Thread: Engine or trans mounts DIY?

My Cars
    1987 535i, 1994 530i

Engine or trans mounts DIY?

Yesterday, I was driving my 1994 530i (270,000) on the highway and heard a "Ga-budda-bump" as if I had run over something. But I never saw anything on the road. (I hope you enjoy the sound effects). Car ran fine for the rest of the day, about 100 miles of hwy.

This morning, on startup in the AM, there was a vibration from the trans area which increased in frequency with car speed. Car runs beautifully, but noise was loud.

I had to make it to work, so off I went, hoping it was ice or something which may have formed on the driveshaft (slushy last nite) and would eventually melt off. Well, it didn't, but it comes and goes. Increases in intensity with left turns, decreases in intensity with right turns. At one point, it got real loud, then "Clunk!" it went away for about ten minutes, before returning. Still there, snowing outside right now, but I'm going to put 'er up on the ramps tomorrow.

Sounds like possibly an engine mount? The trans doesn't have any mounts, does it?

Anyone ever DIY one of these? Is it do-able?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, I rerally appreciate having you guys out there.

Camper1159

My Cars
    Suck
    Sure sounds like either a center bearing on the driveshaft or a guibo.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    I think you would feel more than hear failing drivetrain mounts.

The effect of turning sounds weird, but otherwise, I'd also look at the driveshaft. My flex disk had cracks and was making noises and vibrations at ~153k, so if yours is original, I'd be surprised if it's still intact. Look at it and see if the rubber's cracked. I'm not sure how one would inspect the center bearing.

The trans (mine, anyway) has two mounts - blocks of rubber with studs, bolted to the transmission and a small crossmember below. They cost $7 each and took me ~3 unhurried hours in cramped conditions to change. If the M60's exhaust is like the M30's, you'll want a long 1/2" spanner to remove the crossmember - a socket won't fit between the crossmember and the cats.

My Cars
    1995 540iA, 1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5spd
    sorta going with the topic, what would happen if your flex disk/guibo began to vibrate and you did nothing to replace/fix it? is there a disasterous outcome?

note: the driveshaft has been replaced.

My Cars
    1987 535i, 1994 530i
    Well, the Guibo is shot. I've seen old cracked one, but this one has completely come apart. all the threads have cpome out axially. It looks as if it's grown about two inches of hair.

The channel around the guibo it freshly beat up. I'm sure that I have found the problem.

I'm gonna order parts tonight.

I hope this helps someone else.

My Cars
    1987 535i, 1994 530i
    Has anyone ever DIY a guibo?

It looks as if I'll need a lift to rotate the back wheels to rotate the driveshaft to access all six bolts.

Anyone? Bueller?

My Cars
    Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by camper1159 View Post

It looks as if I'll need a lift to rotate the back wheels to rotate the driveshaft to access all six bolts.

Anyone? Bueller?

You could always just put the tranny in neutral, then you'd be able to rotate the tranny output shaft by hand.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    94 M5T
    Quote Originally Posted by camper1159 View Post

Anyone? Bueller?
    jack up rear, put it on jackstands?