Thread: Resurfacing E30 325is flywheel

My Cars
    Lost Count

Resurfacing E30 325is flywheel

Help! I've got a used E30 '89 325is flywheel that I'm trying to have resurfaced. It's a single mass flywheel, not a dual mass like the other E30s. Anyway, the face of the flywheel is not flat.. the friction surface is stepped up some distance above the face of the flywheel. I understand that when I have the friction surface machined that I need to machine the lower part of the "step" the same amount.... but I'm not sure if the this has been properly done in the past. Does anyone know what the factory spec is for the height of the "step" on these flywheels? Or perhaps know where I can find that info?

Thanks!

My Cars
    Lost Count
    ttt... anyone know??

My Cars
    325es

FLYWHEEL

I work at a BMW Dealer and the max run out is .1mm but there is
    no spec and they do not recommend resurfacing.
    If you have the flywheel resurfaced the shop doing the work should know how much to take off.
    If you take off .2 mm on the surface then .2mm should come off the other.
    Just be warned that i have had cars with resurfaced flywheels and rotors and they all comeback with shaking in the end.
    Well good luck.

My Cars
    Lost Count
    Unfortunatly, I have yet to find a shop that knows how much to take off of the flywheel... As you said there is no BMW spec for the "step" between the friction surface and where the flywheel mounts. Perhaps I'll have to just order a new flywheel and measure it.

It would be easy to just take equal amounts off both surfaces... but I don't know the history of the flywheel. Previous owners might have just machined one surface and not the other.

Anyone have the info I'm looking for?? :-)

My Cars
    89 332iX, LB7
    Bringing this back up from the past....

I had a flywheel resurfaced, the machine shop did NOT machine the bolt pattern outer section back down so there is NO step...

called the machinist back (guy's name is Vinny and he is used by TONS of shops in the Boston north shore area) anyways - he gives me an offhand remark saying... it'll work just use it...

i cal BMW, they recommend NOT resurfacing flywheels... (Probably for this reason...)

GREAT...

put it all together --> new clutch slips...

so I order a used flywheel.... its surface is BARELY raised above the bolt pattern....

anyone know this bit of info? do your flywheel's come back with a step? I can't be the only one who has had this problem....

My Cars
    87 325is
    I believe the directions with my ClutchMasters Stage 1 clutch called for a step of 0.01"
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    71 510 86 CRX 86 E30
    Reviving this old post almost ten years later hahha. I’m a noob with BMWs my dad had a few back in the 90s and always wanted a e30 and finally got one well two haha ES and then a IS ES is my parts car but anyways I was looking all over the web and everyone was saying the same thing these Fly Wheels can’t be resurface so you really need to buy a new one of did some one crack the code and found a way to do it right? Thanks In advance!! Bo)