Thread: Silly Noob Question -- Tire sizes

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25

Silly Noob Question -- Tire sizes

Hi All.
    I found this group while googling for the answer to my question... and have spent all weekend reading the archives. (Yes, my subframe is okay). When I bought my M, it had Hamann HM2's 18x8.5 front and rear. I just picked up a used set of Rondell 17x8 et35 and 17x10 et15, and I'm trying to decide what size tires to order. 225F/255R is what I was going to go for, but I would prefer 235F/275R if it will fit as this would be a little more natural on this wheel size.
    In digging through the archives, I've found that the Rondell's will fit, and the 275's will fit, but not if the 275's on the 10" Rondell's will. My crude measuring says no... at least not without rolling the fender lips. Has anyone tried this combination?

Thanks!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Sorry about bumping this... but in the interest of completeness for future forum searchers digging through this vast well of knowledge while leaving the sleeping regulars alone...

Yep, they fit.

My Cars
    91 318is
    Any pictures? I'd be interested in seeing how they look on your car. Thanks.

My Cars
    See sig file
    Your OEM 17 inch tire sizes should be on the driver's door jam, which will give you the nominal OEM tire dimensions.

I think that tirerack.com has some info on what will fit, and certainly has most of the dimensional information on the tire brands in that size.
    Pat
    ____
    '98 Z3 1.9L + '90 325iCab, '87 535iS_____________
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by AshishM View Post

I shot a few as the sun was going down. Haven't even looked yet to see if they are in focus, yet.

Also need to figure out if I'm allowed to post pics yet... and how.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    You should be just fine with 275s in the rear with those wheels. I think Clintjg was running 275s on his DTM wheels which were 17x10 out back I believe.
    -Joe

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpat View Post
    Your OEM 17 inch tire sizes should be on the driver's door jam, which will give you the nominal OEM tire dimensions.

I think that tirerack.com has some info on what will fit, and certainly has most of the dimensional information on the tire brands in that size.

Thanks Pat. Yep. All the info was available, and checked. Just no one could say, not tirerack or wheelexchange, or multiple forum searches, if *this* offset and tire size would clear. Hand measurements were close enough to be inconclusive. Hence I asked.

Turns out the 235 fronts on et35's are more of a problem than the rears. But after a solid afternoon of testing, I can say that they too will clear.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by AshishM View Post

Posting this more as a test of my web server setup.... crappy pic. If you want, I can try some daylight ones tomorrow.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, Z4M, E90 M3
    245/275 or 285 should make you really happy

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe, Z4M, E90 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Thanks Pat. Yep. All the info was available, and checked. Just no one could say, not tirerack or wheelexchange, or multiple forum searches, if *this* offset and tire size would clear. Hand measurements were close enough to be inconclusive. Hence I asked.

Turns out the 235 fronts on et35's are more of a problem than the rears. But after a solid afternoon of testing, I can say that they too will clear.
    235s on an 8" wheel et35 should provide way more han enoug clearance.

245s will be fine too, probably better.

My Cars
    See sig file
    Posting this more as a test of my web server setup.... crappy pic. If you want, I can try some daylight ones tomorrow.

Looks good.

More photos are always (mostly) better, particularly from all angles, front and rear. I like a wheel that has a good lip showing on the outside of the wheel, I've never been a fan of the front wheel drive look where everything is flush with the outside of the rim.
    Pat
    ____
    '98 Z3 1.9L + '90 325iCab, '87 535iS_____________
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Hostilis Civitas!

My Cars
    79 928

I'm running 225 18s with et35 with no problems. You should be fine. Nice car.
    Last edited by eScott; 12-23-2007 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpat View Post
    Looks good.

More photos are always (mostly) better, particularly from all angles, front and rear. I like a wheel that has a good lip showing on the outside of the wheel, I've never been a fan of the front wheel drive look where everything is flush with the outside of the rim.

Okay, we got a bit of a break in the rain. So you asked for it. The last two were GIMP'd up by a friend. He can do that sort of thing...

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    Looks really good. Suspension would do wonders to your stance though.
    -Joe

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestMCoupe View Post
    Looks really good. Suspension would do wonders to your stance though.
    I bought the car about 18 months ago... then family matters conspired to suck up every bit of available time. I'm just now getting to figuring out what exactly I have, and where to go. Step one was to remove those sucky.... (wait, I want to sell them) those premo but ill-sized HM2s. Step two will be to do some fixes (like seat bushings and window regulator). Step three is open...

The car is not a daily driver, but *is* a street car. As such it has to deal with the horrors of speed bumps and pot holes and driveways and such. Drivability carries more weight than pure aesthetics. I went with 17s (from 18s) to try and lower the resounding jarring THUMPS of expansion joints, with fantastic success, I might add. Though I don't know how much of the issue was due to the 18s and how much was those crappy.. err... highly rated Nittos.

So, anyway... it already has Konis (gotta check the settings on those, too), and who knows what all else. Strut braces for sure and probably bars. Any recommendations on springs and camber plates?

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe - 2014 435i
    H&R sports are just about the only thing available as far as JUST springs go. I'm running H&R sports with Koni shocks and am satisfied with it. I've had coilovers before from TC Kline and those were GREAT, but I got an awesome deal on my current suspension and couldnt pass it up.

If you're not going to track your car, I wouldnt worry about camber plates.
    -Joe

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by QuestMCoupe View Post

If you're not going to track your car, I wouldnt worry about camber plates.

Thanks on the H&R. I'm googling now.

As far as camber plates... you would *think* they wouldn't be needed for the street. But the outer treadblock of those old Nitto's suggests otherwise. We'll see what I do to these Sumitomo's.

Thanks!!

My Cars
    91 850i 6speed, 01 M5 SC
    Rondell 58's right?
    I love those wheels! Did you have to run spacers to get them to clear the brakes?

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by DubSport View Post
    Rondell 58's right?
    I love those wheels! Did you have to run spacers to get them to clear the brakes?

Bolted right up. No clearance issues at all.... but then it would appear I'm the only one here with stock calipers...

... and springs.

My Cars
    97' 2.8 Z3

Cool Rear spoiler

Hey! Where did you get the rear deck spoiler? Is it OEM of aftermarket?

Where did you get it and how much?

Regards
    Alexander