Thread: Starter turns, but gear doesn't engage flywheel

My Cars
    2000 740iL; 1990 Supercharged Taurus SHO

Starter turns, but gear doesn't engage flywheel

On a 2000 740il - when you turn the key to run the starter spins, but the gear on the starter doesn't engage the flywheel. When you return the key from the start position to the 'on' position the starter doesn't stop turning on it's own - it keeps spinning until you turn the key to 'off'. I'm thinking it's the solenoid on the starter and that I need to pull the starter and get it rebuilt? All of the lights in the car seem bright enough and the starter doesn't strain as it's turning, so I don't think it's the battery. So, before I pull the starter, does anyone else have any other thoughts. Going to check the voltage at the battery now.

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    GTS, E30
    If it is a bad solenoid (sounds like it is) just replace the whole starter with a new unit.

My Cars
    00 740i 6spd, 01 740i
    These cars have a one touch start feature. All you have to do is momentarily turn the key to the start position and release the key. The engine will crank for up to 30 seconds to start the engine. You need to get the problem fixed. Either the flywheel teeth are damaged or the drive gear on the starter is damaged. At this point I would suspect both. You could put anew starter in and have it go bad prematurely because of the flywheel.

If you can't check it out yourself, find a dealer or good independent.
    E38 6spd, 4.6is, VF Engineering Supercharged, Dinan HFM/TB, 3:64Quaife, VAC Motorsport underdrive pulleys, SuperSprint headers/mufflers, Smile factor.
    01 740i, Imola Red, stock.
    98 318ti, beater.
    97 540i, yard art.

My Cars
    97 BMW 740iL, 97 Rover 4.0SE + Custom Jeeps
    Not the solenoid. THat would keep the starter from working all together, as the solenoid acts as a relay switch, giving power to the starter when the key is switched to 'on'. Sounds to me like the starter is just plain worn out. If you get caught in a bind, (as redneck as this sounds) get underneath the car and bang on the bottom of the starter with something (screwdriver, hammer, etc.) Generally it is just that the starter gear won't pop out due to worn brushes/internals. Hope this helps.

My Cars
    00 740i 6spd, 01 740i
    Have you ever tried to whack a bimmer starter? Damn things aren't that easy to get to.
    E38 6spd, 4.6is, VF Engineering Supercharged, Dinan HFM/TB, 3:64Quaife, VAC Motorsport underdrive pulleys, SuperSprint headers/mufflers, Smile factor.
    01 740i, Imola Red, stock.
    98 318ti, beater.
    97 540i, yard art.

My Cars
    Alpina B7/4.6is/E34 540
    Im with Bimmerfixr on that one, I think the only one you can get close to with a hammer would be an M20 starter, or maybe an M50. You can't even see it from up-top on an M62.

-Ben

My Cars
    2000 740iL; 1990 Supercharged Taurus SHO
    I've almost got the starter off. We had a storm come through last night and it took out our power, so I couldn't finish removing it. If the teeth on the starter look fine, how do I turn the engine to check the teeth on the flywheel? I'm not even sure I can see them once I get the starter off - man it's cramped in there!

My Cars
    95 740i, 91 318is, 84 monte carlo SS, 90 T-bird SC
    it's the starter itself, I just fixed this exact problem on my car. It's not that easy to turn the flywheel, but you can use a pry bar or a big flat screwdriver to get the job done.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    I'm having a similar problem with my 97 M3. The starter sounded like it was working fine, but wouldn't engage the flywheel. I pulled the starter and bench tested it and it seems like the solenoid and motor work like they're supposed to. Before I pulled the starter, I checked the voltage coming from the ignition and it was 11v (a little less than the 12.4v coming directly from the battery). Sound like I should continue with the replacement?