Thread: brake light switch *confusion*

XOC is offline Existentially Confounded
    My Cars
    Ninety-Nine SuperCharged TechnoViolet Em Three

brake light switch *confusion*

Quote from John PA from a different thread a few weeks ago on this topic:

Originally posted by John (PA)
    brake light circut. $300 bucks? No way.

Usually a $10 dollar part under the brake pedal. The other part that causes this is $12, although harder to get to.
    Okay ... I am reviving this thread due to extreme confusion! I now have a Bentley manual and I can't find a reference to anything that would seem to give the brake light circuit error besides the switch down near the brake pedal. Where is the "other" part located? What is it called?

Also, I went to the dealer and asked for the brake light switch for a 98 M3 and they had like a $14 part and a $25 part or something like that. WTF? They said one was a 2-prong or 2-pin thing and the other was 4-pin or 4-prong or whatever. Blarg! Does anyone know if it is correct that 61 31 8 360 417 is the part number for the one near the brake pedal?
    Lee

I just did my own fix. I think they raised the price too compared to the $8. I first got the $14 part wich has 2 prong. Well, that was the wrong part for my car. This is what you would need:
    manual: 2 prong (around $14)
    Auto: 4 prong (around 25)
    I was lucky, the parts guy was too lazy to write up another bill so just swap me the 4 prong.

also, once you get the switch, you'll know which one to replace. It's the on between the accelarator and the brake. Check this link out if you haven't already. http://nathandavies.net/bmw/brake.htm

My Cars
    Yup, I have that link bookmarked ... so much for the part about the $10 bill tho. :\

What threw me was that when I took it to the $tealer they said it needed a part by the glovebox ... and that it would be $200 or something to fix. I don't see anything in Bentley that would be behind the glovebox that would obviously affect the brake light.

Well I'll replace the part by the brake pedal and see if that fixes it. Sounds like I need the 2-pronger since I have a manual. Thanks for the info.
    Lee

My Cars
    BMW
    I believe the brake light switch is part of a recall from BMW. I posted last week about this and it was for my 1993 325. It may be so for yours. Go here to see if it qualifies :

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...ls/recmmy1.cfm

The dealer is not going to tell you that it is.

My Cars
    Ah ok, here is this thread, I couldnt find it last night :

Ok well sorry for sort of crossposting, but I really want to try to figure this out ...

I was ready to head back to the $tealer for the 2-prong part, but then I realized that 1) there is no automatic for the 98 M3 coupe, and 2) the parts guy was searching for parts for a 98 M3 coupe (he asked "2 door?")

So, I'm still confused, and hoping someone with parts CD or who has replaced this part can help me with a part #.
    Lee

I still think all you need is the 2 prong since you have a manual. I could be wrong though. My car is a 4dr 93 325i. I guess best bet is to double check with the dealer to make sure or you could take out the lower panel and look for the switch on you car. I learned it the hard way, bought the part, took apart the car, broke off the switch and realize it's a 4 prong. Luckily, my brother was out of town so I had his car to drive to the dealer. Well, you could still drive you car with the switch broken off, just make sure you keep all the plug you unplugged plug back in.