Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: v2.0 413 Tuning thread

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i, 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 325icintn View Post
    Check the addresses of the WOT ignition. You are off. You can either look at the bin in dec format for the blocks of numbers ranging from 60-99 OR find the table of addresses to check the various possible locations. You know they will be 16 x 12 with inputs of d0 and d5 (rpm and load). The WOT and PT ignition tables are close to one another in the bin and share similar values.
    Oops, sorry about that, I screwed up. I took screen shots of them with the wrong bin/xdf selected. I updated the screen shots with the correct data. Does it look okay now?

Quote Originally Posted by techno550 View Post
    the only way to be off like that is to not be finding the maps in a hex editor... and/or not undrstanding the formatting of the tables. which is why we don't share the XDF files. building the XDF is trivial once you understand the format. understanding the format is crucial to being able to effectively use an editor like tunerpro.
    Again, sorry Mike, it was my own clerical error. I somewhat agree with you. I was definitely surprised by how easy it was to build an .xdf once I was able to understand how to identify map/data sections in a hex file using the info you and the other pioneers (NockenPaul, artwar, borealiss, dredder, robstah, 325icitn, and others) laid out in the original 413 thread. You guys are awesome!

This is true. The information in this thread provides the method for understanding the format. By the time you correct the timing maps above, you will understand the format.
    No one xdf covers all versions of the software., so sharing xdf's only takes you so far. I just looked at two different bins today that don't match my primary xdf. If I didn't understand the format, then I could not make an xdf to fit the different software versions.
    In addition, to continue to expand control you have to be able to locate and identify the different types of tables and information.
    Yeah I saw that when checking out the ~94'ish 325is bin Mike posted versus the 95 525i map I pulled off a junkyard DME. They're both 413 bin's, but a quick hex comparison shows they are very different. On the other hand, like you said, it doesn't take that much effort to remap it all if you understand the structure.

I'm kind of hoping that there are less than 10 variations of the 413 bin and that eventually there will be an FTP site where matching .xdf's are available for download. Even if we don't know exactly which production years and models correspond to which 413 bin versions, it seems like it won't be terribly difficult for a tuner to open up the bin in question and then switch through the two or three possible matching xdf's until you get meaningful data in all of your maps. Now this won't work if some of the bin versions are very similar and a tuner could be fooled, but from what I have seen so far, it's an all or nothing thing where it's pretty obvious if you have the right .xdf/.bin combo. I could be wrong though, but ya gotta start somewhere.

techno550 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36's + 300D
    The idea was to potentially have a database of files (bin and def) when there was a community behind it. there isn't, so there isn't. Doing so now is counterproductive.
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    Chevy Cobalt
    Is density@STP a constant that can be adjusted for altitude etc?
    That is not necessary since the HFM gives a direct reading of mass flow.

My Cars
    Chevy Cobalt
    Quote Originally Posted by techno550 View Post
    the only way to be off like that is to not be finding the maps in a hex editor... and/or not undrstanding the formatting of the tables. which is why we don't share the XDF files. building the XDF is trivial once you understand the format. understanding the format is crucial to being able to effectively use an editor like tunerpro.
    We need to get around this problem. The directory is easy, easy, easy for a human to find, but the DME calculates its base address in a somewhat convoluted way (for example, do a hex search for an absolute pointer into the directory and you won't find one). There must be some deterministic way to find the exact offset into the main directory. That is what I was trying to do last time I ran an emulator, but I ran out of time...

If somebody puts me on their payroll, I'd be happy to continue

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by wulfgang View Post
    We need to get around this problem. The directory is easy, easy, easy for a human to find, but the DME calculates its base address in a somewhat convoluted way (for example, do a hex search for an absolute pointer into the directory and you won't find one). There must be some deterministic way to find the exact offset into the main directory. That is what I was trying to do last time I ran an emulator, but I ran out of time...

Something like the function call that the Porsche guys figured out:

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    AND:
    Here are a couple screenshots of the flowcharts that can be made in ida pro. If anyone can help make sense of them feel free to chime in. This is the beginning of the flow chart for the first of many functions

My Cars
    Chevy Cobalt
    Looks nice. Is there an IDA Pro eval version?

My Cars
    89 M3
    Looks nice. Is there an IDA Pro eval version?
    http://www.hex-rays.com/idapro/idadown.htm
    ///MONEYPIT MOTORSPORTS
    89 M3
    00 M5 - DD

My Cars
    Chevy Cobalt
    Quote Originally Posted by rennteknik View Post
    I thought that version did not do 8096. Also says it only supports PE files, and a bin is definitely not a PE.

I see older versions are free. Is anybody running one of the free versions with 8096?

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    there is a plethora of useful info in this thread.....thank you to all involved (specifically, 325icintn and techno555). Once again, it really says A LOT about a tuner that is willing to "share" this type of information at no cost. I know that some other tuners wont even shake your hand without getting paid, let alone give out this type of information.... Props to you guys!
    -M3J0N

techno550 is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36's + 300D

there is a pointer into the directiory of tables. also has pointers to the bits not addressed by that directory (such as the MAF table).
    Michael McCoy TRM

My Cars
    Chevy Cobalt
    Yes, but given a RESET, how does the MCU find that first pointer? It is not hard-coded; it is calculated at run time.

My Cars
    325i, 3/4ton Truck
    I thought that version did not do 8096. Also says it only supports PE files, and a bin is definitely not a PE.

I see older versions are free. Is anybody running one of the free versions with 8096?
    IDA supports 80196 which is the same family of processors as the 8096
    Becoming a Professional OT Troll . CAN Bus Project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuRBQzGs-c VGT/VNT +LDA controller: http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/

Quote Originally Posted by [B]SilverBeam[/B]
    Dude you're the biggest asshole ever. I will never reply to your texts or call you back EVER!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser
    I'm Stupid
    Diesel > gas

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    How about a bump to see what happens?

My Cars
    E28 M5
    wondering whats going on also..

My Cars
    E90 M3
    Yeah, seems like people are mad about JimC's sw not coming out, but will not put in the time to make this work. I'm selling my AEM to go this route, so i will be spending some time...

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    I wish i could tune
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    Chevy Cobalt
    Quote Originally Posted by eficker View Post
    Yeah, seems like people are mad about JimC's sw not coming out, but will not or can not put in the time to make this work.
    Corrected your post.

My Cars
    E90 M3
    I doubt that's the case, cannot is a false term. Anyone can do anything. Whether they choose to or not is the real question. Not whether they can. Anyway.

I'm willing to put in some time. I'm not super code master, but i can figure some crap out. Is there any reason why we can't have a sw gui that will do the work for us for map locations that we have already found? Implement Moates' ostrich to work for our needs? Add in some FI maps where there is room in the rom file? It has been done for almost every other obd1 car make and is almost always a result of community contributions with a few people taking the lead.

I don't think there are piles of money to be made with the sw, but we should be able to figure it out for those of us who care.

My Cars
    00 540iTs Glacier, 06 RR
    You don't need to add FI maps, just modify the existing. The GUI is Tunerpro or WinOLS once you've built the definition file. Ostrich already works with our cars.

My Cars
    325i, 3/4ton Truck
    can anyone post up screen shots of Ostrich2.0 running on our cars
    Becoming a Professional OT Troll . CAN Bus Project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuRBQzGs-c VGT/VNT +LDA controller: http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/

Dude you're the biggest asshole ever. I will never reply to your texts or call you back EVER!!!!!
    I'm Stupid
    Diesel > gas

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    There is no screenshot. It works, I have one. Take my word for it. If you're thinking of the trace, that doesn't work.

My Cars
    325i, 3/4ton Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by a32guy View Post
    There is no screenshot. It works, I have one. Take my word for it. If you're thinking of the trace, that doesn't work.
    sorry but i'm confused. trace?

i'm asking if someone can open up the tool while its running with a car, then press the "Prt Scrn" (print screen) button and post it up.

I'm Stupid
    Diesel > gas

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Well the Ostrich doesn't have any influence of what the software looks like, TunerPro:

If its connected you can emulate and make changes live on the fly.

My Cars
    325i, 3/4ton Truck
    oh, well i have tuner pro. i thought Ostrich2.0 had its own software and interface to tune out of

I'm Stupid
    Diesel > gas

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast