Thread: Help on Replacing Hood Release Cable

My Cars
    72 2002tii, 87 300 SDL, 91 M5, 95 M3 LTW

Help on Replacing Hood Release Cable

My cable for the hood release gave way last week and i have the new part ready to install. All that needs to be replaced is the bowden cable. Has anyone had to do this repair and if so, could you help guide me through it? Thanks

My Cars
    95 M3, 10 335
    thr bowden cable??? I just replace both cables and the releases PITA
    http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421543623/0.jpg[PHP]

My Cars
    04 M3 vert
    Quote Originally Posted by ca415playa
    thr bowden cable??? I just replace both cables and the releases PITA

yeah, no sh#t, i started to DIY, but didnt feel confortable digging under the nose panel to release the cable from the release/latch mechanism...............this thing is really pissing me off, especially since i am selling the car.

-Theodore Roosevelt

My Cars
    1995 Avus M3, 02 Jeep GC
    I just went through this a few weeks ago. Its not that hard, but almost impossible without taking the nose panel off. The nosepanel is held in by 10 bolts. There is no room to get your hands in there and get the cable out with the nosepanel on, trust me. The 10 bolts are located: 2 torx head each (t25 or t30 forgot) on the catch mechanisms, 2 on each side of the radiator, and 1 on each corner behind the wheel wells. I replaced the whole system for like $90 or so. There is some issue if yours broke. My problem was that the cable between the pass and drivers side was rusty and a piece of the outer core was broken. As well as the drivers release getting stuck in the relaxed position and not moving to its max open position. If yours does not open all the way like mine, you will mangle the nice new cables trying to get them where they belong. It was well worth the money to have a butter smooth hood release, and not have to pray everytime I wanted to open the hood. It is too hard to explain how to get the cable ends out of the catch mechanisms, but if you flip it over and mess with it you should be able to figure it out.