Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P0444 Purge Control Valve Help

My Cars
    318i convertible 03/1996
    Quote Originally Posted by JLWilson View Post
    May just be a coincidence, but my P0444 code popped up within a week after replacing my thermostat to clear the P0128...
    same here how did you fix it?

My Cars
    2001 325Cic 2007 335i
    same issue here 2001 325CIC replaced the thermostat P0128 and now getting P0444 code either of you replace the Purge control valve to fix problem?

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    I don't want to just throw parts at it without knowing for certain that the valve is bad. Does anyone have a diagnostic procedure for it? Check resistance? Check if it is open or closed when energized, etc?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    A simple Google search:https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=530i+purge+control+valve+testing. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful to you, edbikerii . I attempt to find an answer to questions posted, especially if I am unsure of the definitive answer and, it may help to solve problems I may face in the future. All within time constraints, for that, I apologize if you were offended.
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 09-05-2016 at 12:18 AM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Yes, simple google search yields a bunch of half-informed "this is how you change it" BS as usual.

I would prefer to know how to DIAGNOSE the problem rather than throwing parts at it until I get lucky and it gets solved.

So, I was getting a SES with P0444. I cleaned the gas cap and rim, but code came back next startup. So, I replaced the purge valve, but the P0444 came back after a few drives (money wasted throwing parts at it to try to get lucky), and now I have a P0441 too! When I checked the new valve, it was open (I could suck air through it) when no voltage was applied to it. I assumed that to be normal, and assumed that when voltage was applied, it would then close. So now I have checked the OLD valve and it seems that it is CLOSED when no voltage is applied to it, and it OPENS when voltage is applied.

Question 1: Does anyone know which is normal?

Question 2: Does anyone know how I can check my gas cap? Again, I hate throwing parts at a problem without knowing what the real fault is.

Any other advice?

Thanks,
    Ed

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    So I guess you don't know the answers to either of my questions, even after I went through all those tests and reported my own results, then. Thanks a lot. Next time someone asks a question here that you don't know the answer to, be sure to insult them by asking them if they have googled it, and assume that they haven't bothered to read the results. That's the most helpful thing to do, of course.
    Have a great day.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Update: I cleaned the gas cap with silicone lube, made sure it clicks smoothly when turned against the base by hand off the car. I removed the seal from the cap and gave it a thorough clean with silicone lube and then reinstalled it. Now I have driven the car several cycles without the EVAP codes coming back. Seems that the problem may have been the gas cap all along.
    The seal was certainly not 100% but didn't seem too bad. I guess after 14 years it must be compressed and just due for a replacement.
    Thanks everyone. If anything else happens w/r/t this I will post.
    Thanks,
    Ed

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    A simple Google search:https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=530i+purge+control+valve+testing. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful to you, edbikerii . I attempt to find an answer to questions posted, especially if I am unsure of the definitive answer and, it may help to solve problems I may face in the future. All within time constraints, for that, I apologize if you were offended.
    Thanks Mikyzz4. I apologize for getting huffy, as well. I just got upset about that other "spoon feeding" comment. I certainly am not that type. I have contributed significant knowledge and experience on several automotive & motorcycle boards over the years, though I may be relatively new here. Hopefully we will have more positive future interactions!

Thanks,
    Ed

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Thanks Ed, and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 09-05-2016 at 11:22 PM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Update2: 0441 came back and kept coming back every 2 days. I tested the old and new evap purge valves and both behave identically. Both "click" with 12v across terminals, and both are closed when not energized (I can only blow air through when energized). So I have swapped the new unit out for the old and P0444 came back. Weird. Today I bought OEM evap purge valve from dealer. Will change it out shortly and report again.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Success!!! 0n 9/16/2016 I replaced the aftermarket evap purge valve with an OEM unit. This morning the OBD II evap system test completed successfully, and I have no SES light! So the fix was to get rid of that aftermarket ebay evap purge valve and replace it with OEM.

To recap, I was getting P0444, then replaced evap
    purge valve with $20 eBay aftermarket valve. Then I started getting P0441 instead. I replaced the gas cap with OEM - no change. I did a bunch of time-wasting checking hoses and valves, clearing codes and waiting days for the drive cycles to complete and the code to come back. Meantime, I learned that the Siemens engine management system does not simply open the valve with a 12V signal, it actually sends a 10 Hz pulse through it, so the simple on=open/off=closed tests are not sufficient (my old worn out valve still passes that test, as does the aftermarket valve). I then replaced the aftermarket evap purge valve with new OEM, then ran it for another few days until it met the OBD II drive cycle and reported that the evap system test was complete, and PROBLEM SOLVED! I have asked the eBay vendor for a refund. Let's see how that goes.

2002 E39 530i M54 3.0L straight six. ~113500 miles SES came on.

Good luck!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    It has been a couple weeks since the problem was fixed, and I just want to update the group that the aftermarket EVAP Purge Valve was definitely the cause of my P0441 code. After I replaced it with the new OEM unit, I have had no problem at all, and the code has not come back.

Had I simply used the OEM part in the first place, I would have saved myself a bunch of time troubleshooting, especially since there is no way to adequately test the EVAP Purge Valve that would have indicated this failure. As I said earlier, 12V across the terminals opens the valve, but the old, failed valve (which causes P0444) still opens with 12V, too. The ECU cycles it open/closed, so there is no easy way to test it.

The vendor issued me a refund last night as well.

I hope this helps somebody.

Thank you,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edbikerii View Post
    Success!!! 0n 9/16/2016 I replaced the aftermarket evap purge valve with an OEM unit. This morning the OBD II evap system test completed successfully, and I have no SES light! So the fix was to get rid of that aftermarket ebay evap purge valve and replace it with OEM.

To recap, I was getting P0444, then replaced evap
    purge valve with $20 eBay aftermarket valve. Then I started getting P0441 instead. I replaced the gas cap with OEM - no change. I did a bunch of time-wasting checking hoses and valves, clearing codes and waiting days for the drive cycles to complete and the code to come back. Meantime, I learned that the Siemens engine management system does not simply open the valve with a 12V signal, it actually sends a 10 Hz pulse through it, so the simple on=open/off=closed tests are not sufficient (my old worn out valve still passes that test, as does the aftermarket valve). I then replaced the aftermarket evap purge valve with new OEM, then ran it for another few days until it met the OBD II drive cycle and reported that the evap system test was complete, and PROBLEM SOLVED! I have asked the eBay vendor for a refund. Let's see how that goes.

2002 E39 530i M54 3.0L straight six. ~113500 miles SES came on.

Good luck!

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i
    Hello Nathan,do you mind me asking where in Tampa are you located? I just bought a 2002 BMW 530i that looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor,but it's got a few lights on and don't even get me started with the Nav/Cd/DVD. I would like to befriend a fellow BMW enthusiast that also has the knowledge and know~how to fix the brilliant engineering of the Germans. If you could be that fella,I'd like to get together and buy you a beer or 3 and watch you work your expertise on my ultimate driving machine. If interested,please respond. My email is atwfla@gmail.com,I look forward to hearing from you,Jeff

My Cars
    BMW 550i 2009 V8
    VIDEO on Evaporative Purge Solenoid replacement is here, shows the location for those who don't know. Code P0444

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alDepqhXRnU

Cheers!

My Cars
    2004 bmw 745i

Post where can i get my car fix at that place in dallas

[QUOTE=kttja;21411724]Autozone scanned my 05 BMW 745Li for the code P0444
    P0444 Evap Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open

It turned out to be the fuel tank breather valve which was stuck open (sporadically)
    Certified side shop I found on craigslist quoted me $250 for the entire repair. Took a little under 2 hours.
    BMW Part Number for my 745Li is: 13 90 7 506 739

Part can be found here (Enter your make and model):
    http://www.koperformance.com/online_...t_log=26409263

DIY for a M5 description and pictures are here:
    http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...e-code-e8.html

Parts and Diagram also can be found here:
    http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/products/FUEL-TANK-BREATHER-VALVE/1317730/1

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The dmtl pump module might have the valve built into it. So every couple off drive cycles the dmtl module/pump comes on fills the evap system with slightly pressurized air, if there are no leaks found , the check engine light stays off, but the dmtl module senses a leak, check engine light comes on faults, large leak, most likely loose or missing gas cap. Small leak bad seal on gas cap or leak in the other part of the system or fine, micro fine. Any your solenoid might be part of the dmtl module

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Hey everyone, quick question... My wife's car VERY intermittently gets the P0444 code, but when it happens it's also associated with P1345 which is cylinder miss-fire #3 I believe. The only time this happens is on cold starts, usually in the morning even though the car is parked in the garage, almost never happens in the summer.

However, very often, she will complain about a rough idle that goes away after a short drive or warm up... i've felt and experienced this too. This is basically something that has been plaguing us since we bought the car almost 2 years ago. Since then, we have replaced the spark plugs and the ignition coils and the miss-fire code kept returning. I swapped out the ignition coil with cylinder 2 and since then (about 2 months ago) the SES light for miss-fire has not come back, BUT, she still complains of a slight rough idle.

I've checked for vacuum leaks, nothing found, cleaned the MAF sensor, and the issue persists. Is it worth replacing the purge control unit even though the ghost code comes up very scarcely?

Car in question is 2003 330ci with about 155k miles.
    Last edited by RuskiE39; 03-26-2017 at 04:49 PM.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    2002 330i
    Hello,
    I tried to remove the purge valve to test. But I found out that the "fuel tank breather line" not connect from the other side (I think the throttle body).
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...98#13907557924

Please show me how to install plug it back? How to access to that area?
    I have the 2002 330i.

Thank you

My Cars
    E28, E32, E39, E53, E90
    Here's a very detailed M54 DIY video guide to resolve the P0444:

Last edited by rbelton; 09-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.

My Cars
    325i,ZL1,TBSS,chevyvan
    Mine was fixed with gas cap from Oreilly's, Stant. P0444 was error code. 2004 325i.

My Cars
    911, BMW Race cars

P0444+p1351

Quote Originally Posted by RuskiE39 View Post
    Hey everyone, quick question... My wife's car VERY intermittently gets the P0444 code, but when it happens it's also associated with P1345 which is cylinder miss-fire #3 I believe. The only time this happens is on cold starts, usually in the morning even though the car is parked in the garage, almost never happens in the summer.

However, very often, she will complain about a rough idle that goes away after a short drive or warm up... i've felt and experienced this too. This is basically something that has been plaguing us since we bought the car almost 2 years ago. Since then, we have replaced the spark plugs and the ignition coils and the miss-fire code kept returning. I swapped out the ignition coil with cylinder 2 and since then (about 2 months ago) the SES light for miss-fire has not come back, BUT, she still complains of a slight rough idle.

I've checked for vacuum leaks, nothing found, cleaned the MAF sensor, and the issue persists. Is it worth replacing the purge control unit even though the ghost code comes up very scarcely?

Car in question is 2003 330ci with about 155k miles.
    Did you ever get this resolved? My car has EXACT same behavior, except #5 cylinder. P0444+P1351. I recently got this car from a mechanic, and the he mentioned the coil packs were changed recently, the CCV was done, and the plugs are relatively new. I would really like to know the final diagnosis on this car, since I bet mine has the exact same issue.

Thanks in advance.
    - J

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I would inspect and clean gas cap seal,
    also give up the habit of leaving engine running during gas-up(if applicable).

My Cars
    04 ZHP, 83 320i, 00 M5
    ^ just had this problem on my e39. Replaced the bad gas cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _________

1980 320i - Kashmir Metallic - Sold in 1993
    1985 535i - Cosmosblau Metallic - Sold in 1995
    1985 535i - 1985-06 - Delphin Metallic - Sold in 2016
    1983 320i - 1982-09 - Kashmir Metallic - Currently own!
    2004 ZHP - 2003-08 - Titanium Metallic - Currently own!
    2000 M5 - 2000-02 Titanium Silver - Currently own!

My Cars
    2004 330xi
    Hi,

New to the forum (and new to owning BMW's) so my apologies if this exact instance has already been posted about. A little background, on 12/17/18 I bought a 2004 330xi with only 109,000 miles on. It was really well taken care of and only needs relatively minor work (Front left CV axle boot is torn, etc.). After driving away with it, the SES light came on, and AutoZone found the P0444 code. After looking on this thread, I figured I would try replacing the gas cap, and the light went off... until it came back today, two days later. I tested the resistance on the purge valve itself (someone said it should be around 28 ohms, which it was), and I'm running low on ideas on what else it could be. I'm taking it to a mechanic for the CV axle eventually, but if possible I would prefer to save some cash and fix this issue myself if possible. If anyone else found the culprit to their P0444 code and could enlighten me, that would be great.

My Cars
    1995 540I and 525I
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexMPower View Post
    P0444 is the Purge Valve or also called (breather valve), its located in the front part of the engine, right behind the Power steering fluid tank. Its attached to the engine. it has a sensor attached to it and two hoses. Only the dealer has the part, and the cost is $120, it took me about 15 min to replace.
    Here are the steps i took.
    THE CAR MUST BE OFF

1. Remove the air filter with the air ducts(will give you more room)
    2. Remove the power steering tank(2 screws) and just move it to the side(no need to remove the hose)
    3. Remove the Purge Valve, its attached to the engine (similar attachment as the muffler) has a rubber part which attache to the engine.
    4. Remove the sensor
    5. Remove the bigger(thicker) hose(you have to push in/pres on the safety pin) when locked it sticks out, to unlock you must push in.
    6. Remove the smaller(thinner) hose(coming from engine) twist and pull(might take a while)
    7. You are done removing.

Installing the new Purge valve is much faster, You may encounter problems installing the smaller(thiner) hose.(i just greesed the tip of the purge valve and it went in with no problems)
    Only the dealer has this part?
    Wrong, it's available at Bimmerworld, PelicanParts, ECS Tuning, Amazon, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast