Thread: Best place to mount-how to tune- Racelogic TC box ? Alan Taur? Other users?

My Cars
    AA Stage 2 M3, Acura MDX

Best place to mount-how to tune- Racelogic TC box ? Alan Taur? Other users?

I am installing the Racelogic TC box in my 95 M3 (OBD-1, doesn't work on OBD-2) and am trying to figure out where to stick the control unit.

I know Alan as well as a few other people have installed the units--I'd like to avoid the glovebox but still be able to access the unit for tuning.

Or should one tune it and then just hide it under the glove box since it is not touched after that?

And, if there are any other tips re this unit on its setup, or if someone could share a good set of tweaked parameters, that would be great.

Thanks,

Ham

My Cars
    M3 Evo 3.2 (Euro)
    My unit is piggybacked onto the ECU. This minimises on the wire lengths. I run the diagnostic LED and serial connector through where the BMW flashlight should sit in the glovebox.

I ran the control unit into the center console and hid that in a special compartment. I can get to the controls and the launch button pretty easily but can be hidden from view.

This makes it very neat and tidy.
    96 M3 Evo 3.2(Euro) 321 bhp,6 Spd. You name the mod, I probably have it this side of forced induction.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Hello.

I also mounted/piggybacked the main unit on top of the DME. I used some industrial Velcro to attach them together. Inside the cabin, I modified the cigarette lighter to have it become my adjuster for the traction control. I don't smoke, so I didn't mind losing that function. I just wanted the most stealthy installation possible. Also, I used a factory ASC switch as the launch control switch. I wired in a relay that lights up the "ASC" switch when the unit switch is turned to the off position. Of course, this light only works when I have a 96-99 US M3 instrument cluster in place, as the original 95 M3 and my current Euro cluster do not have a "ASC" warning light (Euro M3s never had traction control in any year).

Have fun!

-Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    M3 Evo 3.2 (Euro)
    I actually hid the entire unit in my ashtray. Whenever I want to access it, I click open the ashtray and its inside. And since the ashtray is lit, a light shines on it at night.

Alan, I love your setup, but I have the Z8 starter button where the lighter was.
    96 M3 Evo 3.2(Euro) 321 bhp,6 Spd. You name the mod, I probably have it this side of forced induction.

My Cars
    96 M3, 86 Saleen Mustang, 96 FullSize Bronco
    Hey Alan, I threw you an email regarding a part in your car that I need some help finding...did you ever get the email?
    96 Arctic Silver M3 - Kuhmo Estcas on Hartge Type D 18's, PAR Intake, Sharked, Elipsoids w/ Gen Iv HID Blue DDE's and smoke corners/SuperFog, TMS LTW flywheel & TME's, X-Brace, JT RSM's,ConeCam video gear & stealth mounted V1 w/ InV1siMirror,JT undertray, Motorsport rotors w/ Ferodo DS 3000 and 2500's, Bilstein Sports with Eibach's,SwayBarbarians & UUC SS Comp Evo SSK, SuperSprint exhaust and Schroth harness'es, JT brake ducts......Coming - front and rear JT braces...
    My name is Juan Pablo Montoya. You lapped my father. Prepare to die.

My Cars
    AA Stage 2 M3, Acura MDX
    those are all neat installs.

I am having AA do the work, and I was thinking a simple start for placing the control would be to stick it on the dash in the recess just in front of the ignition switch, below the instrument cluster.

There it would be accessible but out of the way.

Only problem: I don't have the car or unit here, so I can't test fit it.

Do you all think it would interfere with the keys or be real clumsy there?

And, re placing the box on the DME unit, I guess it is safe there? Also, do I (they) need to purchase a control cable to snake into the glove box? Is it a regular RS-232 or something else?

Finally, any tricks/advice/settings etc re tuning/programming/using the unit? I will have stock tires and the AA Supercharger, with an upgraded GC Track/School coil-over suspension.

thanks!

My Cars
    95 M3
    Originally posted by AgileM3
    Hey Alan, I threw you an email regarding a part in your car that I need some help finding...did you ever get the email?
    I don't think so. Could you resend it? Thanks.

-Alan

My Cars
    M3 Evo 3.2 (Euro)
    Your TC should come with the necessary cablings. It is a RS232 connector and they supply a spare just in case. You'll need to be careful with their plug cover because its too bulky to connect to some laptops such as my Compaq but worked on my IBM.

As for setups, if you purchased the fully adjustable version then play around with it and choose the setting that best matches your driving. The standard dry and wet settings are good for everyday use.

Depending on the type of tracking you do or autox, choose the slip levels that match your style.

Please explain?

OK, I am being stupid. What doesthe RacelogicTC box do? Would this be an advantage for a car which is 90% Auto-X/Road Course?Please advise.