD/Multimedia
    Click on External
    Click on Video Ipod
    Push Options Button (or push controller to right)
    Turn controller to Random
    Push controller to put check mark.

Note that when you remove the I-pod it will be on shuffle.
    Last edited by WoLF; 06-11-2014 at 10:56 AM.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: Is it normal for the Start button light or the P light on the Automatic transmission to stay on after the car is locked?

A: Yes, it is perfectly normal. The light will go off by itself after 10-15 minutes when the car goes into sleep mode (aka power saving mode).

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i
    I have found that this does not work for 07' 335i, the procedure for that model is:

Originally Posted by 742
    If you just want to reset the service reminders you do not need any tools. This is from one of the "other forums".

Step 1
    Insert key into slot
    Step 2
    Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.
    Step 3
    Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
    Step 4
    You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
    Step 5
    When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
    Step 6
    You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.
    I meant to add to this that on step three, the symbol may not be the oil can, it may be the cabin filter, brakes, spark plugs, coolant or chassies service will be shown, just use the up/down button on the stalk to scroll between them.
    Last edited by mryakan; 05-22-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: merge

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)

When does the ATF need to be changed

Although BMW at one time stated that the automatic transmissions had "lifetime fill", they changed their mind sometime during the E9x run. It should be changed at 100,000 mile intervals. Many "old school" maintainers advocate chageing it at 60K miles.

Here is the PDF from the Service/Maintenance book. Note the Conditioned Based Service note.
    Attached Files Attached Files

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP

Bluetooth Availability

Q: Does my car have Bluetooth (BT)? How do I know if I have BT?

Q: I have the phone button on my steering wheel, does that mean I have Bluetooth?

Q: My car has the shark fin antenna, does that mean I have Bluetooth?

A: All e9x cars have the phone button on the steering wheel and the shark fin antenna (unless a factory delete option was selected, esp. for the e93). This does not mean you have BT.
    BT was either standard equipment or optional equipment depending on model, model year, and country.
    BT comes hand in hand with the BMW Assist feature, which means if you have the SOS button next to the sunroof button, then you should have BT.
    Another sure way to tell if you have BT is to hit the menu button on the radio head unit. If you have a "Phone" option in the menu, then you have BT. Selecting that option will allow you to pair your BT capable phone. If you do not see a "Phone" option in the menu, then unfortunately you do not have BT.

My Cars
    '22 X3
    Q: Is there any information on how to code some options on the e9x cars?

A: Here is a PDF of some basic coding information:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mryakan; 01-12-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: formatting

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: How much oil should I put in when doing an oil change?

A:
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Buy 7 quarts, put in all 7 quarts. Done. You'll never get every last bit out of the bottle anyway, and even if you were to completely get every last drop, the extra 0.2 quarts wouldn't change a thing.
    Last edited by mryakan; 05-03-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast