Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does the US support Israel?

My Cars
    88 E30 M3

Why does the US support Israel?

Can someone explain to me why the US supports Israel so much? Isn't that support one of the reasons why Arab nations hate the US so much? Please explain to this confused canuck. Didn't Israel take the land from the Arabs?

My Cars
    1998 4Runner
    This belongs in the war forum!

That and the Israelins rock!!!

-Nate
    1995 M3 - Gone
    2007 335i Sport - Euro Delivery - Gone
    2009 335i Sport - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone
    1998 4Runner - Current

My Cars
    Stage 4 Turbo
    They don't smell as much.

My Cars
    '88 M5
    I don't think a few lines on a message board can adequately express the complex relationship between the USA and Israel. The USA's support of Israel is indeed a central point of friction between the USA and the Arab states. The Israelis don't always act in what would be the best interest of the USA. However, it is worth remembering that Israel is the only functioning democracy in the entire Middle East.

Ventura, Calif. / Scottsdale, Ariz. / Tucson, Ariz
    My Cars
    '96 BMW
    Well when Palestine attacks Israel, it is in the form of random terrorist like attacks. Israel actually has a starchy army and whatnot.

My Cars
    yoyoyo
    actually, it can be boiled down to the fact that imperialistic attitudes which the U.S. has always held close to heart compelled them to take an active role in the formation of an israeli state (READ: Spread of "democracy") 50 some odd years ago. That's pretty much it...
    Wolfgang Reitzle, former CEO of operations at BMW AG, was recently questioned about his new role as head of Ford's PAG, which includes the likes of Aston Martin, Range Rover, Jaguar, and Volvo.

Q: So will your new company car be a Volvo?
    A: No, I will continue to drive my dream car, the BMW M5.

Jeremy Clarkson's Words of Wisdom:
    [referring to Lexus]
    "What this car shows, most of all, is that the Japanese don't have an original thought in their heads. Oh, sure, they are better built than a Mercedes and more silent than a Rolls but where's the elan? Where was the flair? Where was that one tiny detail that made car enthusiasts everywhere stand back, nod sagely, and go "mmmmmmmm"."

"A year and nearly 20,000 miles in the suede-lined saddle of the Lexus IS 300 proved that this high-end sport sedan is HARDLY Japan's answer to BMW's 3 Series." - Bob Gritzinger, Autoweek.

Now that's ALL I have to say about that.

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '
    This should be in the "War On Terrorism" forum

BMW Cigar And Gun Club Member #7

My Cars
    '92 Honda Civic VX
    However, it is worth remembering that Israel is the only functioning democracy in the entire Middle East.
    Then what about Iran or Bahrain? Or even Turkey? Aren't those functioning democracies as well.

Besides, what's supporting Israel gonna get us in return anyways? They behave arrogant as well, especially when they hold more stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction than other countries in that region, yet they are free to do what they want. There's that double standard being applied there, and I would like to keep in mind that the Arab world has their double standards as well. Pretty much, both sides have their own double standards and they should take a close look at themselves and see what they have accomplished in the path for peace.

My Cars
    A dirty one.
    Originally posted by dave is cool
    This should be in the "War On Terrorism" forum
    I disagree. This is a political discussion about why the US supports Israel, not about terrorism directly.

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    Hitler gave Zionism power. After the holocaust, Jews were ready to leave Russia and Europe.

The UK kinda governed Palestine, and Jews were heading to Palestine. This created problems. The Jews attacked UK interests in Palestine, and the UK had oil interests in the Middle East in general, so they could take no real action one way or the other.

Enter the UN where under US and Russian leadership, Israel was carved out of Palestine.

Israel got its first weapons from Russia and Czechoslovakia. Arabs immediately attacked Israel, and Israel was beaten, and then fought back.

After that it's the cold war, oil and the balance of power. As the US was dealing with Korea, Vietnam and all that, Israel became a toehold in one area the US was determined not to leave/abandon. ie the Middle East. Nixon sold Israel some serious weapons in 1973 after the Yom Kippur war and after that, the "special relationship" was born.

Arms sales are arms sales.

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    yea, pretty much wats already been said. it boils down to the US was implementing the marshall plan to halt the spread of communism in europe/the middle east. when the UK relinquished control of the palestinian state in 48, the day after the 2 of the 4 zones it was devided into (2 jewish 2 muslim) attacked the 2 iraeli zones in a coallition with jordan, iraq, iran, egypt, and syria who at the time had just gained independence as well. The iraelis won, and the US decided that to halt the spread of communism, they should use israel as part of their system of US supported states so communism couldnt spread out further. So, we basically bribed them, and gave them weapons. from then on, the wars of 1956 and 1967 were proxy wars, where the superpowers get other countries to fight each other so the actual superpowers dont have to. so ya, its basically a result of the US government under truman and later eisenhower wanting to stop the spread of communism.
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    E90, E34 (retired)
    Originally posted by AudiS4
    Because the jewish population has one of the strongest and most influential lobbies in the US.
    you're right on the dot.

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    Originally posted by shragon
    you're right on the dot.
    why do you really believe that? While its not entirely innaccurate, thats not the vast majority of the reason. *edited to not seem like a flame*
    Last edited by PasadenaE36; 04-21-2003 at 01:09 AM.
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    E90, E34 (retired)
    please don't insult me. i am educated and this is my opinion. if you don't beleive it, or only partially beleive it, fine, so be it.

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    please don't insult me. i am educated and this is my opinion. if you don't beleive it, or only partially beleive it, fine, so be it.
    sorry
    i didnt mean to flame. i am simply wondering the basis of your opinion. again, didnt mean to insult/criticise
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    E90, E34 (retired)
    it's alright man, i know the internet can sometimes not be the greatest place for these types of discussions since we can not see how things are being said and so fourth.

actually after reading your comment above mine, i do agree with what you have said. however, for the reason why the US keeps supporting, in my opinion i mostly agree it is due to the jewish community's strong lobbies in US gov't.

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    it's alright man, i know the internet can sometimes not be the greatest place for these types of discussions since we can not see how things are being said and so fourth.

actually after reading your comment above mine, i do agree with what you have said. however, for the reason why the US keeps supporting, in my opinion i mostly agree it is due to the jewish community's strong lobbies in US gov't.
    for sure. thats what i meant, after the collapse of the USSR there was no reason other than the massive jewish population/influence. good to know we agree
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    E90, E34 (retired)
    funny how things turn out huh?

My Cars
    240SX, RRC,M3
    go bubb rubb!
    1992 Nissan 240SX Track Rat
    1998 M3/4/5 74k mile daily driver
    1990 325i Manual Sedan Project

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    funny how things turn out huh?
    for sure
    ill take face to face communication any day man, this is the perfect example why
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    2011 ZCP E92 M3

Re: Why does the US support Israel?

Originally posted by motoyen
    Can someone explain to me why the US supports Israel so much? Isn't that support one of the reasons why Arab nations hate the US so much? Please explain to this confused canuck. Didn't Israel take the land from the Arabs?
    cuz the whole lobby in the U.S is jewish! let alone Bush's advisors! ...the whole country is controled by jews. As a matter of fact the U.S is like a shield to Israelis, protecting them while Israel as usuall practices their evil actions and slaughters innocent palestinians! :

My Cars
    1995 M3
    It doesn't help matters that the Jews are referred to as the "Chosen People".
    I think this phrase has gone to their heads so is in part responsible for the hubris they embrace.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    N/A

Re: Re: Why does the US support Israel?

Originally posted by marwan
    cuz the whole lobby in the U.S is jewish! let alone Bush's advisors! ...the whole country is controled by jews. As a matter of fact the U.S is like a shield to Israelis, protecting them while Israel as usuall practices their evil actions and slaughters innocent palestinians! :
    Can you say BIAS?

My Cars
    '88 M5
    Originally posted by RalliArtRacer
    Then what about Iran or Bahrain? Or even Turkey? Aren't those functioning democracies as well.
    You mean the Kingdom of Bahrain where political parties are outlawed, or the Islamic Republic of Iran where the "Leader of the Islamic Revolution" (a/k/a the chief of state) is appointed for life?

Turkey is indeed a functioning democracy, but it isn't in the traditional definition of the Middle East.

Re: Re: Why does the US support Israel?

Originally posted by marwan
    With an attitude like that, hopefully you are next. That is of course unless you decide to strap some C4 to your chest and kill civilians.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast