Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire noise, bearing or diff ??

My Cars
    4 BMWs.

Tire noise, bearing or diff ??

OK, I just bought my 325Ci this Saturday. One thing I hadn't noticed before was just how much road noise I hear when I'm driving the car. There is a constant noise whenever the car is rolling. There are no vibrations or anything like that. The noise only changes over different types of pavement and gets a lower pitch as I slow the car down. There is no difference when taking corners or anything, which leads me against it being a wheel bearing.

I know its hard to diagnose on a forum, but any thoughts are welcome

Al.

UPDATE... noise is gone via new tires, see post #28 in this thread
    Last edited by amancuso; 01-11-2008 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Update!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Dunlops or Bridgestones?

Once either of those tires in the sizes that are on the pic in your sig get a few thousand miles on them, they get LOUD. I'm pretty sure it's the fault of the car as much as how the car wears on the tires and the tires' compound. Whatever it is, the two don't agree on how a tire should wear. We've have much better luck with Goodyears and Pirellis as far as the noise issue goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    OK , I've got Continental Contisports on them though. According to the manufacture date, they were made in early 2004, and have an ok amount of tread left on them, but the sides are well worn.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Oh, I forgot about the Continentals. But ALL the sizes of those tires are loud on BMW's (and a lot of other makes as well) after a few thousand miles (10k or so). If they're more than about 30-40% worn (so about 5mm tread remaining), they're likely the culprit.

Two options: Swap the tires around so that the outside edge becomes the inside edge so that the wear pattern changes (not recommended if the tire reads "this side out" on it). Or get new tires.

Ok, so 3 options, you could just live with it. But the tires are nororiously noisey in the 17 inch variety shown in your sig. I doubt you have any other problems. if the tires are the same size front and rear, you may try just simply rotating them to see if it helps the noise at all. And if you're really worried about it, you could try a set of 16 inchers off someone else's ride if that's available to you to rule out the other problems you mentioned and see if it's quieter.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Thanks for the advice! I'm thinking about new tires, any recommendations that won't break the bank?

My Cars
    2001 330i
    i have 19s with cheapo tires in the back(federal) and falkens up front, they make a lot of noise on the highway.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    My 2001 325i had real bad road noise due to the worn OEM Continental tires. They were worn in a very strange pattern, every 2nd or 3rd tread block was worn down noticeably more than the ones next to it. I don't know if that's referred to as "cupping" or not, I don't think it's quite the same as cupping.

They sounded like a pickup truck with mud tires, especially on a very smooth road.

Replaced the tires, and it was very quiet and smooth.

My Cars
    00 e46 (RIP) 03 IR ZHP
    sounds like tires...

I run pirelli's

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    will 235/45 17's fit on my car? I have a set that I bought for my 5 series, but I don't really to put them on right now... the noise in the 3 is driving me nuts!

My Cars
    E46 325i, E60 545i 6sp
    Depends, it usually goes like More Grip = louder, Less grip = quieter

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    will 235/45 17's fit on my car? I have a set that I bought for my 5 series, but I don't really to put them on right now... the noise in the 3 is driving me nuts!
    Technically, no. You need to stay with the 225/45 front and 245/40 rears (if they're staggered, otherwise they're 225/45 all the way around). But the 235/45's will only be about a half inch taller, so they'll fit, but you'll notice the difference in how they look. Performance and speedo accuracy will be affected a little also.

Quote Originally Posted by CrotchMonster View Post
    Depends, it usually goes like More Grip = louder, Less grip = quieter
    That's a very generalized statement. Lots of soft compound tires have tons of grip and are very quiet and lots of hard compund tires don't have a lot of grip and are noisey. Some soft, quiet tires get louder as they age, some don't. And then, just to make things fun, some tires that work great on some cars, on other cars... not so much.

My Cars
    E46 325i, E60 545i 6sp
    I said Usually, not definitely.

Soft compound mmm

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by CrotchMonster View Post
    I said Usually, not definitely.

Soft compound mmm
    oh, I know. I just was trying to explaing the scope of the general-ness of your post.

My Cars
    2000 328i
    I had mad road noise on my 328i. I just got back from the mechanic who replaced my wheel bearing (he originally thought it was the rear diff but luckily it wasn't) and it only cost me 80$.

My tires are worn the way yours are too..the sides are worn more than the other parts of the tire...BUT my car after having the wheel bearing changed has no noise at all...so my guess is its your rear diff...ive heard it creates a low and high pitch that changes...as you described. Have the rear diff checked out before you shell out on tires.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Wait a minute.... you had noise and worn tires just like the OP and replacing the wheel bearing fixed your noise, so you're telling to have his diff checked??

My Cars
    2000 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Wait a minute.... you had noise and worn tires just like the OP and replacing the wheel bearing fixed your noise, so you're telling to have his diff checked??
    Yes but when I turned corners the noise changed and i didn't have a pitch sound it was more of a whine. OP himself ruled out wheel bearings because the sound doesnt change when turning around corners....

I mentioned the tires so he can have hope that just because its worn in a certain way it doesn't mean its necessarily the tires making the noise....

so if wheel bearings are out, tires are a maybe...whats left...REAR DIFF. I'd check it first before paying shitloads of money on tires which are a MAYBE not 100% the culprit.

get it now?

My Cars
    2000 328i : 1995 396/LT1 Corvette
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey12 View Post
    Yes but when I turned corners the noise changed and i didn't have a pitch sound it was more of a whine. OP himself ruled out wheel bearings because the sound doesnt change when turning around corners....

I mentioned the tires so he can have hope that just because its worn in a certain way it doesn't mean its necessarily the tires making the noise....

so if wheel bearings are out, tires are a maybe...whats left...REAR DIFF. I'd check it first before paying shitloads of money on tires which are a MAYBE not 100% the culprit.

get it now?
    Somebodys got some extra sensitive ears if they can hear the wheel bearing pitch change that slightly from turning. I would not rule out wheel bearings based on that. Tire noise sounds very different from bearings, at least it always has to me. Have someone sit in the back (or you) while someone drives it, and try to differentiate whether it's coming from the left/right/center or what of the back.

How many miles on this car???
    2000 328i - Eibach Pro kit, Bilstein Sports
    Beer, it's whats for dinner

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by f1fan99 View Post
    Somebodys got some extra sensitive ears if they can hear the wheel bearing pitch change that slightly from turning.
    Actually, that's a common and accepted way to check wheel bearings... do some low-speed slalom-style driving and see if the noise changes significantly. The weight and load on the bearings will change as the car turns, thereby changing the pitch or volume of noise created by failing bearings. Good bearings are uniformly quiet, but bad bearings aren't uniformly loud.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Well as far as where it's coming from, I notice it sounds worse in the drivers seat then when I was in the passenger seat.... The pitch of the sound does not change when rolling and putting the car in Neutral either.

My Cars
    r.i.p. '01 325Ci 5spd
    Reading through I don't believe I noticed if you stated your tires are properly inflated and wearing well. Also, is your camber a nice 90 degrees? Do your wheels 'toe' at all?

Reference
    I want my baby back...

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWEEDOspeedo View Post
    Reading through I don't believe I noticed if you stated your tires are properly inflated and wearing well. Also, is your camber a nice 90 degrees? Do your wheels 'toe' at all?

Reference
    The tires are properly inflated as per the sticker in the door jamb... As far as camber, I've no idea how to judge that.

My Cars
    r.i.p. '01 325Ci 5spd
    If you have a level in the house, take it and hold it against the wheel so that it's flat against it. You can also stand something, that you know is perfectly straight, on its end and butt it up against where the tire hits the ground and it's perfectly perpendicular with the ground.

Using your eyes while looking at the wheels/tires from behind works too
    I want my baby back...

My Cars
    93 W140 '02 E39 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    OK, I just bought my 325Ci this Saturday. One thing I hadn't noticed before was just how much road noise I hear when I'm driving the car. There is a constant noise whenever the car is rolling. There are no vibrations or anything like that. The noise only changes over different types of pavement and gets a lower pitch as I slow the car down. There is no difference when taking corners or anything, which leads me against it being a wheel bearing.

I know its hard to diagnose on a forum, but any thoughts are welcome

Al.
    The bearing will oscilate a hum when it's beginning to fail, usually above 40mph and the hum usually won't change due to road surface changes , ex: smooth or coarse.
    My beloved, 2000 323i, Loaded, h/k, sport/premium, Z3 Short shifter, edead all over, NHT1259 Free air, bilsteins HDs, two tone cardinal red leather on doors. Sold

My German bricks: 1988 300TE Estate E-Class, 1993 S Class 500SEL, in a class of it's own, The "Beast", and a 2002 BMW 540iA, My daily, lots of fun .
    -BMW Service Technician

My Cars
    93 W140 '02 E39 540i

Reference
    The sport susp has a bit a neg. camber naturally due to the factory specs and suspension geometry, like /----\ , of course not that much, ya know.
    My beloved, 2000 323i, Loaded, h/k, sport/premium, Z3 Short shifter, edead all over, NHT1259 Free air, bilsteins HDs, two tone cardinal red leather on doors. Sold

My German bricks: 1988 300TE Estate E-Class, 1993 S Class 500SEL, in a class of it's own, The "Beast", and a 2002 BMW 540iA, My daily, lots of fun .
    -BMW Service Technician

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    If you have a level in the house, take it and hold it against the wheel so that it's flat against it. You can also stand something, that you know is perfectly straight, on its end and butt it up against where the tire hits the ground and it's perfectly perpendicular with the ground.

Using your eyes while looking at the wheels/tires from behind works too
    Except that all BMW's and notably the sport suspensioned vehicle have negative camber, more so in the rear. No wheels on the OP's car are going to be perfectly vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by the andrew View Post
    The sport susp has a bit a neg. camber naturally due to the factory specs and suspension geometry, like /----\ , of course not that much, ya know.
    Like that ^.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast