Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: e36 M3 - IP Build Chronicles

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by warptkid View Post
    I think I'm digging your space heater, patio-heater? very multi-functional... roll it onto the patio when your done in the garage. good idear

Build looks great. Just need to change that little avatar: Future IP front-runner

... or something to that effect. Good luck this wknd
    Chris, yeah gas patio heater from Lowes. $299 IIRC. Came in very handy those days when it was the teens outside. Thing would throw off so much heat Id be sweating and even made working on concrete bearable. That little cocktail table made for a perfect coffee/tool/part/camera repository.

Thanks for the kind words. I will try my best this weekend, even though qualifying and some racing may be in the rain.

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    MARIO! HOLY CRAP CONGRATS!
    as an aspiring racer and entrepeneur, you're a huge
    inspiration.

now i just gotta get my ducks in a row, make some greenbacks and get out to the track! hopefully i'll be able to share your company

My Cars
    02s4
    just wanted to drop in and say this thread is a great insight for a noob e36 track car builder. thanks for documenting it all. hopefully i can find more like it and soak up even more info. thanks

My Cars
    e36 332i
    Thanks for the great thread, lots a good pics and well documented. Always look forward to your updates.
    I see the kid trap works , looks like you caught one. Do you practice catch and release?
    Last edited by eye145; 04-20-2009 at 11:37 PM.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by eye145 View Post
    I see the kid trap works , looks like you caught one. Do you practice catch and release?
    Im happy that so many individuals find my build thread informative. I have learned a lot from a lot of individuals here on Bimmerforums and this is just my way of giving back to the community.

Yes, the kid trap is VERY effective provided they are exposed at the key age of 2-3 years old. During that formative time in a young childs life is where life long passions and interests are formed are formed. My daughter loves the garage, the car, watching me race and going to professional races.

Regarding a catch release program, its a long term project with consequences not always universally accepted by mothers.

VIR, April 2009.
    After all the work I had performed on the car this winter I was naturally very anxious and nervous to shake it down to see what gives and learn a new track at the same time.

In a nutshell:
    Full OBD-I conversion, Cams, headers, 3.5" MAF, headgsaket R&R and performance friction brakes top the list on a list that includes a whole bunch of other supporting components.

Short end was that after a little ECU chip issue, the car ran and drove around the block just fine. The nature of the cammed and headered engine was definately more business like. Bad in a good way.

I hit the track, having to that date only watched in car video and reading written descriptions only to be amazed that the track, compred to video, did not look like look or feel like that. Yes the turn familiarity was there but VIR was narrower and shorther than wide angle video will convey - wide angles will extend and elongate images. Lesson learned.

The first session I tooled around the track learning familiarity, understanding the general layout, looking for landmarks, nuances, searching for the rhythym.
    Lap times were nothing to write home about as I was short shifting every gear in order to give the cams some time to run in.

Each subsequent session I went faster, reving higher, playing with brake, shift and turn in points, attempting max velocity where possible. Oak tree into the back straight came to me first. Followed by the front straight into T1, 2,3,4,5. I solved the problem posed by the backstraight braking zone going into roller coaster and then hog pen. The last sections to come were the esses and southbend.

Now having a general understanding of the track I whittled my time down to a 2:14 by the end of the first day. I instinctively knew that the climbing esses were where I was leaving a lot of time on the table. That section required balls to take at high volocity and mine were not quite there yet. Everyone with significant experience at VIR told me that you dont go fast here the first time out. Its a track that grows on you requireing a few visits to fully understand. Regardless I was happy.

So how did the car hold up? It exceeded my expectations in all areas. My work was quality...except that lower radiator hose. Wheter or not I forgot to tighten it, or not enough, the hose popped off under braking at the end of the back straight at 130mph, coating the rear right wheel with water and causing the unloaded rear to break loose, which by the time I caught it, deviated my line sufficiently enough to put me on the grass at 110+

Kudos to the the BMW CR Program for teaching us to always have a escape plan in mind. Although I noted the long straights as areas of concern for unplanned occurances, the reaction to my off was instantaneous, calm and methodical.

Watch the video here:

Biggest off for me to date. After checking over the car for damage and discovering the loose hose, the remedy was to get back on the horse. I must say that the LTW splitter suffered no damage and just got dirty and was pushed back on its adjusatable feet.

The racing was a blast and further reenforcing the feeling that my days doing DEs are nearly over. Since this was only my second race and at a new track to boot, my strategy was to be in learning mode. As a result I shot for mid pack qualifying positions and in class positions where ever they fell. Mid pack was fun as it was full out traffic management with a lot of passing and re-passing going on. Then once the chaos settled down after a few laps, I would go into full out chase mode and run down whatever car was ahead of me.

Rookie (Learning Experience) - I totally goofed up on time management in preparing from the enduro. By the time I realized what was happening, the field had hot gridded and were out on their formation lap. As a result I stared from pit row and dead last. On cold tires. By the time I had some temps in the tires I was at least half a lap down on the end of the field. By the 3rd lap I had managed to catch the end and work myself up through the pack.

While I executed the mandatory pit stop in an ok fashion, I pitted when the pits were still quite full and as a result spent more time in there than I should have. Nevertheless, despite my learning opportunities in addition to full course yellow, local yellows and white flags, I managed to finish, not in last place, spent more time in the seat than I ever had before, had a great time and brought the car home in one piece.

My most exciting race was the last sprint of the last day. The car, track and I just clicked. Qualified mid pack and managing to loose a few positions in the start I managed to catch a good friend (JP Rookie Racer - Jason Micare) and proceeded to have a blast only to be capped by having a front seat watching Tim Smith and Jason Briedis fight for position 1 and 2 in SE36. It was in this session that I had a personal best lap time of 2:11.5 and learned how much grip some grass sections of the esses have

Entire Day 3 Sprint is here – (look for action between mins 11 and 16):

A quick testament about the OEM LTW splitter: Over the course of the weekend I had 3 offs, 2 being at high speed. (see my VIR Ag excusion video and day 3 sprint race video) Despoite these ag excrusions, the splitter remmained intact despite the unintentional abuse rendered. In each case, the splitter was pushed back on its adjustable feet. I keep the splitter extension at 3", so it had 3 inches of give. On the other hand a friend with the max velocity set up, damaged it irreppably. 2 big thumbs up for the LTW splitter - it trully is a heavy duty peice of OEM engineering.

A few words on driver coaching.

Just because we have left the advanced DE ranks doesn’t mean we stop learning our craft. If anything, it should force us to put our noses back to the grinding stone and learn more.
    Coaching or even some friendly impromptu feedback as a result of some quick video review will help in pushing one further or through a frustrating plateau. I think in order for that the work effectively, and it goes without saying, your car must perform consistently and you must feel comfortable with how it handles. If that base is not there, you will never be able to pick up on the nuances presented.

Over the course of the weekend I befriended VJ Mirzayan, who was there coaching Vernon. After a lenghty but casual conversation, he graciously offered to view and critique my in car video. His feedback allowed me to better navigate turns 5, 5a and 6. Great guy.

Like VJ, James Clay offered to give me some feedback and data. He suggested I let him drive my car in order to collect some baseline data. So with in car video running and the traqmate recording the nuances of James driving he laid down a 2:08 in Sundays AM practice (fastest time that morning). Subsequent Analysis told the truth – grow bigger balls. Im not as fast where he was (climbing esses, roller coaster and hog pen) and just as fast in other sections. James input resulted in better execution of the climbing esses, roller coaster and hog pen.

Video here:

I applying both their feedback and on the last race day I broke though my plateau of 2:14 by an additional 3 seconds. James’s ride in my car also proved to me that my car is mechanically competitive in IP. The difference is in the soft goods – me. Next time out at VIR, I know exactly where to find another 3 seconds.

Some event pix:

Love this pic. 2 subsequent generations on M3s.

Roller Coaster

Chasing Jason Micare
    Last edited by TIATO; 04-27-2009 at 07:22 PM.

My Cars
    E36 325i, E34 535iTm
    Mario, sounds like a fantastic weekend and I can't believe how much further the car has come since O'fest. Nice job!

-tammer

My Cars
    540i6 / M20 / Burb 2500
    Great stuff man! I've been following this build and the progress/evolution is incredible.
    2001 540i 6-Speed / 1989 325i M20 / 1994 Suburban 2500

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
    LoveClub Member #23

My Cars
    98 M3, 04 M3
    Just finished reading all the pages.

Awesome work Mario. I was a great pleasure meeting you at VIR. Thanks a lot for all the time spent answering my never-ending questions.

You' tha MAN!!

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Naka View Post
    Just finished reading all the pages.

Awesome work Mario. I was a great pleasure meeting you at VIR. Thanks a lot for all the time spent answering my never-ending questions.

You' tha MAN!!
    Thank you for all the nice comments. Much appreciated and makes those moments of frustration easier to deal with.

Gary, I was happy to answer all of them. You know my number if you need anything clarified or have any more questions.

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Mario, nice job. I also found that it has been hard to improve at the same rate as when we're in DE's once we lose the feedback from that guy in the passenger seat! The format that you're using (allowing someone else to drive and use data and video to receive criticism) is the best we can do!

Looking forward to seeing you at Mid-Ohio!
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    This car is beautiful. It's a fine example of a well done IP car.

My Cars
    Artic Silver 328is
    After reading this I find it impossible to not say anything. That being said this is the best thread I have ever read on bf.c. Your level of detail and craftsmanship is excellent and the car is impeccable, I hope you kick ass out there this season!

~Dan

My Cars
    E30 M50/E36 M3/ E39 525i
    wow i just spend at least 45 mins reading and watching your videos, great work, great car..i wish i could get my car to that level one day...working at a fraction as you but one day it will happen.....best of luck this season!!take care..

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Mario -

Sweet thread. Your car is looking awesome, and apparently running even better. Well done!
    Garrett

My Cars
    E36
    Great progress
    I miss her, back in a BMW for the time being

My Cars
    e30 M3, 335d
    Hey, sorry i forgot about this section of the track section. It's a little on the late side but here is that catch can I got.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325is
    very nice documentation I have been watching your at vir for the last hour in the video's on vimeo
    thanks

Leave me feedback here
    Build thread

My Cars
    mt 325ia
    This is a great thread. It has provided enjoyment for my last 45 minutes and lots or new ideas/info. Thanks
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3SpdDmn View Post
    Mario, nice job. I also found that it has been hard to improve at the same rate as when we're in DE's once we lose the feedback from that guy in the passenger seat! The format that you're using (allowing someone else to drive and use data and video to receive criticism) is the best we can do!

Looking forward to seeing you at Mid-Ohio!
    Look forward to catching up with you Anthony. At least this time we will share the track at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnymac View Post
    This car is beautiful. It's a fine example of a well done IP car.
    Vince - thank you. Lots of help and inspiration came from your car and posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan23212 View Post
    After reading this I find it impossible to not say anything. That being said this is the best thread I have ever read on bf.c. Your level of detail and craftsmanship is excellent and the car is impeccable, I hope you kick ass out there this season!

~Dan
    Dan - I appreciate it the comments. I am considering this season to be a learning one. Growing into the cars capabilities, learning new tracks, strategy, physical and mental endurance. By the end of this season I plan to be at a level where I can start harassing my fellow IP mates at the front of the field next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ozkm3 View Post
    wow i just spend at least 45 mins reading and watching your videos, great work, great car..i wish i could get my car to that level one day...working at a fraction as you but one day it will happen.....best of luck this season!!take care..
    Keep fueling the passion. Get out there and drive and learn. Enjoy the process and dont be afraid to try new things. This is now my third year developing this car with me doing all the work (except the cage)to keep finances in check. Its been a long road but the result has been worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    Mario -

Sweet thread. Your car is looking awesome, and apparently running even better. Well done!
    Thanks G! You ever figure out what was causing the lifter/valve ticking?

Quote Originally Posted by brandonmatthew View Post
    This is a great thread. It has provided enjoyment for my last 45 minutes and lots or new ideas/info. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iwantspeed View Post
    very nice documentation I have been watching your at vir for the last hour in the video's on vimeo
    thanks
    You are welcome. Looking back, my DE videos seem so mundane compared to the race videos.

Quote Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
    Hey, sorry i forgot about this section of the track section. It's a little on the late side but here is that catch can I got.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    Thank you for the link. I am starting to think about upgrading my gatorade bottle.

My Cars
    E30 M50/E36 M3/ E39 525i
    Mario, It was very nice meeting you at the Glen! Car looks amazing in person..!!! GL
    Oscar...

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    wow i just watched the vid of james at the helm, he passed at least 4 mod cars like nothing! and the pass at 1:45, well jesus talking about balls, that was some incredible braking

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozkm3 View Post
    Mario, It was very nice meeting you at the Glen! Car looks amazing in person..!!! GL
    Oscar...
    Oscar - It was a pleasure meeting you as well.

Alrighty, just got back from 3 days Watkins Glen where I attended the GVC Instructor Training School. I am now a Instructor - whoohoo.

Was assigned a student yesterday after his original instructor asked to be re-assigned. Sometimes personalities and coaching styles dont mesh and it makes for a frustrating experience. It was very gratifying watching this young fellow develop during the course of the day as a result of my instruction. The difference between session one and the last one was like night and day. He got it after a fun 8/10ths session in the race car with me talking him through a few laps, showing him how to turn in, where and trackout. After the ride along he got out with a huge and saying he wants a car like mine. His last session was amazing compared to the first. He got the basic line, built consistency and rhythym and had a natural smoothness.
    Now he has to start working on the details. After meeting him with a frown that morning, I left him with a smile at the end of the day. CM - keep it up!!

I had no time to fully service the car between VIR and this event. All I got accomplished is changing the oil, clean the windows and do a quick general check of the vehicle. Definately not my norm which left my wife worried.

I kind of knew that the car would not be driven hard this weekend on account of the ITS so i felt ok about it, but not happy. I was going on the qaulity of my work I performed before VIR.

One quick modification I made was installing a factory panel that blocked the gap between the bottom of the radiator and the LTW front splitter cooling duct. Essentially I closed a 24"x3" gap.

Boy did it make a difference - 15 degree drop in water temp and a full 10 degree drop in oil temp.

Had a nagging oil leak at VIR. From all external appearances it looked like a front main seal leak. Evertytime Id get off track I would see a fine layer of misted oil on the right front wheel housing and a slightly wet timing case surface. I figured perhaps I added too much oil to combat valve lifter ticking a VIR and as a result developed too much crank case pressure. The oil misting went away after only adding 7.75 qts of oil.

With 2 weeks to go until the Mid-O club race I now have to solve a diffferent problem. Determine why on 2 seperate occasions on different laps, during 2 seperate back to back sessions, under hard acceleration out of turn 6 and 10 in 4th gear, engine revs would rapidly climb 500 revs and then stabilize. Obviously something is slipping. Either the clutch or Im getting wheelspin on the unloaded side of the car (my diff is my 148k miles young).

A spare clutch/PP, and a new diff from Diffsonline have been ordered. Should be a fun weekend.

My Cars
    Volvo 240
    Thanks again for everything Mario. You are a great instructor and I'll be sure to work on everything we covered next time I'm out on the track. Your car is a beast and after reading this thread and seeing how it came to be I'm even more impressed with it. I hope to see you at future events and possibly even have you as an instructor again. I wish you the best of luck in your races.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by manderino View Post
    Thanks again for everything Mario. You are a great instructor and I'll be sure to work on everything we covered next time I'm out on the track. Your car is a beast and after reading this thread and seeing how it came to be I'm even more impressed with it. I hope to see you at future events and possibly even have you as an instructor again. I wish you the best of luck in your races.
    Chuck - you are very welcome and thank you! If the opportunity ever arises I would welcome continuing working with you. PM me your email address and Ill let you know when Im instructing at the Glen again. However at this writing, I dont know when I will get back in the right seat again this season as I am commited to racing for the next few events.

I will also post the in-car video of our instructor/student ride on vimeo late today. Will let you know when its up.

Ok. While de-trailering the the car last night I noticed that there was a windblown trail/puddle of oil on the deck, right about where the transmision would be with the car on the trailer.

Jacked up the car and started looking for things. Transmission was wet with a trail of oil hreading up to the front of the bell housing and slowly dripping out the two threaded holes on the bottom of the bell housing where one could bolt the exhaust downpipe support brace to.

Upon further inspection I discovered that the guibo was cracked significantly in numerous places.

I shone a light into the various holes in the bellhousing to inspect the flywheel and housing internals. Backside of the flywheel looked clean. Where I saw some wetness was on the top of the bellhousing closest to the transmission. I now suspect that either the transmission input shaft seal has failed, perhaps a failing clutch slave seal causing transmission or or brake fluid to get on the clutch and causing that intermitent clutch clip I noticed at the glen.

However in order to have all parts I need on hand, I have already ordered a new clutch/PP from BW, in the process of putting together a diff purchase with diffsonline and today will buy a spare transmission.

So in the span of the next 8 days my driveline wil be refreshed in prep for mid ohio.

My Cars
    ///M
    Um, yeah, you're an animal.

Stars came out of alignment...
    Garage sale coming soon, watch this space.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast