Thread: Question about springs, shocks, and STRUTS

Paradise Hotel located on Temptation Island
    My Cars
    '

Question about springs, shocks, and STRUTS

I am planning on getting H&R Race Springs with Koni SA shocks in May or June sometime. Would I also need to get new struts also?

And about the Race Springs, H&R's website says the race springs "should be matched with high-quality, sport-tuned shock absorbers.".......What does that mean???

They also say their "new Triple C Camber Adjusters are also highly recommended."......Is that just them trying to sell their products, or do I actually need those???

And they also say race springs are for track and occasional street use. So should I go with Sport springs? I want the best handling and for it to be pretty low. Would i be able to go over speed bumps with race springs if i keep my stock 17's? Thanks

By the way, should I get an alignment done after I have my springs, shocks, and RSM's put in? Thanks

BMW Cigar And Gun Club Member #7

My Cars
    2004 Lexus IS300
    You should do a search.

My Cars
    '
    Aready have. Everytime I try a search, threads that show up are ones that don't answer my questions. Maybe I'm typing in the wrong words in the search. Can anyone help me? thanks

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    Race springs are pretty low, especially for a street car. You won't be able to go over speed bumps with race springs. Where do you live?

Struts are the front shocks. You'll need 2 struts (front) and 2 shocks (rear).

H&R is saying that their springs shouldn't be used with stock struts/shocks.

I'd recommend the sport springs with the Koni SA's.

-Bobby

My Cars
    '
    Bobby, what kind of setup is on your car in your sig pic?

I may just go with Sport springs, but I am more concerned about the handling. I want badass handling, but don't want it low to the point that I can't go over speed bumps. Maybe I'll just have to sacrifice handling for not going over speed bumps, even though I barely run across those damn bumps anywhere. Anyone else care to answer my questions from the first post? Thanks

By the way, Bobby, the shocks in the front are actually struts, so I would be buying 4 springs, 2 shocks, and 2 struts, and that would be all? Thanks

My Cars
    1998 M3/2
    Dave,

I have Eibachs and Bilsteins with Kmacs (which raise the front about 1/2")

Sports are plenty stiff if you're on a stock suspension now. The shocks/struts will help too when they're adjusted correctly for your car too.

That's right, 4 springs (in a box set), 2 shocks and 2 springs. You should also get new rear shock mounts as they're probably already shot. I have the JTD RSM's but e46 mounts should work well too, although I've heard they wear out just as fast as the stock e36 RSM's.

Get an alignment too. You'll need it after lowering your car.

-Bobby

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Sport springs + Koni SA's are plenty for a street driven car. I bet you'd only fully use your cornering ability maybe once or twice a week??? Definitely stiffer than stock.

I've heard the Race springs are a bit too stiff for street driving, and drop the car too low for the spring rates. So they can bottom out under track conditions with R compounds.

My Cars
    2001 E39 525I
    Hey Dave,

I'm actually running on Koni SAs matched with H&R race springs setup (with Ground Control RSMs). I don't believe that the ride is too rough, but every person has their own definition of what is rough. I do have to be careful around potholes and speed bumps, but *knock on wood* I have gotten over all of them without any problems. You will have to get an alignment after you install the parts. I had my car aligned on a Hunter machine and luckily was told that I did not have to use camber plates. If there's anything else you need to know, ask and I'll try to answer them.

Peace,
    Slagboy.
    Past: 1998 E36 M3 / 2001 E39 525I
    Present: Non-BMW
    Future: E39 540i6 or M5

My Cars
    2013 BMW X5
    When you go shopping for the Rear Koni SA's make sure to get the EXTERNALLY Adjustable ones...I believe they are custom made for TC Kline....

FWIW.
    --Mike