Thread: euro ellipsoid install - opinions,tips, etc.. needed

euro ellipsoid install - opinions,tips, etc.. needed

I ordered my euro's late last week. They will arrive before Friday. I want to install them this weekend. Only one problem-

I'M NOT COMFORTABLE DOING ELECTRICAL WORK !!!!!

So any advice, tips and or comments would be great....

Thanks,
    Michael S...

Jim Powell has a good set of instructions on how to install the euro headlights on his website, http://www.apexcone.com. If you aren't comfortable cutting and splicing the wires on your car, you may be better off finding someone to install it for you. Or, do all the mechanical installation, and take it to someone to get it wired up - shouldn't cost too much to get 8 wires spliced together.

I didn't really want to cut the old connectors off to splice in the new ones on my car, so I built a set of adapters to go between the existing headlight connectors and the euro lights. I used some old 9005/9006 bulbs, removed the glass parts, and soldered/brazed on wires that went to the new euro connector. Once these adapters were complete, all I had to do was do the mechanical installation, plug the adapters into the euro lights, and then plug the existing connectors into the adapter...didn't cut a single wire on my car!

Jim
    Last edited by Jim O.; 07-24-2001 at 09:27 PM.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Well, here's a FAQ on doing the install yourself:

http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/ellipsoid.htm

Remember not to touch the bulbs with your bare fingers if you're going to take them out.. (the install doesn't require you to take them out but just saying in case you're changing the bulbs)..

Which reminds me, I have to go in and check the wiring myself as I've had it over 2 years now and it's recently started acting weird on me..
    ///M

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Originally posted by Jim O.
    ...didn't cut a single wire on my car!

Jim
    Nice!
    ///M

My Cars
    95 M3 & 98 M3 Sedan
    magic,

one of the best thing i did to my car.......it's not gonna make a difference in looks, but when u use it at night......the light is bright and sharp.......it's very easy to install. use the instruction manual from Jim..... to use the driving/daylight running light, what i did was i opened up my used computer and took out one of the wires 14 gauge that was a female and attached it to the socket. quick and easy.

recommendation! bring your lights to a body shop or a trusted mechanic to get your headlights adjusted with a scope. it's worth it (20 bucks)......i tried to beam it to the garage door but did not have any success.
    2008 Honda Odyssey Touring
    1998 Arctic Silver ///M3 Sedan (Bone Stock )
    1995 Arctic Silver ///M3 3.2L OBD1-Vortech SC Stage 2 w/ Schrick Cams, Aftercooler, and FMHE. Aquamist 1S, 3.38 LSD, AA Gen III exhaust, BMW OEM X-brace, //M Motorsport Brace, Front Euro Floaters w/ Ultimate Axxis, Koni Sports w/ H&R sport springs, Eibach Sways, UUC Evo3 SSK w/DSSR, Euro clear all around and Ellipsoids, Alpine CDA-7864 w/ Blaupunkt Amp JL stealth boxes, Forged LTW Staggered Rims.

The Forced has been Introduced!
    Euro 6spd Gear box - Installed!

98M3 OBD2 parts, Intake manifolds, Reducers, etc etc.......Click here to email me

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Originally posted by M3Jokster
    it's not gonna make a difference in looks
    I think it does... the glass, the projector style lens, even the horizontal etchings in the glass... sweet.
    ///M

My Cars
    just an old 328
    I like the instructions printed on bavarian.. its got diagrams and details..

www.bavauto.com under technical instructions.

I'll be installing mine too soon.. With dilling the H1 and silicone the Xenons in.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    Lots
    The BavAuto instructions aren't bad. The diagrams are nice.

But the advice to just pry up the cowl to get at the inboard mounting bolt is.

1, if your car is a few years old, the plastic will probably snap. The underhood plastic on BMWs gets incredibly brittle.

2, if you do this you will run out of hands and can't reach in from behind and grab the 8mm hex bolt before it drops into the bowels of who knows where.

3, if you have luckily grown a third hand to grab the bolt, you will still be one hand short of holding the adjuster to keep it from moving.

Just take all 6 screws out and remove the cowling. It will make life so much easier.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 01-27-2011 at 11:45 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Jim.. can u post ur direct link to the directions..

Thanks!
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    Lots
    Sure. Here it is.

http://www.apexcone.com/Lighting/Eur...llipsoids.html

I do like the diagram they do of the connectors. That took some time to pilfer from the manual

My Cars
    '05 CB M3
    Just installed the euro headlights on my M3. As you are I wasn't too comfortable splicing the wiring in but used the BAV auto instructions and removed the cowl as well. The 6 screws are well worth removing. I used butt connectors to splice the wiring. Also becareful when you crimp on the connectors for the new plug to the headlights. Damn little shits are a pain in the ass if you don't crimp them well. You give 'em a tug and they slip off the end of the wire then your stuck trying to pry open the end that is crimped. And of course you only get enough connectors to finish the install. Remember if you have a dinan CAI or any CAI I would test fit the head lights first (after removing the stock lights). They sit deeper then your stocks and I did all the splicing install before checking the clearance with the intake and I had to rigg the CAI to fit.

just trying to help

I hate those crimp connectors! They aren't too bad if you have a really good crimper, like one of those ratchet ones, but most of the time they're just a bad connection waiting to happen. Anytime I splice any wiring in my car, I like to solder and shrink-tube the connection. Saves a lot of trouble in the future...

Jim

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Thanks Jim.. just printed it out and waiting on those headlights to come. Not going to have to cut the wires... xenons are going in.. :p
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

Talking

Thanks for all of your help. I have a heck of a project in front of me. I have the new euro ellipsoids to install with an e39 angel eye halo conversion at the same time.

I guess i should have paid more attention to the electrical side of the house. Ohh well- I will have to post some pictures when I'm done.

Thanks again,
    Michael S...

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    JimO, do you have a pic of that connector you made. Sounds pretty cool
    JSP nice instructions.

Do any of you guys know how to make the "city lights" in to day light driving lights? My wife's GS300 has a small wedge bulb in the high beam housing that seems to act as the DRL. It's kinda cool. TIA
    Last edited by aus; 07-28-2001 at 11:57 AM.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

Sorry - don't have any pics, but it's not complicated. Euro headlight connector has 4 wires coming out of it - one is for the city lights, so I just ran that wire to whatever I felt like using to power them, like the corner light. Another is ground - I made that into a Y, going to the ground on the 9005 and the 9006. The other two are the power for the high and low beams - those go straight to the appropriate connector on the 9005 and 9006 bases. Wires are about 6" long, which is way more than what's needed. 3 or 4" is probably enough. After I attached the wires to the 9005/9006 bulb bases, I shrink-tubed them, then filled the cavity where the wires go in the bulb bases with epoxy, just to make it water resistant and to add a little mechanical support to the connection. Then, I wrapped it all up with some electrical tape, to protect the wires a little and to make it look like a factory harness. Nothing to it.

Jim