Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 Jaffster Build

My Cars
    cars
    Man, thats old skool, I remember when that first showed up years ago...its amazing the amount of effort some people put into such crap lol

My Cars
    '95 M3
    Wow, is that really a chrome bolt in cage? That's simply amazing. If they'd only anodized it in various colors, it really would be 'teh jaffscage'

My Cars
    E91 328i, Spec3, etc
    best part about it, its 100% bolted in.

Wow - they really put a lot of work into the load paths. Although I am sure it can be pulled apart over the next few years and redone.

James Clay
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com
    www.bimmerworldracing.com

My Cars
    Too many.
    Wow, thats brightly bizzare..

My Cars
    cars
    OMG, I know its a showcar obviously, but I hope this is not driven...Look at how the harness is done, scary!

James, I think its "designed" so that they can rearrange the bars to make it look better, and change its appearance lol

Load paths schmoad paths, the tubes get bolted in where they fit best!

The really sad part is I'm sure at shows there are a lot of people going, "Wow, thats sick, I want to make one like that!"

But anyways, back to the Build Thread...I'll hopefully get to work on the car tonight and have updated pics of the shifter...and maybe some sneak peaks of the wing mounts.

I'm waiting for the rotisserie and mig welder before I do the seam welding, and once thats done its onto the cage. Lots of Messy prep work ahead, but assuming I can find the time to work on the car, the seam welding goes pretty quick. I also need to pickup another wire shelving rack for when i break down the rear of the car for mounting on rotisserie.
    Last edited by Steve J.; 01-24-2008 at 11:14 AM.

My Cars
    1986 Mercedes 190E 16V
    Steve, .... got good heat in that garage? Friggin A, ... it's cold...

My Cars
    cars
    Oh hellz yea we do, over 400,00 btu's, 3 zones all independently controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. View Post
    I'm young starting my life/career, its hard to find time/money to build it how I want it to be done.

James Clay
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com

My Cars
    cars
    I'm very fortunate to have access to my dad's new "play room"...one day I'll have my own

Work hard to play hard.

No violins James? lol

No violins James? lol
    LOL - I didn't see one of those.

James Clay
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I'm going to be ordering the Millermatic 212 soon as well, so when the rotisserie gets here I can crank away on it.
    That's a bit of overkill for building a cage don't you think? I've been using one of those to build my car set on 2/10ths...it's got some power.

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    That's a bit of overkill for building a cage don't you think? I've been using one of those to build my car set on 2/10ths...it's got some power.
    It's just right. I assume Steve is buying 1 welder to last years. That is something he will need down the road, not just this one project. You can grow into a welder. Plus, if he ever wants to do some aluminum mig welding...just buy a spool gun and go. Welders in the 150-175 will weld aluminum, but your limited.

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesclay View Post
    LOL - I didn't see one of those.
    Ah...you need a smilie hookup

Quote Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
    Overkill, no way. I'm using 1.5x.120, thats some beefy tubing, and it needs some good penetration. Are you sure you are getting enough penetration on 2/10ths? .120 to .120 should require more amps than 2/10ths of that machine....it should need over 140amps for that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by M3 Muscle View Post
    It's just right. I assume Steve is buying 1 welder to last years. That is something he will need down the road, not just this one project. You can grow into a welder. Plus, if he ever wants to do some aluminum mig welding...just buy a spool gun and go. Welders in the 150-175 will weld aluminum, but your limited.
    $1400 for the 212 instead of $900 for the 180, its worth it for 500 hundred bucks, especially after what everyone has told me who has used the former 212, compared to the 180, it can do a lot more, and exactly like M3Muscle said, its something I can have for many years, and not have to worry about upgrading.

I just saw the new DVI2 though, that might be a decent alternative. Couple hundred bucks less, and it'll do slightly less max amps, but it says it can do the same material thickness (3/8), instead of the 5/16th the millermatic 180 does.
    Last edited by Steve J.; 01-25-2008 at 01:02 AM.

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Thought you were skipping the rotisserie and seam welding it on a two post... why the change? Get a great deal on one or something?

Subscribed.
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    cars
    Basically, yea. I found a place that ships cheap, and has a great quality, well equipped rotisserie, and it has great resale (as I'm going probably going to sell it once i'm done with it). It has hydrualic rams for height adjustment, CG countering, casters, powder coated, and its $1085, with unibody brackets, shipped on a liftgate! Its worth it, because it would be a bitch on the 2 post.

My Cars
    cars
    OK, just went outside and did a quick 10min welding session. I did a couple welds on the shifter, and its super solid, I'll probably just run a couple more stitch beads on the sides and call it done, and slap some primer on it so it won't get surface rust.

And here is a quick wing sneak peak:

My Cars
    E46 M3 SM,VW Golf R
    Here is how we red necks heat our garages. Zones shmones. Real men create heat with air compressors and welders! Notice how we have heat, cooling and fuel all in one place.

Chris
    Last edited by CP Louie; 11-28-2008 at 12:40 PM.
    #175 CM E46 M3
    Former Knee Dragger
    Real name= Chris P. Lewis
    Occupation= Green House Gas Creator, but I planted a GARDEN last year.
    "When you live inside a vacuum, nothing sucks"
    http://flickr.com/photos/8150451@N03...7602830737584/

My Cars
    cars
    You should put a fan inside the oven, then you can have two zones

No wonder you had to skimp on so much with your e46 build, your electrical bill must have been ridiculous.

My Cars
    E46 M3 SM,VW Golf R
    You should put a fan inside the oven, then you can have two zones

No wonder you had to skimp on so much with your e46 build, your electrical bill must have been ridiculous.
    Steve,
    You might be an engineer, but that statement shows you are not an electrical engineer. That setup is 100% efficient electric heat. A heat pump would be less efficient, in fact gas heat would be less efficient (maybe cheaper per energy unit) but less efficient.

Enjoy your new digs I am enjoying mine.

Chris
    #175 CM E46 M3
    Former Knee Dragger
    Real name= Chris P. Lewis
    Occupation= Green House Gas Creator, but I planted a GARDEN last year.
    "When you live inside a vacuum, nothing sucks"
    http://flickr.com/photos/8150451@N03...7602830737584/

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    OK, just went outside and did a quick 10min welding session. I did a couple welds on the shifter, and its super solid, I'll probably just run a couple more stitch beads on the sides and call it done, and slap some primer on it so it won't get surface rust.
    Quick question but if you were on a tight budget which dimple dies (sizes) would you purchase if you were just doing gussets for a cage? And what type of press are you using for yours?

Thanks,
    Carlos.

My Cars
    86 M535 B-MOD
    Try the ones from mitler bros punch/dimple all in one,easier to use IMO.

My Cars
    and trucks
    Looking good SteveO; keep the work moving bud.
    Matt Olson
    RRT Racing
    DC Metro's premier BMW service and racing facility

My Cars
    cars
    Chris...it was a joke.

Thanks Matt, slowly but surely...lots of shit going on right in life thats taking priority.

Dimple dies...what kind of budget? 3/4, 1, and 1.5" should cover most things. 2" starts to get big for most cage gussets, and you can always do a couple 3/4" instead.

I am waiting to find a shop press locally, for the time being I made my own for $10 using a steel frame I welded up and a bottle jack

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    Chris...it was a joke.

Thanks Matt, slowly but surely...lots of shit going on right in life thats taking priority.

Dimple dies...what kind of budget? 3/4, 1, and 1.5" should cover most things. 2" starts to get big for most cage gussets, and you can always do a couple 3/4" instead.

I am waiting to find a shop press locally, for the time being I made my own for $10 using a steel frame I welded up and a bottle jack
    The ones you bought would probably work for me, in an old message you said you got 5 for like $175. Could you provide a link for me (even if the price isn't the same anymore)?
    Thanks,
    Carlos.

Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast