RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2008 BMW 328xi MT noise in 1st gear

My Cars
    BMW 328xi

2008 BMW 328xi MT noise in 1st gear

When I am going very slow in 1st gear (5mph), and quickly press the clutch, I hear a clank noise that seem to originate from the gear box. When I am accelerating in 1st and quickly press the clutch, same happens. Is this normal? Also, sometimes getting the shifter into 1st gear is kind of tight. Dealer told me all those things are normal, and that earlier BMW models were even louder when shifting. My car has < 3k miles.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    All normal stuff. The clunking is driveline backlash. The engine torques up the driveline as you accelerate (even slowly), then whe you let off the gas, all the torque disappears and the driveline components basically rock back and forth, causing the noise.

Putting the shifter into first gear while moving is normally difficult. Sitting still should be pretty easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.