RM European Auto Parts

Thread: P1429 Code, but pump blows hard?

My Cars
    03 Z4 and 75 corvette stingray

P1429 Code, but pump blows hard?

Hey guys,
    I have had a P1429 error code on my car for the past 10 months. I've removed the valve from the engine and started the car and the pump blows hard through the valve......I searched the forum and I found that the valve can get stuck due to corrosion. I've banged on mine with a hammer and reinstalled but still have the same code.

Once every couple months the code goes away for 2 to 3 starts and then returns. Any advice? Is it possible the valve it stuck open?

My Cars
    87 325is
    Have you thought of trying a new valve?

Is the pump pretty quiet, or does it sound like a vacuum cleaner on steroids? In the latter case the pump has internal damage from corrosion and may not be developing enough pressure/flow.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Is the 1429 code for the secondary air pump and/or valve? I though it was 1410 or 1401 (but 1429 doesn't ring a bell).
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post

Is the pump pretty quiet, or does it sound like a vacuum cleaner on steroids? In the latter case the pump has internal damage from corrosion and may not be developing enough pressure/flow.
    The pump is very quiet, in fact I thought it wasn't blowing it was so quiet. But I found that it blows very hard.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Is the 1429 code for the secondary air pump and/or valve? I though it was 1410 or 1401 (but 1429 doesn't ring a bell).

According to some searches on this forum and google, it's for a "secondary air pump failure." I suspect the valve because the pump blows hard...... but I assumed that if the valve failed, it would get stuck shut....not stuck open.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The valve can also get stuck open, and when that happens, the pump is next in line to fail due to the moisture that is allowed through.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post

Hey guys, I finally bought and installed a new valve and gasket....but the SES light is still on. I also double checked the pump again this morning and it still blows hard on a cold start.

There are no other vacuum lines running to the pump or valve on the Z4 so I'm kinda stumped on why I'm still getting the SES light.

Does the P1429 light refer to other components? PLEASE HELP

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0
    I know this thread is old but did you ever find out what the problem is? I'm having the same code and problem on my '03 3.0 as well. I've already installed a new valve and gasket and the light went out only for a few start cycles before coming back on. I can't see any vacuum line like people are saying on the engine Z4's...the 3.0 doesn't seem to have any vacuum lines off the valve. Please let me know or else I'll have to take it in to the shop.

My Cars
    Wow, didn't know this was still out there.

P1429 turned out to be:
    Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage Heater Malfunction

I think the BMW service manual refers to it as a DMTL pump...either way it's located inside the passenger side rear fender well. I jacked up the car, removed the fender well and installed in less than 30 minutes.

3Leak diagnosis pump

16137193479 $112.36
    Here's a diagram...it's #3.
    http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...39&hg=16&fg=10

Let me know if this works out for you.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0
    I'm in the middle of a move and have all my tools in storage. I'll let you know at the end of the month when I move into the new house and try this fix. Hopefully this will do the trick. Thanks again.