Thread: e36 M3 - IP Build Chronicles

My Cars
    N/a
    Clock perhaps?
    SFR SCCA/NASA NorCal Club Racer

My Cars
    IS#911, '04 325it, '08 5.7 crew, '07 Barbiemobile
    Quote Originally Posted by TIATO View Post

mmmm... two-hearted.... those BW guys have class !
    - 'cursed' Chris
    ...Someone has to finish last...

For Sale: Interior Goodies! for SALE

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carthusiast View Post
    Clock perhaps?
    Bingo!! With temp function

My Cars
    yes
    Top-notch ride Mario....along with the family too!! Thanks for the pics.

Don

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    Mario, car looks incredible! no take that back, it looked incredible in DE mode! it looks absolutely stunningly beautiful now! you do great work and your attention to detail definately doesn't hide itself.

keep up the good work!

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutt View Post
    Next time you have a chance could you take a pic of the intake please?
    Keep up the good work.

Your daughters pose made me laugh. I think I will have a few of those when my daughter gets older.

Sutt,

Thanks. My daughter is a piece of work. Even at 5 she already has an attitude. She must get that form her 13 year old sister.

As requested; Intake pix - Bimmerworld World Challenge Airbox. 3.5" reduced to 3" HFM. Before this piece I had the conforti intake. Looking back I should have passed on the comforti unit and bought this for a $100 more.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcvee View Post
    Top-notch ride Mario....along with the family too!! Thanks for the pics.

Don

Thanks Don. Glad you enjoyed the pix.

Quote Originally Posted by luv4myE36 View Post
    Mario, car looks incredible! no take that back, it looked incredible in DE mode! it looks absolutely stunningly beautiful now! you do great work and your attention to detail definately doesn't hide itself.

keep up the good work!
    Hey Mike. I appreciate the kind words. Wait until you see it in person

So I was working ont the fornt left corner of the car the other day. Changing brake pads IIRC. My wife was kind enough to bring me a cup of coffee. There is nothing better than working on a car and having a coffee or a beer or a margarita (season dependent of course ). After a few sips, I was faced with a dilema. I wanted to keep the brew within reach but out of the way. a Spliter extended 3" makes for a perfect table top

UUC/Alcon 4 wheel BBK Data Point - As stated in an earlier post, these brakes continue to amaze me with their consistency and pedal feel. They feel the same after 9 days on track as they did on the first. I just changed the pads after 9 days, including 5 consecutive days of driving at O-fest. My current pads are Hawk DTC-70s up front and DTC-60s in back. Brake fluid is Motul 600. While the DTC pads lack that initial agressive bite of a PF01, the feel is very linear and consistent and easily modulated. So far thay have been very rotor friendly with wear being nothing more than insignificant surface cracks. (for the record, Ive go the cross drilled floating E46 M3 CSL rotors). After 9 track days, the fronts have worn to 50%, the rears to 90%. Im sure I could do another 2-4 track days on these front pads but when my pads reach 50%, they become back ups. While I have brake cooling backing plates installed, I have had no reason to connect the duct work. In comparison, last year when I was running solid guide bushing equiped OEM calipers with PF01 pads and no ducting , I would hit 40/50% pad life after 6 days. So far the extra thermal capacity of the uuc/alcon brakes have extended pad life 30% and If I werent so anal about switching at 50% could extend pad life up to 50%.

When I installed the AA race exhaust, I noticed that under some circumstances the tip would shift enough to touch and melt some of the diffuser plastic. Went to the depot picked up some mill grade aluminum and fabricated this heat shield. Took no more than 30 minutes. Vinniemac - you were right about the tip Regardless, absolutely love the exhaust.

Last edited by TIATO; 10-07-2008 at 11:57 AM.

My Cars
    DD-VWR32, I want an M
    Thanks for the pics. I didn't realize the airbox went so far down on the left side when looking at it from the front of the car.

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    Vinniemac - you were right about the tip Regardless, absolutely love the exhaust.
    Did your tip fall off too? Well crap...it looks like there is some sort of manufacturing defect with the welds on the exhaust tips. I've seen half a dozen units fail in the same way. The good thing is AA replaced my first muffler without any hassle.

My Cars
    '98 EK4, '96 CP9A
    Great buildup!

I notice you're using the Euro expansion tank.. I have a question regarding the 1.8m long 1/4" hardline that runs from the tank to the radiator.. it's an OEM part right? When you ordered it does it come pre-bent in its current shape (across the perimeter of the radiator and fender) or do you have to bend it yourself?

Thanks!!

- Peter Shen -

My Cars
    e30 M3, 335d
    i too was using a Gatorade bottle as a catch can for a while, but i found a nice cheap catch can on summit's site with a bleeder valve. so i use that now

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by joon View Post
    Great buildup!

I notice you're using the Euro expansion tank.. I have a question regarding the 1.8m long 1/4" hardline that runs from the tank to the radiator.. it's an OEM part right? When you ordered it does it come pre-bent in its current shape (across the perimeter of the radiator and fender) or do you have to bend it yourself?

Thanks!!
    Thanks joon.

The line is an OEM part and is indeed prebent.

Quote Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
    i too was using a Gatorade bottle as a catch can for a while, but i found a nice cheap catch can on summit's site with a bleeder valve. so i use that now

Got a link.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Car has been in storage for the last 10 weeks. Have done nothing car related, staying of forums or simply talking shop. After last season I needed a break as I was a wee bit burned out. Slowly getting the fire back. Distance has been good.

Watch for the ad below in a magazine called machine design

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1992 Saab 900, 2003 WRX
    niceeee....that car is essentially 100% tax deductible as it was clearly made for advertising.

My Cars
    '93 M325i, '01 Duramax
    Quote Originally Posted by 328ischef View Post
    niceeee....that car is essentially 100% tax deductible as it was clearly made for advertising.
    Hahaha Nice!

My Cars
    Too many.
    Alllrighhtyyy. The fire is back and burning bright. 3 months completely away from car stuff does wonders for motivation.

I brought 818 out of storage and home 2 weeks ago to begin my 2009 maintenance and upgrade program. Tell you folks one thing, I missed seeing the car in my garage. So did the family. Everyone is happy she is home.

Sooo the plans for 2009 are:

OBD-1 Conversion
    Headers
    Cams
    Refreshed Vanos and all chains, tensioners and gears
    Software
    Solid Mounts
    Re-enforced of front subframe
    Baffeled Oil Pan
    Check of OPN and replacement of lock-tited nut with one drilled for safety wire.
    New Front control arms
    Replacement of Alcon Brakes with Performance Friction
    Headgasket
    Re-install of VAC distribution block, peterson inline filter and setrab oil cooler
    Front wheel bearings / hubs
    Swapping of fornt strut inserts with rebuilt ones from GC.
    Delrin LCAB

Monday Feb. 23

Removed:
    Airbox
    MAF
    Intake boots
    Strut brace
    Alternator ducting
    Rad undertray
    Coolant drained
    Radiator
    P/S Pulley
    Waterpump Pulley
    Belt
    Thermostat housing
    Thermostat
    Coil Packs

Tuesday, Feb. 24

overlow tank - out
    Alternator - out
    Belt tensioner - out
    Air/oil seoerator - out
    Idle control valve - out
    TB - removed
    Intake Manifold - out
    Nearly every engine harness connector, unplugged
    Every unplugged harness connector labeled for reference

Wed. Feb. 25

Modest progress...
    Car on jack stands
    Oil Drained
    Oil Filter housing removed
    Engine Harness nearly removed - 4 more connections under car - reverse switch, O2 sensors, fuel pressure valve switch
    Fuel rail removed from harness
    Plugs removed
    Valve cover off

Thurs. Feb 26

Vanos is removed
    Cam sprockets and chain off
    Cam chain guide and tensioner pulled
    Engine harness completely removed
    Block drained of coolant

Small set back: spare head did not shipped last week. Following up with the vendor brought to light some confusion at their end. Now expecting head Wed. Not a biggie as I can still work on other stuff. Tonight will start replacing the Alcon brakes with the Performance Friction stuff and work on swapping out front wheel bearings.

Some pix.

As as of July 2007. Only change to this configuration was addition of the Bimmerworld World Challenge Airbox

Intake manifold removed and all connectors labeled

Intake side

Valvecover removed

Vanos, cam chain, gears and full engine harness removed. 14 headbolts and 6 exhaust down pipe manifold nuts hold the head to the block.

Cam gears and vanos. Will be replced with polished gears and thrust washers and a rebuilt vanos.

UUC/Alcon brakes are being replaced with Performance Friction. Here is a rotor comparison. The e46 Floating Motorsport rotors are 28mm thick. The Performance friction units 32mm thick.

NOTICEABLE difference in mounting brackets.

March 4
    Sat down with the OBD-1 Wire harness and the bentley manual and traced all wires and connectors and labeled them appropriately. All this while watching....uughh...Housewifes Of NYC and Bad Girls club witht the wife. Thank goodness for the work I had to do.

March 5

More modest progress. Slowly getting to the point where I can start re-assembly. Most of my parts have arrived and I need to start hauling ass to get the car done by the end of the month. Looking to test at VIR early April in advenace of the club race there.

So this week I with a buddys help I got the head off. I then removed the cams and trays. In researching these heads I learned a lot about this particular head family. The vanos m50 head is the same cast piece as for the S50, M52 and S52. All the intake and exhaust valves are the same. The differences between the M and S versions head are the valve seats, springs, retainers and cams. Neat stuff.

Amazing part is that at 147k miles, I did not really have to remove the head gasket and I kind of regret doing it now but I know it the best thing to do in the name of preventative maintenance.

The headgasket, block and head looked amazing. Kudos for reving these engines at race speed as most carbon deposits are burned off, keeping the insides nice and neat. Kudos also to the preivious owner of the car who only used Mobil one and changed it religiously every 5k miles. The Engine internals are clean. The following 2 images show very well how the euro coolant pipe fits around the head. While the insytall of this piece is possible with the head attached it is difficult. Having removed the head, doing it this way would be much easier.

Heres a better look at the Performance friction calipers. One of the main selling points for me were the size and thickness of the front pads. The hardware on these babys is aircraft grade stuff. High quality stuff and I cant wait to see how they feel.

Last edited by TIATO; 03-07-2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 bmw M3 IP #008
    Nice Mario. Extremely neat and well documented as usuall. No problem with the OBDI harness labeling? Pretty easy if you pay attention. I can tell that car is from Boston by the rust on the block. Not as bad as mine though. So you bought the head all done. Nice. What header? Installing prior to putting the head back on? Need any questions answered ask me. You better get yourself on the jmetrio schedule to make it to VIR in April.. I'll be watching your progress. Tyler

My Cars
    Too many.
    Yeah...that Mass. rust. Ill take care of that next year.

Tyler I will be installing AA headers. For ease of install I will attach them before the head goes back on.

Dont worry, the car will be back together by then as lots of midnight oil will be burned.

My Cars
    1977 E21, 1989 325is
    those are some serious calipers!

When are you coming out west again Mario?

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by seatown88 View Post
    those are some serious calipers!

When are you coming out west again Mario?
    Hey Bill! How have you been? Should be out west next year again. Ive heard you have taken the family to the track a few times.

More modest progress as Im waiting for parts and tools to arrive.

In the last few nights I got the following done:

Front wheel bearings.hubs
    New front and rear wheel studs
    Started getting the head ready for valve train swap and cam reinstall.
    Cleaned the block in preparation for a new gasket

Removed the rear Alcons brakes
    Installed the PF calipers, lines and rotors. Just have to torque calipers down to spec.

Tonight pulled the front shocks for clean up, camber plate maintenance and front left strut insert replacement.

Mocked up headers

Tommorrow nights entertainment, valve train swap, cam reassembly and final header prep.

Hope the get the head back on by Wed or Thursday so I can start working on the installing the OBD1 harness by the weekend.

My Cars
    1977 E21, 1989 325is
    Hey Bill! How have you been? Should be out west next year again. Ive heard you have taken the family to the track a few times.
    glad to hear that! yeah I dragged the Nakanishi's out to the track a couple times. They really enjoyed themselves and hope they come out again this summer. Kaila doesnt have a choice, she gets to go no matter what.

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Mario -

If you come out this way let me know. Long drives don't bother us too much. Maybe we could combine it with a visit to family and friends in WA if you aren't any further south.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhudson View Post
    Mario -

If you come out this way let me know. Long drives don't bother us too much. Maybe we could combine it with a visit to family and friends in WA if you aren't any further south.

Jay
    Jay,

will most definately let you know when the time comes.

My Cars
    2013 135i, e46 M3
    Nice work Mario! You really hit the ground running after a 3 month hiatus.

jmargo is offline Guess who's back ? Moderator
    My Cars
    CTS-V , Blown 332i
    Bingo!! With temp function

What temp do you monitor with it ? IAT ?
    Sias Tuned, Vortech Blown, 3.2L S52...456WHP/360WTQ

Sias Tuning | HowertonEngineering | Davis Motorsports Club

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast