Thread: Oil OBC

My Cars
    1999 M3

Oil OBC

My oil level was below the first block on the stick, but no oil level warning on the OBC.( 99 18 button OBC). ??

My Cars
    95 M3
    we have a low oil pressure light. never hear of a low oil level light on an e36

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Manual says there will be low level warning on OBC display. My e30 325 e had indicator light on overhead panel. Can't imagine the M would have less technology.

My Cars
    95 M3
    low oil would equal low oil pressure, no? how does it measure the oil level electronically? the newer cars use a float (just like coolant level) and ive never seen a float on the oil pan?

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Mmm...don't think so. But I'm sure more experience will weigh in.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Coupe
    There is no low oil level indicator on the E36. There was a level sensor on E30's with the I6 engine (I had to replace this once) but there is not one on the E36, so yes, they have less technology in that respect. Perhaps a euro engine will have this, but not a US spec.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    The "dumby light" (No pun intended) turns on at a ridiculously low level. You need to check on your own. Most likely if the light turns on, you are about 2 to 3 qts low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't recall how I know this.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    See page 105 in 99 M3 owners manual. This would seem to indicate there IS a low level sensor??

My Cars
    TV '97 M3/4/5
    no oil level sensor. oil light would turn on as others said if it were drastically low and maybe then the obc would tell you it was low. ive never had my oil that low to know anyways. on my cluster there is a sticker that says check oil level regularly so i dont see why an oil level sensor would be needed.

['97 M3/4/5 TV/DOVE-CSL Reps- GC Street Coils with Konis- 55w ZKWs- Remus Exhaust- Dinan Headers- Dinan CAI- BW Boot- ASC delete]

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman
    The red oil indicator light will flash on the dash when you get to around 4 quarts of oil.

Tapatalk

Rule the Bends, Bend the Rules

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMM View Post
    See page 105 in 99 M3 owners manual. This would seem to indicate there IS a low level sensor??
    Read our lips: there was never an oil level sensor on the US model E36 M3, period. The red oil warning light is for low oil pressure, and is not to be ignored.

There was one on the Euro E36 M3, and certain very early non-M E36 models may have had an oil pan version that included provision for mounting the sensor, but none was ever fitted.

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 07-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    To add some info in case someone else dig this up.

Yes, the Euro M3 has the oil level sensor in the sump, but only the 3.2 model. The 3.0 doesn't and that why it has the extra sticker on the cluster (like the US M3) to "Check engine oil regularly". The 3.2 don't have this sticker, as it has the sensor (which throws a light in the cluster).
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/