Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: E46 Jaffster Build

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve J. View Post
    Huh? Unless there is a new AlumaSteel filler rod, no.
    Well there is brazing...

-Carlos.

My Cars
    Lots
    Gee Carlos, and I figured you for a JB Weld kind of guy.

James Posig
    JMT TrackCars
    #231 GTS 2 (for sale with trailer and spares)

My Cars
    93 325is Spec E36 #2, 00 M5, 06 X3, 02 Yukon XL
    Yes James - we have designed a new 'racing' bulkhead sealer panel!

The panel is made of 100% formed JB weld, with bondo to smooth out the corners... It only weighs 162 lbs but holds itself in place.
    ///Mike 93 325is Spec E36 #2, 07 335xi, 06 X3, 02 Yukon XL (fer towin')
    Thanks to my sponsors: HMS Motorsport -- Landshark Automotive -- Sansossio Auto Body

My Cars
    E36
    I want to see pics of the wing . Whats your daily driver steve?
    I miss her, back in a BMW for the time being

My Cars
    95 M3, 98 M3, 08 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by JMT View Post
    Gee Carlos, and I figured you for a JB Weld kind of guy.
    Super glue baby!!

-Carlos.

My Cars
    996, 914, X5
    hey, that e-brake handle is extra weight. just kidding.

can't wait to see your car finished. it's going to be awesome

My Cars
    cars
    Ebrake system has been off for a couple weeks now that it is done being moved around...plus its going on this once it arrives:

Daily driver is wrx wagon.

Wing pics will be posted once I get the element(s) in. I'm waiting to hear back from the composite guy on his schedule.

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jonmacs22 View Post
    steve, it is about that time to deal with the cage. you know everyone will be gunning for you when the design comes out. it had better live up to the hype.
    What hype? I have not posted anything about it other than some A pillar ideas. I know all the guys with too much free time are going to be using their sophisticated windows paint programs to modify pictures of the cage, so I might just wait a while after its all done to post pics. 13 months off of welding though, I need to get back on the ball with that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by txse46m3 View Post

12. LKHEAD - A sealed metal bulkhead between the passenger
    REAR BU
    compartment and the compartment containing the fuel tank is required on
    cars using a fuel cell or where the fuel tank is not totally under the car floor
    (i.e., is required in 1600/2002 models). A bulkhead is highly recommended
    on cars where the fuel tank is under the body (i.e., E36).

NASA folks got a little testy when I asked about using CF for that. NASA and SCCA specifically require metal too. Just a note.
    A carbon shear panel will be plenty! If they want i'll structural adhere a piece of .020 aluminum to the back side Its not 'carbon panel,' it'll be a carbon shear panel (honeycomb core). Maybe even toss a layer of carbon-kevlar in there for some extra impact strength. Its easy enough to make one out of Aluminum though, roll some nice ribs into it (maybe in a bmw pattern ).

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Ebrake system has been off for a couple weeks now that it is done being moved around...plus its going on this once it arrives:

Wing pics will be posted once I get the element(s) in. I'm waiting to hear back from the composite guy on his schedule.
    That's a little more high-tech looking than the one I made!

My Cars
    1986 Mercedes 190E 16V
    Yea, that roto is sweet. Great for a one man shop I bet Steve. I built mine also. Cost me all of $0.00.

My Cars
    97 E36 328is
    What hype? I have not posted anything about it other than some A pillar ideas. I know all the guys with too much free time are going to be using their sophisticated windows paint programs to modify pictures of the cage, so I might just wait a while after its all done to post pics. 13 months off of welding though, I need to get back on the ball with that stuff.

A carbon shear panel will be plenty! If they want i'll structural adhere a piece of .020 aluminum to the back side Its not 'carbon panel,' it'll be a carbon shear panel (honeycomb core). Maybe even toss a layer of carbon-kevlar in there for some extra impact strength. Its easy enough to make one out of Aluminum though, roll some nice ribs into it (maybe in a bmw pattern ).
    Doesn't sound like they are worried about structural piece but a fire barrier. Carbon isn't a fire barrier, resin tends to burn pretty good.

My Cars
    2001 330i

Where did you source this from?

My Cars
    2370 lbs E36 328
    I agree that CF is completely appropriate for the application, but rules is rules. It's a safety item, so you wont make it through your annual tech.
    FMJ Motorsports
    "not everyone is a princess like riley"
    [16:04] spg383: my vagina gets cold below 40

My Cars
    cars
    It'll be fine. Rules are meant to evolve. I'm going to try and help bring some affordable solutions (or even just ideas) into clubracing with this project that have only been used/proven in professional racing applications. Safety is the one place that no matter if you are pro or grassroots, it works the same. Just using misc devices that are proven in different venues/applications doesn't make sense to me.

As for the Rotisserie, check the pictures URL for your answer

OnaSled, where did you source free steel from? Unless you stole it from someone elses shop, you paid for it in one way or another. Plus the 10-20hours you probably spent making it, I made up for in time saved. Does yours have a CG balancer and Hydraulics? This costs $895 btw, assembled, casters, powderacoted, hydraulics...plus i can sell it knowing people will pay for a professionally built product, not something i made myself that i can't get replacement parts for quickly I bought it with the intention of selling it once I am done.

My Cars
    97 E36 328is
    Curious as to why you used square tubing for parts and then on other stuff you used died sheetmetal? Why not use the sheetmetal for everything or atleast with round tubing? Looks cleaner imo.

My Cars
    cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Roktgr View Post
    Curious as to why you used square tubing for parts and then on other stuff you used died sheetmetal? Why not use the sheetmetal for everything or atleast with round tubing? Looks cleaner imo.
    Can you be more specific?

Quote Originally Posted by Roktgr View Post
    Doesn't sound like they are worried about structural piece but a fire barrier. Carbon isn't a fire barrier, resin tends to burn pretty good.
    Not the composite I was looking to use

I'll see when the time comes, thats several months away. I might just make a quick alum template to use for the time being and to get it out there testing. Not something I'm going to spend much thought on to be honest. I don't see any material thickness specified in the rules for the bulkhead though, so I could prob use a very thin sheet of alum?
    Last edited by Steve J.; 01-21-2008 at 01:49 AM.

My Cars
    97 E36 328is
    A
    Finished Cell cradle (minus one sheet metal peice underneath)

Well for instance in this picture, why not run some tabs off the floor area and use tank straps (bent flat strap would work)? Sorta of inverted to hows it's shown in the pic below. The surrounding sheetmetal looks good but the angle iron is ugly. Looking at your tank again it's a bit different design then I was thinking it was. This is an example of a pretty clean fuel cell install. It's a custom made unit though.

Also with the seat support and piece of round tubing with tabs would look cleaner and probably be lighter too.

As for the rules on the rear bulkhead, I'm not super familiar with your rules but we have similar rules for our baja racing. It's comes down to a couple things for use, most composite sheets are not fire resistant, and if they are it is hard to prove that they are and that it's what your running. Metal on the other hand is pretty easy to determine if it's metal and the fire resistance is pretty well known. With our rule set they don't list a minimum thickness either so we run as thin as we can and still rivet it to the firewall, I think it's 0.035 or 0.020" thick aluminum.

My Cars
    2001 330i
    I'll see when the time comes, thats several months away. I might just make a quick alum template to use for the time being and to get it out there testing. Not something I'm going to spend much thought on to be honest. I don't see any material thickness specified in the rules for the bulkhead though, so I could prob use a very thin sheet of alum?
    I've already been through this with my build, we ended up going with a thicker piece of aluminum than what was required.

NHRA specifies 0.032" thick aluminum to be used as bulkhead material, I went with 0.045". I'm quoting NHRA, because that's what most sanctioning bodies in my area refer to if there's ever any grey areas. (The MPH is usually greater, thus the mechanism of injury higher)

Yes, there is suitable CF sheeting that can be used, but most people aren't going to fork out the $800+ for a 4' by 4' sheet. (Minimum order)

My Cars
    1986 Mercedes 190E 16V
    As for the Rotisserie, check the pictures URL for your answer

OnaSled, where did you source free steel from? Unless you stole it from someone elses shop, you paid for it in one way or another. Plus the 10-20hours you probably spent making it, I made up for in time saved. Does yours have a CG balancer and Hydraulics? This costs $895 btw, assembled, casters, powderacoted, hydraulics...plus i can sell it knowing people will pay for a professionally built product, not something i made myself that i can't get replacement parts for quickly I bought it with the intention of selling it once I am done.
    Steve, wasn't busting on your roto, ... I really DO love it and wished I had one that was so adjustable. Mine was a bare bones that needed a lot of muscle to rotate the car. The metal was in fact all given to me and my buddy and I built it in a day or two. I did buy the wheels so I guess I did lie.. ... a little

My Cars
    cars
    Next time i'm building a Baja Buggy I'll call you For this project, I think I'm fine thanks.

The composite I was thinking to use I have personally held a 2500 degree open flame to and it not only did not ignite, but the other side of the material was only about 70 degrees 1/2" away...not your ordinary stuff Oh yea, plus its structural!

You also should have figured out by now...I'm not most people lol

My Cars
    '88 635 CSi, '09 X5 4.8
    I know all the guys with too much free time are going to be using their sophisticated windows paint programs to modify pictures of the cage...
    Pot meet kettle
    Shea Burns

My Cars
    E30 m3 DM, E30 m3/s5
    Steve,

I have the same roto you just got, it works really good for what it costs. Best part is it takes very little effort to spin the car, and of course makes working under the car much easier.

-Rick

My Cars
    cars
    Awesome! Glad to hear! For $1085 SHIPPED to my door, on a liftgate, includes hydraulics, powder coat, unibody brackets, etc...its a steal!

Plus, I'm going to be selling it shortly after this project most likely, so its definitely worth it.

I'm going to be ordering the Millermatic 212 soon as well, so when the rotisserie gets here I can crank away on it.

My Cars
    06' E46 M3, '98 M3 Sedan
    wow ........... I found it the Jaffster cage!

I Kid, I kid............we all can't wait to see you cage !

Keep up the amazing work!

As always you can find BMW Grills, BMW Lighting, and BMW Accessories and Chrome Bulbs at Stealth Auto.

My Cars
    M42
    LOL

What the hell?

Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast