Page 26 of 59 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 Jaffster Build

My Cars
    911, 944, WRX, HD2500
    I like where it is mounted on a lot of the GrandAM GT cars:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnVanHouten View Post
    Not over the wing, but under the the license plate ares with a 45^ bend at the end of the dump can. Given the tracks I run, I'll probably end up putting it in a similar location, just on the right.
    My wing is in the way

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 540i, E30 32
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. View Post
    My wing is in the way
    Mine will likely be too, unless I have a _really_ long lower leg of dump can.
    John Van Houten
    http://www.elephantmotorsports.com

Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. --Steve McQueen

My Cars
    E46 M3 SM,VW Golf R
    Because of how the door jam is situated, it needs to stay on the car. As it sits, its pretty much out of the way. Once the car is on the ground, I don't think it will get touched much, especially once the plastic shield is on.

What do you mean the drivers cradle? You should be using a beadseat for the drivers cradle, this kind of foam (or anything similar) is not a very good choice for a seat cradle.

This is the beadseat insert I made for my seat:

Jaffman,

Is that your Reynold's racing seat? I like the butt heat shield...
    #175 CM E46 M3
    Former Knee Dragger
    Real name= Chris P. Lewis
    Occupation= Green House Gas Creator, but I planted a GARDEN last year.
    "When you live inside a vacuum, nothing sucks"
    http://flickr.com/photos/8150451@N03...7602830737584/

diffsonline is offline Supporting Vendor
    Diff Builder
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Escalade, Harley, BRP
    Quote Originally Posted by CP Louie View Post
    Jaffman,

Is that your Reynold's racing seat? I like the butt heat shield...
    I thought it was a booster seat

My Cars
    cars
    Its just a beadseat that gets me in the proper position. The seat is made for a "european" sized driver, but they put the harness slots too high (smaller torso than avg?) so I needed to get up a bit.

As for the fuel fill on the back...my wing is about 12" farther back than the one on that Vette.

Roof is on the car curing
    Last edited by Steve J.; 05-12-2008 at 09:58 PM.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    looks good, can't wait to see the final product.

is it safe to say that tying the cage into the front strut towers precludes the need for foot protection in the footwells?

also, how many of your body panels will be composite, and what do you estimate the final weight will be?

My Cars
    cars
    Right now in "phase 1" the only carbon panel is the roof.

"Phase 2" will have carbon trunk skin, hood, and doors. Front/rear fenders are fine, and thats all the body panels really. Stock bumpers are light enough.

I'm unsure on the weight, but I'm hoping after the carbon panels are on i'm well under 2500.

Realistically the car will be fast enough, way faster than I am capable of at this point...so driver potential has to meet cars potential.

I'm pretty sure the tubes going to shock tower are counted as foot protection.

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
    is it safe to say that tying the cage into the front strut towers precludes the need for foot protection in the footwells?
    As long as you use a bar from the bottom of the A-pillar up to the strut tower, I would assume so. It's the bar that our foot rest attaches to, so it would seem to be well located for intrusion protection into the foot area.

My Cars
    2370 lbs E36 328
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitro View Post

Not when the tire is shoved into the footwell, it isn't.
    FMJ Motorsports
    "not everyone is a princess like riley"
    [16:04] spg383: my vagina gets cold below 40

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by txse46m3 View Post
    Not when the tire is shoved into the footwell, it isn't.
    Can you elaborate on this? The E46 has a lot of metal by your feet, and with these two bars there it would provide sufficient leg/foot support.

If the car is in an accident where there is enough force to push the corner through the firewall, through the Apillar structure and through those two tubes...i'd be more worried about internal and head injuries then a busted leg.

My Cars
    2370 lbs E36 328
    Can you elaborate on this? The E46 has a lot of metal by your feet, and with these two bars there it would provide sufficient leg/foot support.

If the car is in an accident where there is enough force to push the corner through the firewall, through the Apillar structure and through those two tubes...i'd be more worried about internal and head injuries then a busted leg.
    Simple - I have seen cars with really weird damage that "shouldn't" have happened. It's very possible to get the car in a position where the front wheels can be shoved into the driver's foot well with tremendous force. I'm a cage-minimalist, but triangulted foot protection in the driver's footwell is a must IMO.

With Steve J's seating position and custom pedal setup, maybe he's back far enough that the A pillar bar is enough. Anyone with stock pedal location would be nuts not to have foot protection. It's 18" of bar and it's low...the weight penalty is nothing compared to the pain penalty.
    FMJ Motorsports
    "not everyone is a princess like riley"
    [16:04] spg383: my vagina gets cold below 40

My Cars
    cars
    Noone is arguing IF foot protection is needed...he's asking if those bars can be considered the foot protection.

My Cars
    E36 325i, E34 535iTm
    Noone is arguing IF foot protection is needed...he's asking if those bars can be considered the foot protection.
    There are two different ways to make bars to the strut tower, though. Two bars horizontal from the dash bar to the top of the strut tower, or those two bars (or one of them) and a bar going down and back to the A-pillar bar base plate, as Bryan described. I'd say the former is NOT a substitute for footwell protection, but the latter probably could be.

-tammer

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by txse46m3 View Post
    I'm a cage-minimalist, but triangulted foot protection in the driver's footwell is a must IMO.
    If you've already got a bar running from the bottom of the A-pillar up to the top of the strut tower, there's no room for (and probably no real need for) an additional attachment point at the firewall. That's the point that is being made.

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Watts View Post
    If you've already got a bar running from the bottom of the A-pillar up to the top of the strut tower, there's no room for (and probably no real need for) an additional attachment point at the firewall. That's the point that is being made.
    Exactly. That bar (as well as in addition to the other 2 bars) are acting as the antitrusion and support bars.

Roof was looking good when i checked on it last night, I left it clamped on so it can fully cure and I'll remove all the 20 or so clamps tonight.

Evosport also has about 100lbs of parts coming to me next week, and I'm trying to get the rear subframe buttoned up and installed so I can get the drivetrain moving along as well.

The only real part I need to fab that will take some time (pro just a day) is the exhaust...which is very simple, and short

My Cars
    cars
    Quick update:

I've got one more solid mount left to press in on the rear subframe, then I can mount it up with the diff.

I got in my Evosport rear side Lexan windows, fit like a gem! I just need to paint the black the edges and fasten the mounts.

This weekend I'm hoping to finish the firewall enclosure, rear bulkhead enclosure, and get the trunk lid mounted (using 4 bstandard hood pins).

Roof looks fantastic! The structural adhesive Loctite/Henkel provided worked great, and their dispenser worked well, although it did come out very slowly.

I won't be able to get the chassis rolling until I fab a bunch of suspension pieces, and that won't happen until the lathe is setup...couple more weeks.

I'm still pushing to try and get it done for a July event, but its looking pretty tough at this point, we'll see.

My Cars
    cars
    Good news, Lathe is on its way to me! China made an early delivery, so it looks like July completion could be possible if I hustle in June.

My Cars
    cars
    I'll have pics this weekend, but I should have the subframe/diff mounted up, trunk mounted, rear lexan side windows mounted, firewall heatshields, and rear seat bulkhead done.

I also just checked the stats on my website (www.jaffster.com) and some interesting stats:
    From Tue, May 30, 2006 to Fri, May 16 2008 (716 days) I have had 940,538 hits! Thats an average of 1313 hits a day!

At the rate its going right now, and assuming it picks up a bit as I have more big updates in the coming month or so, I should be hitting a million soon.

My Cars
    318is, 2.3-16V, Astro
    I'll have pics this weekend, but I should have the subframe/diff mounted up, trunk mounted, rear lexan side windows mounted, firewall heatshields, and rear seat bulkhead done.

I also just checked the stats on my website (www.jaffster.com) and some interesting stats:
    From Tue, May 30, 2006 to Fri, May 16 2008 (716 days) I have had 940,538 hits! Thats an average of 1313 hits a day!

At the rate its going right now, and assuming it picks up a bit as I have more big updates in the coming month or so, I should be hitting a million soon.
    You should just add a small little google advertisement bar to the right side of the homepage and make a little money on the side, haha. Pretty impressive numbers for your webpage, but it's also a pretty impressive build. I can't wait to see some more pics!

My Cars
    1986 Mercedes 190E 16V
    So with all your cool stuff Steve, I'm wondering what you will be using to transport this sweet ride.

My Cars
    Sounds like you're getting hits for every time one of the pictures loads here in this forum.

My Cars
    cars
    I am not sure, most likely, but still...that means someone is seeing it There is a number for direct page hits, as well as as list of where people are being redirected from.

As for how this thing is being transported...not sure yet. Nothing crazy though, zero budget left lol We have a local shop that transports our cars to events, I might have to toss this car on there with the others for a couple events before I find a trailer/truck.

I just got the rear subframe all mounted up, and I'm trying to get the diff in, but its a bitch with the car on jack stands. I might have to raise the car higher and try to get two jacks under the diff and slip it in.

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    I thought you had a two post lift? I put the subframe on stands and lower the car onto it... easy as pie.
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    cars
    The two post lift is not here yet, once I get the car as a roller it'll be installed.

I got the diff up in there, but I think I need to clean the threads out of the front diff mount...problem is I don't have a damn m14x1.5 tap...so this might have to wait until Tuesday.

Rotisserie is being picked up tomorrow and Lathe should be here Monday or Tuesday.
    Last edited by Steve J.; 05-17-2008 at 07:21 PM.

Page 26 of 59 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353651 ... LastLast