Thread: radiator and expansion tank replacement

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s

Question radiator and expansion tank replacement

I am currently talking with BMW NA regarding replacing the expansion tank when my radiator started leaking (2000 740i sport). They replaced the radiator under warranty, but since the expansion tank isn't (yet) leaking, their policy is only to replace broken parts. The rep explained (in his view) that the expansion tank only holds anti-freeze for a short time & is not under pressure like the radiator. So his theory is the radiator would be much more apt to leak than the expansion tank. But he WAS surprised the radiator (& expansion tank) are made out of plastic. I know I've seen multiple posts of people complaining that they replaced their radiator only to have the expansion tank give out shortly thereafter. I don't want to get stranded when the expansion tank starts leaking. Any ideas on what to say? I'm don't know a whole lot about the mechanicals of our cars.

My Cars
    325es
    Well the expansion tank is under pressure all the time and thats why it has 1.5 bar pressure cap on it.!
    The expansion tank is made of plastic and yes so is the radiator
    and in some case they have split and leaked.
    Only leaking parts can be replaced under warranty unless the Dealer is willing to do a goodwill on their own.
    The reason the tank leaks after a radiator leak is because the higher temps the car was running at the time of the leaking rad only manifest after the system pressure of1.5 bar is bulit up again
    and then the tank that is now dry britul gives loose.
    Goodluck

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Thanks, Martin. I'm going to give BMW NA a call back & see where it goes....:eyes1
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s

I received a phone call from BMW/NA and after talking with some of the BMW tech guys, they decided to honor my request & replace my expansion tank for free. The representative from BMW at first wasn't quite up to speed on our plastic radiator/expansion tank issues. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised! All I need to do now is wait until the head service guy (Mr. Tetiva, I believe) at Crevier returns from vacation in 2 weeks & set up an appointment with him. I guess it pays to pursue things if you believe you are correct. If I would have left it with the decision just from Crevier, I would have been out of luck. Can't really blame Crevier, though. They were following BMWs rules of if it aint broke, don't fix it. Anyway, 2 thumbs up to BMW/NA for standing up on this issue. Martin, thanks for your encouraging words, also.
    :
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    325es
    Your welcome and iam glad you got the results you needed.
    BMW na does take care of their customers,but sometimes i little extra push is needed.
    Well enjoy your BMW
    Martin. :