Thread: M5 Advice needed

My Cars
    01' BMW 540i, 00' Camaro Z28, 01' Crown Vic Cop

M5 Advice needed

Hello guys,

I just found a decent price for a 2000 BMW M5 Sport package.

Just the way I want it, Black with black/gray leather.

The car has 71,000 miles on it.

Since I never owned the M class, I would like to know if it's even worth it to buy a 400HP car with manual trans with 71k miles on it.

Is there any common, known problems I should be looking for?

I am ready to sell my 520HP LS1 camaro that I had for past 5 years for this baby.

I don't want to buy a car that will be breaking down on me!

Appreciate your time!

My Cars
    pending
    two of the big issues are the carbon build up and the VANOS failing. also find out about oil consumption. in any event, definitely have the car checked out by an independent mechanic who knows the E39 M5. even regular maintenance is pricey- clutches, brakes, suspension pieces and cooling parts will set you back. but, if you find one that's been taken care of, you can minimize your exposure.

check in at M5board.com too. lots of good info there.

My Cars
    2003 530i 2012 X3
    M5 board.com
    2003 530i Sport; Blk/Blk; 6 spd; Brembo; Dinan Stage 2; BBS RS-GT; Zionville
    VF Engineering SC V3 for sale here: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...E39-6-Cylinder

My Cars
    2006 M6
    The clutches get brutalized in the M5 because, while it has a few modifications, the transmission was modeled after the 540i(280hp).

My Cars
    E34sx5
    Keep driving your Camaro.
    95' 540i6 Supercharged
    95' 540i6 4.7 Stroker
    95' 550i6 M70 Conversion

My Cars
    525i
    M5 = Deep pockets for routine maintainence. Now if you buy a M5 that is not molested then you are in good shape.
    "Lieber Nurburgring als Ehering"

My Cars
    '06 X5 4.8is
    if $1300 brake jobs seem ridiculous, walk away..........quickly.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    you only live once, and life is too short to drive a camaro.

My Cars
    M5,300zxtt,5.0L,A4
    buy the car and enjoy it man, people in forums always post about their problems, they never post that the car is running great or start a thread about "my car has no issues".
    I own mine for 3 years, drive it hard and not a single problem, Im still on original clutch and brake rotors,
    and about maintance is the same like any other car> change the fluids, spark plugs, check the tire pressures and off you go!!!

good luck

My Cars
    2002 M5

Great advice!

Quote Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
    you only live once, and life is too short to drive a camaro.

That is very true

My Cars
    01' BMW 540i, 00' Camaro Z28, 01' Crown Vic Cop
    Oh don't get me wrong! My camaro is and have been LOTS of fun!

I mean, car that pulls front wheels of the ground IS FUN!

Thing is, it is pretty radical set-up, and it is a garage queen.

I spend pretty heavy money on that car so, maintaining the M5 would not kill me.

Can't even take the girl out for a date in this beast!

M5 would be a very good mix. I think I would really love to have a 400hp fully loaded sedan, that looks so great, is so comfortable and performs at the same time!

I am 25, and I cannot afford having TWO at the same time, so either sell the Camaro put that money towards the M5 and buy it, or keep the camaro and buy the 540i.

About life being short! Yes, it flies so fast! I definitely want to enjoy as much as I can!

Thanks a lot guys!

P.S Attaching my baby here! It is tough to make the decision. Just as hard as you selling your lovely BMW for something different!

Check it out
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    m52 powered
    I used to be a mustang guy. I might put another one together for fun as I get older, but not anytime soon. These cars are so much nicer to work on. Hardly anything rusts, fasteners are all very high quality, replacement parts can be had cheap if you are smart. And especially as time goes on, seeing a clean e39 is not something that happens at every stop light.

The only thing the domestic makers have to offer me these days are trucks.

My Cars
    02 M5, 71 Chevelle, 68 Camaro
    Find a way to keep both! The ride you get in the M5 is completely different from what you get in the camaro. There will be days when you want the quiet comfort and performance of the M5 and days you want the in your face, brutal performance of the camaro. If you have both you can drive whichever your mood puts you in.

You also will draw attention from a different crowd in the M. You get guys in porsches, AMGs and the like who want to play whereas when in one of the other cars these same guys give you that snobbish "you're not good enough to run" look. I feel like telling them "wait here, I'll be right back!"

My Cars
    M5,300zxtt,5.0L,A4
    Quote Originally Posted by magisnyc View Post
    Find a way to keep both! The ride you get in the M5 is completely different from what you get in the camaro. There will be days when you want the quiet comfort and performance of the M5 and days you want the in your face, brutal performance of the camaro. If you have both you can drive whichever your mood puts you in.

You also will draw attention from a different crowd in the M. You get guys in porsches, AMGs and the like who want to play whereas when in one of the other cars these same guys give you that snobbish "you're not good enough to run" look. I feel like telling them "wait here, I'll be right back!"
    haha, that's so true

My Cars
    2003 530i 2012 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by mihai77 View Post
    That is very true
    hehe
    2003 530i Sport; Blk/Blk; 6 spd; Brembo; Dinan Stage 2; BBS RS-GT; Zionville
    VF Engineering SC V3 for sale here: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...E39-6-Cylinder