Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E9x FAQ & Useful Threads (READ ME before posting a question)

My Cars
    2007 328i Sedan

Post E9x FAQ & Useful Threads (READ ME before posting a question)

Please post frequently asked questions that you think would be beneficial to new and repeat BMW 3-series owners. This will help in limiting repeated subject posts (such as my recent fau pax) and be of great help to forum users.

Also, a discussion of the use of the "search" function would be helpful.

I will post the information that I have found very helpful to me when starting to use this forum late last year.

Thanks in advance to all the contributors.

Uhhh, hey, when should i do my first oil change....

Moderator Note (FAQ POSTING RULES):
    I will "sticky" this thread provided it just consists of facts not opinions. Everyone can contribute, but for it to be useful to newcomers and existing members/owners alike, it has to void of inaccuracies, conflicting info, or speculation.
    I will work with all members to polish this thread as we go and then park it when it garners wide spread approval of accuracy and unbias. Note that this will mean I will have to edit/delete posts in this thread so as to make it consistent, easy to follow, and free from bickering. PLEASE POST FAQs ONLY on here or comments/objections to material in the FAQs. All other posts will be deleted without warning

Please disable your signature when posting in this thread. To do so, click "Go Advanced" when editing a post, then uncheck the "Show your signature" box under "Miscellaneous Options". This will make the thread much easier to read and doesn't affect the signature in your other postings.

The following is a collection of threads that are of common interest to e9x owners.
    Feel free to contribute or post questions in those threads if you think it is relevant (preferable to opening new thread on the same topic).

Frequently Asked Questions (Please start here before posting questions)

ANNOUNCING our own DIY section ***NEW***

E9x: Most miles? Major/Minor problems? (Share your experience)

Ultimate Lease Guide thread

*** NOTICE: Duplicate Posts ***

If you have suggestions for further useful threads that you think should be captured here, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you everyone for your contributions.
    Last edited by WoLF; 06-10-2014 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    I'll start the 1st FAQ:

Q: When should i do my first oil change as recommended by BMW?

A: Follow your car's service indicator. However, you should get a free oil change done after 15k miles max (24000 km) or 1 year, whichever is 1st, should the service indicator specify a longer duration.
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-05-2008 at 01:50 PM.

My Cars
    2010 335i
    Q: Why doesn't my passenger side mirror tilt down when I go in reverse?

A: The feature is NOT standard on all models-- however if you have it, you have to have the selector switch on the driver's door control panel set to the left (driver's side mirror) for it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by nicknaz
    NOTE:

you must have power seats in order to have the tilt down passenger mirror
    Last edited by mryakan; 09-03-2008 at 12:12 PM.

My Cars
    '93 E30, '01 E46 Mtec I
    Q. How do I reset my flat tire pressure monitor without iDrive?

A.

1. Start the engine, but before pulling away, refer to step 2.

2. Using the scroll button on the blinker stalk, scroll until the appropriate symbol (flat tire with exclamaition mark in the center) appears in the display, accompanied by the word "INIT" or "RESET".

3. Press the BC button to confirm your selection.

4. Press BC button again and hold for approx 5 seconds. You will see a check mark appear next to the word "INIT" or "RESET".

5. Start to drive the vehicle 2 to 4 miles at a steady speed and after restarting vehicle the monitor will be reset.

***WARNING***

This does not allow the car to verify tire pressure is correct. It simply calibrates the vehicle to accept the current tire pressure as the correct pressure. This mean that if there is only 10 psi in the tire, which is obviosly low, the light will be reset adn you will not be notified unless it drops below that mark.

YOU MUST CHECK TIRE PRESSURE AND CORRECT BEFORE RESETTING LIGHT

Q. How do I reset my flat tire pressure monitor using iDrive? (Contributed By ChitownIrish)

A.

1. Press the Menu button. This opens the start menu.
    2. Press the controller to open the menu.
    3. Select "Settings" and press the controller.
    4. Select "Vehicle / Tires" and press the controller.
    5. If necessary, move the highlight marker to the uppermost field.
    Turn the controller until "FTM" is selected and press the controller.
    6. Start the engine, but do not start driving.
    7. Select "Reset" and press the controller.
    8. Select "Yes" and press the controller.
    9. Start to drive.

Initialization is completed while the car is in motion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mryakan; 03-13-2008 at 10:38 AM.

My Cars
    94+95 E34, '07 335i E92
    Q. How do I keep the headlight washers that are included in the cold weather package from spraying when I only want to spray the windshield?

A. There are two ways to not have the the headlight washers come on when you want to only spray the windshield.

1. Put the headlights in the off positions before spraying, and the headlight washers will not activate.
    2. Pull the washer stalk back just for one quick spray. It will spray the windshield and not activate the headlight washer. Then you can just wipe the windshield like normal.

My Cars
    2011 328i xDrive M-Sport
    Q: What are all the E9x designation?

A:

The "E" number is BMW's internal designation for the car's basic platform. Starting MY2006
    e90: 3-series sedan (MY06+)
    e91: 3-series wagon (MY07+)
    e92: 3-series coupe (MY06+)
    e93: 3-series convertible (MY07+)
    Last edited by mryakan; 11-03-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add starting model years

My Cars
    2008 128i
    Q: Is the N54 a turbocharged M54?

A: NO http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...8&postcount=27
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-04-2008 at 11:02 PM.

My Cars
    335xi
    Q: Why is the exhaust coming out of only the right side?
    [Originally posted by Rolyf]

In order to enhance the exhaust note emanating from the tailpipe(s), BMW has arranged a thermistor switched, electrically controlled, vacuum operated butterfly valve to close off the tailpipe on the driver's side while the engine warms up. This results in a more pleasant exhaust note when you are first pulling out of your neighborhood.

Q: What is the "Golf Tee Mod"?

A: This is a modification made to the exhaust system to open up both exhaust pipes on a 335i full-time. The first time this was done, the change was done using a golf tee, which fit perfectly.
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-08-2008 at 04:40 PM.

My Cars
    335xi
    Q: Can I disable the seatbelt chime?

A:

Quote Originally Posted by typeS4 View Post
    You can code the car to disable the chime along with many other things.
    *Mod Edit* Check coding info here.
    Last edited by mryakan; 01-12-2012 at 12:43 PM.

My Cars
    335xi
    Q: Do I have another option if I prefer not to use the OEM runflats?

A: If you have a lease, it has to be turned in with the same or equivalent tires (i.e. runflats). But in the mean time, you can swap to traditional tires. a donut spare is available from LeatherZ.com (not for AWD owners, who require equal tire diameters at all times). You can also get a plug kit, or the cans of goo like "Fix-A-Flat" -- but if you do the latter, be sure it is safe for tire-pressure monitoring systems (TPMS)
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-05-2008 at 01:07 PM.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: Where do I find out what all those BMW acronyms stand for and do (e.g. ASC, DSC, DTC, etc.)

A:
    Check out these links:
    http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ide/start.html
    http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ons/Index.aspx
    Last edited by mryakan; 10-29-2009 at 01:53 PM.

My Cars
    2010 335i

About DSC/DTC

Q: What is the difference between DSC and DTC and how do I use them?

A: Dynamic Stability Control is the default operation for your car's stability and traction control systems. Dynamic Traction Control is a different system, where moderate wheelspin is allowed, in order to gain traction in slippery road conditions. To engage DTC, and take the car out of DSC, press the button on your dash, identified below. You will have the ability to spin the tires slightly, but your stability control will be in your hands. By holding the button down, your car eliminates the availability of both systems.

By default DSC = ON DTC = OFF

1 press turns DTC ON (DSC re-engages above 45 MPH, but at lower speeds, mild wheelspin is allowed)

3 sec press = everything off, smoke 'em if you want to.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    Owner's Manual says:
    Attached Images

More clarification to a most confusing topic:

Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    Sorry wrong again.
    Mode #1: By default, DTC is OFF. Full traction control and DSC functionality are ON and the computer will intervene rather aggressively allowing little wheel spin or sideway action.

Mode #2: Push the DTC button once quickly and DTC is engaged (DTC ON), which is a more sporty (dynamic) mode of DSC (which is still on along with traction control). In this mode it allows a bit more wheel spin and sideway action.

Mode #3: If you push and hold the button for 3+ seconds, DSC and all traction control functions are off. You can burn rubber all day long and do donuts if that is your thing.

Braking functions (ABS, ABD, etc) are not impacted in either mode.

Last edited by mryakan; 04-25-2011 at 10:21 PM.

My Cars
    2007 335i Coupe, 2002 325i
    Q: What octane rating should I use when filling up my e9x?

A: The manual states that you can use 87 octane if necessary but that some knocking may occur but they do recommend at least 91. Ideally you should get 91 or 93 minimum to avoid knock and get best efficiency and avoid possible long term damage from excessive knocking. If stuck, 89 or 87 should be ok for a short while.

Quote Originally Posted by jmonier

Note that, for the 335, the minimum octane is 89 per the Owner's Manual.
    Last edited by mryakan; 09-03-2008 at 12:14 PM.

My Cars
    335i Coupe, Saab 9-5 Aero
    Q: Can I repair my runflat tire?

A: Maybe. If you have a clean puncture in the tread area then it is likely that your tire can be permanently and safely repaired by a trained technician. If you drove an excessive distance on the tire, or if the puncture is slit shaped, too big, or in the sidewall then it is unlikely that it can be permanently and safely repaired.
    The above is fact as required by the moderator. The dealer may require replacement, but that is a subject for another thread. Also note that most (if not all) tire manufacturers do not recommend patching a runflat tire.
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-08-2008 at 01:54 PM.

My Cars
    Q: What's this I hear about fuel pump failure on the 335?

A: The 335i engine has the fuel injectors arranged to spray directly into each cylinder rather than into the intake manifold as has traditionally been done. Doing this results in a far more efficient combustion process (higher mpg, more hp, lower emissions) but requires that the fuel pressure be in the thousands of psi instead of under a hundred.
    The fuel pump responsible for generating this pressure is mechanically driven and mounted on the side of the engine.
    A relatively low, but significant, percentage of early fuel pumps failed. This resulted in one or more of these conditions; a "check engine" or "reduced power" message, prolonged cranking to start, failure to start, engine skip or roughness, loss of power, or stalling. No related consequential damage has been reported.
    The failure rate has steadily decreased and it seems apparent that BMW has redesigned the pump and/or the control strategy. Failures still being reported seem to be confined to low mileage cars produced before mid 2007. Dealers now have an ample supply of updated replacement pumps which can be installed in less than a day. All replacements have been covered under the standard warranty plan.
    Last edited by Rolyf; 03-20-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling correction

My Cars
    Q: Is there a coin holder in my E92 Coupe?

There is, but it isn't easy to find. Look inside the center console all the way to the front wall. See that little grid shaped device? That isn't a vent, it's your coin holder! (See attached picture, the coin holder is highlighted in white)
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-08-2008 at 02:41 PM.

My Cars
    Nothing Special
    Quote Originally Posted by robmpulse View Post
    Q. How do I reset my flat tire pressure monitor?

A.

1. Start the engine, but before pulling away, refer to step 2.

2. Using the scroll button on the blinker stalk, scroll until the appropriate symbol (flat tire with exclamaition mark in the center) appears in the display, accompanied by the word "INIT" or "RESET".

3. Press the BC button to confirm your selection.

4. Press BC button again and hold for approx 5 seconds. You will see a check mark appear next to the word "INIT" or "RESET".

5. Start to drive the vehicle 2 to 4 miles at a steady speed and after restarting vehicle the monitor will be reset.

***WARNING***

This does not allow the car to verify tire pressure is correct. It simply calibrates the vehicle to accept the current tire pressure as the correct pressure. This mean that if there is only 10 psi in the tire, which is obviosly low, the light will be reset adn you will not be notified unless it drops below that mark.

YOU MUST CHECK TIRE PRESSURE AND CORRECT BEFORE RESETTING LIGHT

that warning... is somewhat incorrect.

on 07s+ for sure, there is a target pressure (i believe 2.88 bar) for e90s. i can double check. i would also put in here, that YOU MUST infalte tires to the YELLOW sticker not the white one, if the vehicle is equiped with a yellow sticker. we have had many cars in the shop with tire pressures set to the whilte sticker, and upon reading the target pressures of the sensor system in the GT1, the yellow sticker is the correct one. i tell all customers to use the yellow sticker, not the white one.

the next e90 i hook up, ill grab the target pressure so i can confirm that (although i guess its really not needed).

MODERATOR NOTE:
    Although this thread should only be used to post FAQs and should not be used for general discussions, I will leave discussions on this issue here for now and see how it goes in hope any inaccuracies are cleared up. I'll move them elsewhere and edit this thread accordingly when appropriate.
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-12-2008 at 05:44 PM.

My Cars
    2008 128i
    Q: Does my automatic transmission learn the way I drive?

A: Yes and no. It will adapt itself to the way you drive, but it does not store this information.
    Adaptive Features (AGS)
    AGS features were introduced in 1994 with the A5S560Z transmission. AGS control consists
    of adaptive features that will modify transmission operation according to various factors.
    AGS operation can be influenced by two major functional groups:
    • Driver influenced features (influenced by throttle and kickdown input)
    • Environmental influences (such as road conditions - icy, traffic etc.)
    The driving program selection is not adapted on a long term basis - nor is it stored
    in the control module memory when the ignition is switched off. It continually
    changes as the driver of the vehicle changes driving habits.
    Q: Okay, so what does it learn?

A:
    Adaptive Hydraulic Pressure Control
    Pressure adaptation has been a feature of ZF automatic transmissions since the 4HP22EH.
    The TCM will maximize shift quality by adapting to transmission wear over time. The TCM
    will adjust transmission shift pressures to compensate for wear in the multi-plate clutches.
    This is accomplished by monitoring the input and output speeds of the transmission. When
    the transmission shifts, the TCM monitors the time that it takes to accomplish the shift. The
    time change in gear ratio is monitored and compared to an internal time value in the TCM.
    If the ratio change takes more time than the stored value, the TCM will compensate by
    adjusting the transmission shift pressures via the EDS valve solenoids. The adaptation
    value is stored in the TCM. This adaptation values can only be cleared by the diagnostic
    tester (DIS plus or GT-1).
    Note: DO NOT clear adaptation values unless directed to do so by technical assistance.
    Clearing pressure adaptations should not be done to resolve a customer
    complaint. The only time that you would need to do so is after a transmission or
    valve body replacement or software change.
    Also it is important not to confuse pressure adaptation with AGS features. AGS
    features will be discussed later in this chapter. AGS features are not stored on a
    long term basis and will not be cleared when the pressure adaptations are
    cleared. Note: Driving style is NOT stored.
    Source: ST057 Electronic Transmissions

My Cars

Why does my engine take so long to warm up?

Q: Why does my 335's engine take so long to warm up?

A: Actually it doesn't take any longer than any other engine. It just seems to take longer because you are being informed by the much more important engine oil temperature. Most temperature gauges tell you the temperature of the coolant ("antifreeze") in the cylinder head. This is NOT what you need to know, and here's why BMW engineers want you to know the oil temperature.
    It's an old engine builder's maxim that cylinder heads make the power, the block only gets it to the wheels. It's the cylinder head which contains the compressed air/fuel mixture, and where that mix is ignited generating very high temperatures with little heat transfer area. As a result the head heats up much faster than the more massive block.
    Cylinder head temperature is a very poor indicator of the block temperature! There are many rotating and sliding components in the block which may not yet have expanded to the proper size for optimal wear, and the minimization of stress. Yes, you can be getting lots of heat in the passenger compartment, maybe even defrosting that overnight ice accumulation. But the block can still be so cold that frost will be on the block's exterior.
    The oil temperature is a much better indicator of the overall engine temperature. Your engine is NOT 'warmed up' until your oil temperature is in the correct range. Then you can be sure that your crankshaft has lengthened to the point where thrust bearing strain is reduced, that pistons are optimally sized to the cylinders, that journal clearances are dead-on nominal, and cylinder head gasket clamping force is correct. Then go ahead and drive it as it was designed to be driven, knowing that your oil temperature is telling you what you really need to know.
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-17-2008 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Readability

My Cars
    2010 335i

How do I check my oil?

Q: How do I check my oil?

A. This is from the owner's manual.

Note that you may get a clock icon if the car is not ready to display the oil level. Just wait a few more minutes while the engine is running and then check again.
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-17-2008 at 03:08 PM.

My Cars
    Cooper S, Tahoe 4x4
    Place Holder:

Q: What Are the various voice commands with iDrive?
    A: <Pending user update>
    For those having a hard time remembering the Voice commands,

I just tried to post a link to a PDF that contains all the voice commands... I am not allowed because I am a new member. Till that time, I guess I keep this to myself! Will edit this post when the time comes.

I suppose this will count as another post to get me to that 15 post minimum.

Paul
    Last edited by mryakan; 04-01-2008 at 02:18 PM.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: How do I lock the doors from the inside on an E90?
    A: There is a lock button in the middle of the dash under the center vents to lock/unlock the doors. You can also program the car to lock all doors automatically when you start driving. The steps are explained in the manual and can be done using the stalk while the car is parked or at a standstill.
    In additions, each door can be locked individually by pressing down the door lock tab on the door (traditional way), and can be unlocked by using the door handle (1st time unlocks, 2nd time opens the door).

Q: How can I keep the car from locking people inside (kids and or wife) when I have to run into the store for 1 minute?
    A: The car should not automatically lock anyone inside unless it is driven (and the auto lock setting is on as explained above) or if manually locked (as explained above). BMW highly recommends you don't lock anyone inside the car from the outside (logical recommendation). They may choose to lock themselves in though by using the manual locking approaches explained above.
    Last edited by mryakan; 10-22-2009 at 12:21 AM.

My Cars
    06 BMW 750i, 06 Acura TL
    Q: How do I activate auto callup on memory seats?

A: If you have iDrive then do the following:

1. Open the start menu by pressing the MENU button.
    2. Press the controller to open the iDrive menu.
    3. Select "Settings" and press the controller.
    4. Select "Vehicle / Tires" and press the controller.
    5. If necessary, move the highlight marker to the uppermost field. Turn the controller until "Door locks" is selected and press the controller.
    6. Select "Central locking" and press the controller.
    7. Select "Last seat pos." and press the controller.
    8. Select "After unlocking" or "After door opened".
    9. Press the controller
    Last edited by ChitownIrish; 09-03-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    06 750i E65 (CPO), Titanium Silver/Black Leather, Packages: Convenience, Luxury Seating, Premium Sound and Rear Entertainment, Heated Steering Wheel, Comfort Access and Sirius

Sold: 07 E90 335i (shouldn't have gotten the sports seats)

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Q: Which phones are compatible with my car's BT?

A: Check out the approved phone list provided by one of our members.

Quote Originally Posted by nm335 View Post

Pick one from their web site that is compatable.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...blePhones.aspx

Otherwise, it is hit or miss.

You might also consider which phones have a "snap in" adapter available.
    Quote Originally Posted by civon View Post
    If I may, I would like to update the Bluetooth support list by noting that a Windows Phone 7 is compatible with the iDrive system for a 2009 E93.

The contact list also syncs up nicely.
    Last edited by mryakan; 02-26-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: link correction (Thanks to member "Jed")

My Cars
    128i, 328xi, 3.0CS
    Q: My sun roof won't open. What can I do?
    A: You can try recalibrating it. Push the sunroof button up in the middle and hold it up for about two minutes. The sunroof will cycle through all the possible positions and then close. It should work OK now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast