Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: e36 M3 - IP Build Chronicles

My Cars
    '22 X3
    Wow this is an awesome build story! It's obviously you paid very close attention to all the details.

My Cars
    Too many.
    2 weeks ago I was able to get out to Summit Point for the car's shake down run. To say that the days preceding the event were smooth is an understatement. Lots of little gremlins. Keep in mind that this car has not run or moved for any length of time or distance in at least 6 months. Nothing I touched had been fully tested.

Some issues encountered:
    1. Oil Cooler with remote inlinefilter. Comprised of evosport dist block and various parts from bimmerworld. Install was straight forward and looked great. Except that little nagging oil leak from one of my autometer temp sender fittings. Seeping oil at idle. Removed it, to try the other sender hole in the dist block, tighten it down and it snaps off, leaving the threaded body in the oil block. Im doing this at my sis in laws in Charles Town, 9 miles away from SPR. Great. Whre to get a 10mm autometer fitting in Charles town.
    Resolve - I had brought the oem oil filter housing as a back up. 2 hours later the car was back to stock.

2. Aux fan did not turn on. I suspect a faulty temp switch. Wired in manual overide.

3. AKG Shifter mounting bolts were a bit loose. While snuging them up, I noticed they were not tightning down adequately. Removed them to find the metal thread insert clip bent to hell. Out of the 3 clips, 2 were bad. Off to home dept for hardware. While the AKG solution is interesting, the hardware (thread inserts) are crap.

4. Since the M50 manifold conversion over the winter, the car has not run for any length of time. During my first extended run in my sis in laws neighborhood, the car started running rough then misfiring. Limped it to the house. Peake pulled a menagerie of codes. Cleared them and reset check engine light. Hoped for the best.

5. A few days before the event, the car would not start. Had to overnight ECU to BW for EWS de-flash.

6. After the Alcon brake install, I heard a nasty snoise coming from the rear. Knowing the car ran perfectly with stock brakes last year I determined that the rear left dust shield was rubbing against the rotor hat. Removed dust shield to eliminate the noise.

7. Tires would rub and dislocate the brake cooling ducts. Removed those as well. Will find a different hose mounting solution.

Ad to that another half dozen small issues and that was my 2 days preceding the Trackdaze event 2 weeks ago.

The event was a few firsts for me:

Car with cage
    Full gear - suit, socks, balaclava, etc.
    Window and right side nets
    Double adjustable shocks
    Much higher spring rates

I was very nervous to say the least. I had done so much work to the car my mind was on overdrive. I had done all that I could to look at and address any details.

My worries were laid to rest halfway through my first session. The car felt as it did last year but smoother. Of course with all those extra tubes in the car, sounds were amplified. Then again, ALL sound deadning and blankets were removed fromt he engine bay and transmission tunnel. The advance design shocks were like butter over the choppy parts of T1, T5 and T6. The alcon brakes, simply amazing.

With each subsequent session I made incremental changes to the shocks and each turn of the dials smoothed the cars handling out even more. Very neutral, with a slight touch of mid corner understeer. Trailbraking is very smooth and the car rotates predictably and gently. I would say the car is now easier to drive than before.

Now, until this event, I have not driven SPR in nearly 6 years. Of course I studied up on the track beforehand, but a lot of the details came back to me quickly although I have lots of areas to work on. I was consistenly late turnign in in T10 and 3. The damaged pavement in T1, 5 and 6 required different strategies pertainng to entry and mid corner navigation.

The alcon brakes have done wonder for the the pedal feel and ability to modulate pressure during trail braking.

All in all, the shake down was a complete success and the car ran perfectly. It exceeded my expectations and allowed me to build a very good confidence base.

I had a target of breaking 1:27. I pulled a best lap time of 1.26.344. I could consistently run 1:28 to 1:29s. I was very, very pleased. These times are on BW Toyo R888 scrubs. More seat time is in order.

Right click to save.

Summit Point 1:26 Video with Data Overlay

It was also great to meet maxfish (Max), vbdgraphics (Greg) and magnetic1 (Eric).

Last edited by TIATO; 08-01-2008 at 09:26 AM.

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    The car looks great! What spring rates are you running with the ADs?

My Cars
    Too many.
    Vince,

Thanks!

Running 700F/800R.

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Attaboy!!!!!

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    2003 M3
    How do you like the M50 manifold conversion?

My Cars
    M Coupe
    I love looking at a top notch build!

Then seeing a gaterade(?!?) bottle as a coolant catch can! Hey - cheep, light and effective! Right?
    - Ian
    2000 M Coupe, stripped and DE prepped

46mm wheel bearing socket for rent - $30 deposit + $10 fee. PM for details.

My Cars
    E36 M3 x 2
    Mario - Looks great, glad to see you have things getting sorted. It appears you are still running the original coils - you may want to have a few as back-up. I had two crap out on my 99 M3 at 88k miles, and subsequenty replaced all six. Just food for thought.

Cheers,

Will
    Increasing the value of E30 M3's everywhere, one shunt at a time.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by golangti View Post
    How do you like the M50 manifold conversion?
    The M50 mod is definately a best bang for the buck upgrade for the S52. As documented by numerous parties in many other threads here on BFC, I did notice a softness in low end torque. Where its noticebale is at the top. One word - wow! The car just hauls ass all the way to redline and wants to keep going.

It goes without saying that for my application that low end torque loss is irrelevant as this car spends ost of its time in the upper rev range.

Mod wise best $450 (used manifold and Eurosport adapter) Ive spent.

Quote Originally Posted by osborni View Post
    I love looking at a top notch build!

Then seeing a gaterade(?!?) bottle as a coolant catch can! Hey - cheep, light and effective! Right?
    . Best part is that I pulled the gatorade bottle out of my grabage can. That orange flavor has got to be good for few ponies. I looked at aluminum catch tanks, but time constraints led to some creative tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by ydubbs4 View Post
    Mario - Looks great, glad to see you have things getting sorted. It appears you are still running the original coils - you may want to have a few as back-up. I had two crap out on my 99 M3 at 88k miles, and subsequenty replaced all six. Just food for thought.

Cheers,

Will
    Will, good idea. Thanks. Still working out my spares package and will add these to that list and eventual bin.

My Cars
    DD-VWR32, I want an M
    Sorry to get off topic a little Tiato but I have a question.

Jayhudson,

Your signature pic shows you run no rear wing. This may be an old photo but why is that? I see Tiato running aero so I assume it is allowed in the rules. I just thought if you were allowed aero in the rules you would use it?

Great build Tiato. I love the use of the DOT signs.

who did the cage, looks good

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutt View Post

Jayhudson,

Your signature pic shows you run no rear wing. This may be an old photo but why is that? I see Tiato running aero so I assume it is allowed in the rules. I just thought if you were allowed aero in the rules you would use it?

Assumption is right, rules allow aero. However, just because its allowed, doesn't mean you have to do it. Im sure Jay will chime in.

DOT signs - I love free (kind of - I consider the signs a tax reate) materials.

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyF View Post
    who did the cage, looks good
    Thanks. Cage was done by K-Fab in West Chester, PA

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    I have no aero. I'd like to have it but I don't have the money available. To do it the way I'd like would probably cost at least $1K. Maybe more. Just not in the budget.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Sutt View Post

Jayhudson,

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    DD-VWR32, I want an M
    Very understandable Jay, very understandable.

Thanks for the input guys.

Tax rebate.

My Cars
    1977 E21, 1989 325is
    Hey Mario, it was nice meeting you today! Car looks awesome, looks like it has been a fun build and I'm sure you'll have a blast in it. That is a savage cage you have in there, really really awesome. Huge set up from the bolt in.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Quote Originally Posted by seatown88 View Post
    Hey Mario, it was nice meeting you today! Car looks awesome, looks like it has been a fun build and I'm sure you'll have a blast in it. That is a savage cage you have in there, really really awesome. Huge set up from the bolt in.
    Hey Bill,

Thanks for the kind words. It was also a pleasure meeting you. Small world and what a way to get family involved.

My Cars
    Evergreen Z3 M Coupe
    Thanks for stopping by Speedware today Mario, it was nice meeting you and your family! Great e36 build!
    -Thatcher
    @Thatcher . Evergreen Z3 M Coupe . New York NY
    thatcherindustries.com . independentwheel.com

My Cars
    Too many.
    Thatcher,

Pleasure meeting you as well. As usual, it is a small world we find ourselves in. Let Bill know we met. Told him I'll keep in touch with in car video.

Speedware is one hell of a cool store. Anyone visiting the Seattle area should stop by.

Mario

My Cars
    '03.5 M3 Coupe
    Mario are you still in town? I just got back from Lime Rock and my first Mustang Challenge race. If you're still around it'd be cool to grab a beer and talk racing!
    -Ted

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    So what up Mario? Are you out here with your car? Enquiring minds want to know.

Jay

My Cars
    Too many.
    Jay,

Out in Seattle with the family visiting family. Only car I have out here is a POS chrysler rental van with even worse goodyear tires.

Ted,
    Heard from seatown (Bill Mann) that you got into the mustang challenge. Congrats!

Ill need to take a raincheck on that beer as I am comitted to the family vacation (anacortes) until we leave on friday. Next time out (for you:east coast or me:PNW) definately. Ill try to give you ring before I head back.

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    I'm gunna be out your way in a couple of weeks. I'll PM.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by TIATO View Post
    Jay,

Out in Seattle with the family visiting family. Only car I have out here is a POS chrysler rental van with even worse goodyear tires.

Ted,
    Heard from seatown (Bill Mann) that you got into the mustang challenge. Congrats!

Ill need to take a raincheck on that beer as I am comitted to the family vacation (anacortes) until we leave on friday. Next time out (for you:east coast or me:PNW) definately. Ill try to give you ring before I head back.

My Cars
    Too many.
    Alrighty - back in Joisey. While Im happy to be home, I miss the PNW.

Jay - check your PM.

Ted - Sorry I didint have a chance to give you a ring. Will try to within the next few days.

Car is receiving final prep to run at the Glen this week in preparation for O-fest.

This weeks work includes annual tech and corner balance.

Annual tech - complete. Next step, logbook at O-fest
    Corner balance in progress.

Im very pleased with the overall car weight. 2803 with 1/2tank of fuel.

My Cars
    1977 E21, 1989 325is
    how did you like anacortes? that is one of my favorite spots. I look forward to hearing about how the car/you did at O-fest.

My Cars
    8v,12v,16v,24v
    Hey Mario! I finally watched the video and like how you were happy upon seeing your time

Did you replace the AKG hardware completely? I will be redoing mine totally sometime soon and contemplating on using a fresh bolt and nut combo. I am trying to consider options for a "dampened" washer.

Great accomplishments amidst all the hurdles that popped up - the reward is great I see...
    British Universal Length Layer Size Height Interface Template (B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T.)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast