Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Z3 DIY - How to replace your entire interior

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe,07 Audi RS4

Gibber66, can you offer any details around step 3.f?

Gibber66, thanks for the great write-up.

I was hoping you could give some details around step 3.f.

I am trying to get the console out of my Coupe and I am struggling with disconnecting all of the A\C Heater controls and the lower switches for the seat heaters, ASC, etc. Did you remove the side panels that run from that section to the front of the car to get to the back of the switches\dials?

Thanks,
    Jay

My Cars
    Z3, M5
    Are you an auto? Manual trans can just remove the shift boot, and push the switch out from behind.

As for climate control, release the 2 screws on the sides after you pull out the radio. Then there's 2 plastic tabs to release on top of the climate control unit. It will just drop back as a unit. Don't disassemble the cables on it-

I just swapped interiors recently too.

My Cars
    98 BMW Z3 2.8, 91 Volvo 940 SE
    Hey Jay!
    Talk about a blast from the past! Joemamaman's comment is right on. Remove the radio and shifter cover and you have much better access. Separate the heater/ac controls from the back and just leave them on the floor. Pop the ASC, etc, switches from the back, disconnect, label the wiring harness and set the switches aside, then keep following the write up to remove the center console. Mind you, mine's a roadster and yours is a Coupe so not everything is necessarily identical. Rule of thumb, never force anything to move....but in some instances "strong nudging" may be required. Hope it works.
    Cheers!
    Gibber

'98 BMW Z3 2.8 -- S52 Cams/Dinan CAI & Twr Strut/Butt Strut/JC Shark/SS DTM Exhaust/Eurosport UDPs/Fan Delete/Eurosport M50 Mani/E30 3.73 LSD/JBRacing & RE LWF+Clutch/Evo M3 6-speed

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER

dashboard removal

Quote Originally Posted by MCOUP View Post
    More and more...
    Hey MCoup, It took me a moment, but your car is right-hand drive...right? The cluster cover above the instrument panel on the dashboard is on the right and mine is on the left...LOL Nice post & very informative. I have the extended leather and have made my own creative changes to the leather. When I bought the car, the leather was lifting up from the dashboard. I'll post some pics so everyone can see my creativity. It was the best I could do without removing the dash...a job I did not want to undertake. Maybe I will give it a try in the future. However, I did dye all of the leather...seats, dash, and door panels....what an experience!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber66 View Post
    How about I talk you through it and I watch?
    Hey Gibber, it might be easier for you to talk me through the dash removal since I live in the B'ham area...Calera to be exact. LOL Hey, MCoup mentioned the cluster cover above the instrument panel could be removed separately. Doesn't the entire dash need to be removed before the hump can be removed? It would be nice if it could be removed without removing the entire dashboard.
    Last edited by MORRIE; 10-14-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE View Post

Hey Gibber, it might be easier for you to talk me through the dash removal since I live in the B'ham area...Calera to be exact. LOL Hey, MCoup mentioned the cluster cover above the instrument panel could be removed separately. Doesn't the entire dash need to be removed before the hump can be removed? It would be nice if it could be removed without removing the entire dashboard.
    It can be removed without pulling the dash- I just swapped out my dash pods for black ones and left the dash in place. You would have to remove the entire pod though to remove the gauge hood/hump as far as I could tell.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackM

It can be removed without pulling the dash- I just swapped out my dash pods for black ones and left the dash in place. You would have to remove the entire pod though to remove the gauge hood/hump as far as I could tell.
    +1 Center Console can be removed w/o having to remove the dash

'98 BMW Z3 2.8 -- S52 Cams/Dinan CAI & Twr Strut/Butt Strut/JC Shark/SS DTM Exhaust/Eurosport UDPs/Fan Delete/Eurosport M50 Mani/E30 3.73 LSD/JBRacing & RE LWF+Clutch/Evo M3 6-speed

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER

the hump

Just to make certain that I understand you guys...I am aware that the center console can be removed without removing the dash, but I do not want to remove that item. My question is this: Can the "hump"' portion of the dash just above the instrument panel be removed without removing the entire dash? (see photo) Thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MORRIE; 10-15-2012 at 07:30 PM.

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Yes it can, however you will probably need to remove the entire drivers side dash "pod" to get to the screws that hold the hump to the pod, ie the entire piece that houses the gauges, vent, headlight pull, etc. Let me know if this doesn't make sense. The dash does NOT need to be removed.
    Last edited by BlackjackM; 10-15-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by MORRIE
    Just to make certain that I understand you guys...I am aware that the center console can be removed without removing the dash, but I do not want to remove that item. My question is this: Can the "hump"' portion of the dash just above the instrument panel be removed without removing the entire dash? (see photo) Thanks in advance for your help.
    Misunderstood you. Thanks for clarifying. Haven't needed to, but as the post above indicates, should be able to. I've removed the gauge cluster a few times without removing anything...to include steering wheel. Once removed, you should hopefully have access to remove gauge "hump"...but I suspect that would be one very tight space to negotiate.

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Misunderstood you. Thanks for clarifying. Haven't needed to, but as the post above indicates, should be able to. I've removed the gauge cluster a few times without removing anything...to include steering wheel. Once removed, you should hopefully have access to remove gauge "hump"...but I suspect that would be one very tight space to negotiate.
    The main problem is the screws that hold the hump to the pod face away from the driver. Maybe you could figure out a way to get them out without removing the pod, I didn't try.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER

the hump

Thanks for the information. BMW just did NOT make it easy for DIY projects

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Wojtek79 View Post
    Great thread.
    Thanks brother!

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,
    It came in handy today when I pulled out my rear carpet. I am thinking of tackling the front half, but I am scared of the gas pedal breaking.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Wojtek79 View Post
    It came in handy today when I pulled out my rear carpet. I am thinking of tackling the front half, but I am scared of the gas pedal breaking.
    That one is a bit of a pain, but just be patient, it will come out.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Gibber66, I just wanna say thank you soooooo much for this writeup. It was a godsend! I have successfully replaced my entire interior. Thank you thank you thank you!

Brad

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by xsirxx View Post
    Gibber66, I just wanna say thank you soooooo much for this writeup. It was a godsend! I have successfully replaced my entire interior. Thank you thank you thank you!

Brad
    Excellent! That's what the thread was for. Post up some pics or do you have a thread? Always want to see what others come up with.

Cheers!
    Gibber

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by xsirxx View Post

Brad
    +1--used it today.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    +1--used it today.
    Shucks...I'll consider that high praise from the man who mastered these! (two of my favorite threads and would love to hear the latest on your VFSC impressions):
    Bought-a-salvage-M-Roadie-yesterday
    VF-SC-kit-instal-notes

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    I must say that in the 10 years I've been on the board, this was one of my more favorite threads.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by z3papa View Post
    I must say that in the 10 years I've been on the board, this was one of my more favorite threads.
    I agree--this is a great thread--I've referenced it several times.

Shucks...I'll consider that high praise from the man who mastered these! (two of my favorite threads and would love to hear the latest on your VFSC impressions):
    Bought-a-salvage-M-Roadie-yesterday
    VF-SC-kit-instal-notes
    Thanks for the complement. I had the VF Charger out recently replacing the alternator, so I am reminded of the install thread. Install Note: just go ahead and replace the alternator when you install the charger the first time. Install Note: only buy a compact 115 amp replacement alternator NOT the 140 amp that every source says is the correct fit--it's not (at least not without some metal removal--don't ask me). If you buy a Bosch replacement, buy a pulley for it as well.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 M Coupe
    hello! incase you didn't get my message because it didn't look like it sent, me and partymarty are doing an interior swap very soon, i would beyond appreciate it if you could please give me your cell number in case we have any emergencies. also would love to know how long it took to rip it apart and put it back together again. we're shooting for 8 hours per car, is that too little time or do you think we can pull it off? thanks a lot for your help and your thread!

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Three years later and been procrastinating attempting to remove the hump and the pod WITHOUT removing the entire dash. I also want to remove the passenger side pod and air bag cover. I am thinking the most difficult portion will be the driver side. Here are some photos where the hump and pod have been removed and covered. I don't know if the dash was removed, but as you can clearly see, the hump & pod are separated. So I am hopeful that this can be done WITHOUT removing the entire dash and the steering wheel. However, I am really concerned about the three screws where the heads are facing the windshield. I have talked to an upholstery shop and they will cover everything for me...even making sure the stitching is properly done. Any thoughts from anyone? BTW if anyone wants to volunteer to help, give me a shout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MORRIE; 12-06-2015 at 10:54 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster
    Wow - awesome guide!

My Cars
    2001 BMZ Z3
    I was reading the Step 1 area where seat removal and battery disconnecting was noted.
    Then it says to wait 10 minutes. Why is this and what happens if one does it sooner?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast