Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: - -CCV(Crankcase/oil Seperator) Fixed!!! w/Pics!!!- -

My Cars
    '98 528i

Thumbs up - -Yes, You Can- -

Quote Originally Posted by lionaht View Post
    problem is i live in an apt and have nowhere to fix it...i can get parts but what good are parts if i can't get them in the car for a decent price. only a few indys here that will even touch bmws...
    - -You can do this in a parking lot at Wal-Mart- -
    * *Guns Don't Kill People, Crazy Mutherf@^#ers Like Me Kill Theives!!!!!!* *
    "Connections Etc." I got what you need! Get at me!!!
    I'm Rich B*%$#h!!!!

My Cars
    2005 525i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by SleekBMW View Post
    please note: in production dates 9/98- the CCV is located UNDER the intake manifold.
    Anything made in or after 9/98 has the CCV in a harder location to get to? Is it essential to take the intake manifold off to get to it? aww snap. mine's a 9/98

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Quote Originally Posted by defaz View Post
    Anything made in or after 9/98 has the CCV in a harder location to get to? Is it essential to take the intake manifold off to get to it? aww snap. mine's a 9/98
    The later cars have it on the back of the manifold. Not easy to get to.
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    2005 525i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
    The later cars have it on the back of the manifold. Not easy to get to.
    The part costs a little less but is it still worth trying to conquer this job myself? I've owned the car for a little over 2 years now, and it still hasn't needed a repair that I could not do myself (thanks to DIYs)... I don't want this to be the first.

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    The part costs a little less but is it still worth trying to conquer this job myself? I've owned the car for a little over 2 years now, and it still hasn't needed a repair that I could not do myself (thanks to DIYs)... I don't want this to be the first.
    Definitely do yourself. How's your valley pan and intake gaskets? You'll be right there if you decide to tackle this. It's not hard at all.

Jared
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    2005 525i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
    Definitely do yourself. How's your valley pan and intake gaskets? You'll be right there if you decide to tackle this. It's not hard at all.

Jared
    I can only assume that after 172k they're in about the same shape as my CCV... I might just have to pick up the extra parts and tackle all I can while I'm in there.... I might just have to take a bunch of pictures and make a DIY for the post-9/98 CCV swap.

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    I can only assume that after 172k they're in about the same shape as my CCV... I might just have to pick up the extra parts and tackle all I can while I'm in there.... I might just have to take a bunch of pictures and make a DIY for the post-9/98 CCV swap.
    There's a couple DIYs on other sites but I don't think there's a complete one here. I did mine and it wasn't bad at all. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

My Cars
    E46
    my neighbor has a e39. We tried to look for the ccv for over 1 hr but we couldnt located it lol. Now i look at the pic, i still dont know exactly where it is since the pics are a little blurry. Can someone pin point me where this ccv is? Thanks.

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    What car/engine?

My Cars
    E46
    he has an 02 530i

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    It's up under the intake.

My Cars
    E46
    really? Wow, i thought we were very thorough with the search. My next guess would be under the manifold somewhere.

we removed the intake box but nothing ..

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Not the filter box, over next to the engine under the intake manifold.

My Cars
    90 525 95 impala ss
    For the most part all you have to do is follow the oil dip stick up and it should split the part that splits goes to the bottom of the ccv, most of the time im not sure about the v8

My Cars
    2008 tundra 1998 528I
    i just started to get code p0305

bad idle and misses up to 2000 rpm and then it goes away.
    come back when below it

and after a short while the engine will just start to run fine with no issue.
    and the cel will also go out
    there sounds like there is a vacuum leak under the hood as well as strange unburned gas type at the rear. no smoke though....

could this ccv be the issue?

sorry im dragging up a old thread but better than starting a new one

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    damn i dont get it, i have a 98 528i as well, and my ccv is like directly under the intake manifold... theres nothing at all on mine in the location where yours is.. wth?

and mines from 1/1998
    Last edited by marky227; 09-12-2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Bmw 530i & G35S
    Do you know where will be located on a 530i 2006?

My Cars
    1995 540I and 525I
    Quote Originally Posted by kokoman View Post
    How in the world did you get the CCV valve out??? i tryed today for 2 hours and still couldnt get it out, so i just unplugged the bottom tube and flushed the CCV with carb cleaner... well the car started to work better... but back to my question how did you get it out??
    I can't believe it honestly takes people over 2 hours to 4 or more to change a ccv valve.
    I did mine in two hours and even replaced the non cold climate type with a cold climate type as well as the lines to cold climate including the dip stick tube and this was my first time.
    My ccv was fine but the dipstick tube drain from the ccv was plugged, I was able to clear the plug but figured might as well replace it.
    Whole job was done in 2 hours. Hardest part was installing the cold climate valve, the insulation makes it a tighter fit.

It's not rocket science, remove the air cleaner, maf, rubber elbow to the throttle body, remove the disa, remove the throttle body, disconnect ccv lines from the valve cover, intake and dipstick drain. remove the two torx screws from the ccv. Easier to actually break the lines off the ccv to get it out.
    Found it easier to not install any lines on the replacement ccv, one of the lines actually requires that you rotate it to remove and install. However I found if you spray the o-rings with silicone they'll all easily press on, just listen for the click.

Prior to changing the ccv my oil consumption was about a quart every 500 miles, and I was only able to get about 350 miles on a tank of gas.
    Since changing the ccv oil consumption has gone to near zero and now I can get about 500 miles on a tank of fuel at a constant speed of 85 to 90mph, combined city and highway about 400 miles. Not bad for an m54 e39 and a driver who has a heavy right foot.

Now I have to change the upstream o2 sensor that got contaminated because of the excessive oil in the intake from the plugged ccv drain line.

Total cost of parts, cold climate ccv with all the cold climate lines was $106 (oembimmerparts), cold climate dip stick tube was about $80 (ecs).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12