Thread: HELP -- Engine revving too much while shifting gears

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper

Question HELP -- Engine revving too much while shifting gears

hi all,
    this is the first time this has happened to me, i was driving an hour back and when i shifted from 2nd to 3rd at 3500 rpm, right after releasing the clutch, the clutch engages and then revs to about 4K rpm, stays there for 2 secs and then comes back to 3K rpm, then again when i shift from 3rd to 4th at 3500 rpm, right after the clutch engages the engine revs to 4K rpm, stays there for 2 secs and then comes backto 3K rpm.

any1 know what the problem is ???

any help is appreciated, btw i have 96K miles on my baby.

TIA,

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    Sounds like its time for a new clutch. Had that same problem ona couple other cars of mine.

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    just the clutch disc or the master and slave cylinder too ??
    thnx for the reply Dave.

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    I just replaced the clutch. I bought a 6 puck instead of another stock clutch...god i loved that thing.

Didnt even have to worry about the other stuff.

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    what is this 6 puck clutch ur talkgn about ?? got a link to where i can get it ?? so do i need to replace the whole clutch assembly or just the clutch plate ???

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    I havent found a 6 puck for a Bimmer yet...like I said earlier, did it on one of my other cars. I always like my clutch pedal to try and throw my knee back at me, thats why i liked the 6 puck.

Just need a clutch, and pressure plate. A new throwout bearing is always a good idea too.

Arizona, just this side of the wrong side of every
    My Cars
    '96 M3, 88 325i Conv.
    If you're replacing the clutch, you might consider replacing the flywheel while you're in there.

Since you're slipping it quite a bit at the moment chances are you're going to need to resurface the flywheel/pressure plate @ the least. If you replace them you can save a few dollars on that (about $35) and you'll be able to make snappier shifts.

mods:|ssk/dssr|pullys|light fly|empeg|cai|bbs RKII|euro rotors w/minitex pads|Kumho MX Ecsta|Stainless Lines|uuc tme|rear strut enforcers|jtd underpanel|rubber chicken|

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    so y'all suggesting i need to replace the clutch plate AND flywheel ??
    dragonm3 -- do i need to re-surface the flywheel/pressure plate of i replace the flywheel ???

is it better to just replace it with ///M3 flywheel and clutch plate ??? or should i stick to the stock one ??

thnx for the replies guys

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    We're not saying you need to replace the flywheel, you might just be able to have it resurfaced. You only have 96k miles on your car, and if it hasnt been driven too damn hard, then it should be alright. But thats something you can only really tell once you have a view of it.

I dont know what an M3 clutch feels like, so I cant say whether im going to suggest it or not. But if its any stiffer than a stock one, then I sure as hell would. Thats only personal taste tho.

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    well i got the car when she had 60K miles on her, i have been autoXing for the past 2 years(abt 10 events in total) and went for a DE this year, i drive it pretty hard sometimes on the street(take her to higher rpms)

if i am replacing the clutch plate and if the flywheel is not that costly(need to check prices) i might as well replace that too instead of having to wait and either re-surface or replace it later on. I am gonna ask some more ppl abt the advantages of replacing it with the ///M3 clutch and flywheel.
    thnx,

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    ok, i just checked the price of a flywheel, pelicalparts has it for $554 , how much does re-surfacing cost ???

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Rahul, I think you should do the e34 M5 clutch and UUC flywheel upgrade. I have this setup on my car now and its great. Clutch is $319 from bimmerparts and the flywheel is $500 from UUC. Good luck.
    -Joe

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    Joe,
    how many hours labor am i looking at ?? i need to see what the price difference is between going stock or going with the set-up u have mentioned, if the diff is not a lot i might as well go with the e34 M5 clutch and UUC flywheel upgrade(is this the ltw flywheel? )
    ur talking about the 11.6 lb one or the 8.5 lb flywheel ??
    do u have the part number for the E34 M5 clutch ??
    later...
    Last edited by Rahul325; 04-13-2003 at 04:06 PM.