My Cars
    1995 BMW 525ia

X5 or x3 models/years to avoid?

I am thinking about get an X5 or X3 to replace my wife's Ford Explorer Ediie Bauer. Her car never seem to break. However, interior is aging and It really rides rough even with new shocks and Michelin tires.

Any x3 or X3 models or years to avoid? Just thought I would it by for opinions.
    Thanks,
    Russell

1995 BMW 525iA, M50TU, build date 1/95, Oxford Green/Parchment/leather/wood, EAT chip, Continental CD head unit, ASC+t, heated seats, lumbar support, HID & premium package abt 243k miles, rebuilt trany

My Cars
    Suck
    This is a question best asked in the x5 or the x3 forums, they'd likely have more info available to help you in your quest.

Go ahead and bite. Plenty for everyone.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525ia
    Did that as well. However, many of us have other BMWs. So i just thought...
    Thanks,
    Russell

1995 BMW 525iA, M50TU, build date 1/95, Oxford Green/Parchment/leather/wood, EAT chip, Continental CD head unit, ASC+t, heated seats, lumbar support, HID & premium package abt 243k miles, rebuilt trany

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Russellc View Post
    I am thinking about get an X5 or X3 to replace my wife's Ford Explorer Ediie Bauer. Her car never seem to break. However, interior is aging and It really rides rough even with new shocks and Michelin tires.

Any x3 or X3 models or years to avoid? Just thought I would it by for opinions.
    X5 before 2003 is to avoid. They had a nice refresh in '04 (and a better AWD called xDrive). The 3.0 should be sufficient for your wife.

X3, well, not sure on reliability but do know that the Sport package was REALLY rough riding up until 2006. We're talking harsher than any other BMW, period. But the X3 sport is uncommon, dealers wouldn't order them. I will say to avoid the 2.5, it's a total dog.
    -Denton

My Cars
    1997 BMZ Z3 1.9 Boston

From personal experience I would avoid the X5 period

Bought my 2002 CPO with 35,000 miles

Before it hit 40,000 miles the following had been replaced:
    - sunroof casette (leaking water into cabin behind dash and down onto pedal cluster)
    - A/C control panel
    - Stereo control panel
    - drivers interior door handle
    - passenger side rear interior door handle
    - ON MY DIME NOT CPO front bushings, balljoints, control arms

Before it hit 47,000 miles the following had been repaired replaced:
    - Alternator (left my family stranded on the highway)
    - Engine wiring harness (left me stranded on the highway)
    - Battery - my dime

Before it hit 60,000 miles (LAST STRAW)
    - Final Stage Resistor
    - CCV (I thought the engine was on fire engine black smoke in cabin) Major design problem with engine do some searches for details
    - Thermostat went car overheated (milkshake under oil cap and dipstick)
    - All 4 door locks had to be replaced doors would open but would not close again if it was below 35 degrees out. I had to bungee cord the doors to drive my kid to daycare.

Stick with the e34. Restore one they are good cars and known proven technology.

My Cars
    13 CR-V, 08 750LI

Echo

I too had a poor experience with a CPO'd 2002 X5 - master eletric control went out twice - CV boots, sun-roof leak etc. So I got rid of it and have not missed it. I replaced it with an MDX - more room and a better car all together. Tried and X3 and didn't like it on the test drive - just no right for me.

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    Have you thought about E39 Tourings?
    -Denton

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525ia

yes I have many times

Quote Originally Posted by 4500 RPM View Post
    Have you thought about E39 Tourings?
    I am sort of watching the prices an availability of all 2003 e39s. I think I want a 2003 530i sport. The wife likes my e34

We might just keep the Explorer and go for an e39 sedan or touring especially after what I am hearing about the X5 and X3.
    Thanks,
    Russell

My Cars
    Although they're great drivers, I personally wouldn't touch a V8 E53 unless it has a good, long, 100% inclusive warranty. 6 cyl is much more manageable, but there's a reason why they call SC the state where the E53 is MISassembled. Don't know enough about E83 faults to offer any kind of good advice on it.

My Cars
    86 911, 91 XJ
    I'd say avoid the X3 altogether and just go for an X5

My Cars
    330i, 328i, X5, Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by 4500 RPM View Post
    X5 before 2003 is to avoid. They had a nice refresh in '04 (and a better AWD called xDrive). The 3.0 should be sufficient for your wife.

X3, well, not sure on reliability but do know that the Sport package was REALLY rough riding up until 2006. We're talking harsher than any other BMW, period. But the X3 sport is uncommon, dealers wouldn't order them. I will say to avoid the 2.5, it's a total dog.
    DON'T do it. I just bought a 2012 X5 and 2 weeks in I am looking at a new engine. Well, I'm not, but whomever wants it is going there. It's a piece of junk. N63 engines are the worst of the bunch. That is problem #1. BMW will put a new one in for $19, 653. 😳 YEAH. In a 2012, no thanks.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If the Ford never broke buying a bmw will be breaking and getting the ford repaired is much easier And cheaper, npbut if you move forward don’t get the v8 engine stick with the six

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.4L Sport
    I recognize that this is an old thread, but it may be helpful to whoever is considering buy an X5... As others have stated, I would never buy an X5 given my experiences. I had an e39 that was brilliant and well designed car and so when I needed a SUV I thought the X5 would be a great choice ... boy was I ever wrong. There are so many fundamental issues with the various mechanical items that I simply do not have the time to list them all. It is simply staggering to think that BMW could make so many mistakes with the X5's mechanical bits...BMW really messed up and because of this I will no longer be buying any new/newer BMWs. I am fixing the last bits of my X5 and selling it and wishing whoever buys it to have much better luck than me.