Thread: E38 7 series interested in E39 M5 swap

My Cars
    2001 740i

E38 7 series interested in E39 M5 swap

Anyone know of E39 M5 swap into E38 7 series?

My Cars
    e60 e39 e28 e46 e36c
    Honestly, for the amount of time and money required to do it, you would be better off adding a SuperCharger from one of the existing companies, or doing it custom.
    Click for pics/vids
    BMW: e60 530i | e39 540i | e28 533i | 2002 |
    Chevy: 72 C10 (Lays Frame) | 70 Caprice

My Cars
    e39's
    Quote Originally Posted by legendary View Post
    Honestly, for the amount of time and money required to do it, you would be better off adding a SuperCharger from one of the existing companies, or doing it custom.
    +1 maybe a lsd!
    As I stated before, communicate well and often, especially when the news is not going to be pleasant.

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Actually, should not be all that hard. E38 and E39 are generationally concurrent and share a lot of hardware and electronics (for example, instrument clusters are directly interchangeable).

I discussed this awhile back with Brett Anderson at KMS ( http://www.koalamotorsport.com ) and he was of the idea that it would be reasonably achievable with seamless integration.

Of course, in my opinion, the only point would be into a long wheelbase iL model... a short wheelbase i, very similar to an E39, doesn't seem to have much point other than for the sake of doing it.

I would suggest you contact Brett directly if you are seriously interested - 440-564-7574. While I would never suggest costing for another shop, I would think you would write a check for at least $10K (and up to double) for the effort of a factory-like integration... not including the E39 M5 parts.

- Rob

My Cars
    4 M's & 2 turbos
    While visiting RRT, I saw a brand-new tasty S62 sitting in their showroom that came from a PTG shop. Call them if you need an entire motor, as I think it is for sale.