Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Replacing headlight covers/adjusters on E39

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i
    I have a 1998 BMW 540i, Would this be a way that i could install an angel eyes kit, rather than replacing the whole assembly. I've seen sets that are simply the lights rather than the whole headlight assembly and to me it looks like you would have to dissasemble the headlights to install these and if they are sealed headlights i would rather not have to deal with re-sealing them.

My Cars
    1999 528it
    I took on the task of replacing my mother-in-law's adjusters on her '99 528i last night. It took 2 hours, and I did not have to remove the headlight. This job can easily be done with the headlight in place and just removing the lens.

The old adjusters were so brittle I couldn't even grab any parts with needlenose pliers! I had to just push on it a LITTLE bit with a screwdriver and it would just disintegrate. Blow it out with the airhose, install new ones, and done. Jared sells the new adjusters from EAC Tuning cheap! Especially compared to a whole new light!

I just installed DEPO's on my '99 528it (from Joe @ Euro-Dyne), and I'd like to give a quick comparo to the OEM Hellas. Both are HID.
    Dims: DEPO's have a "whiter" light appearance to them, and seem to be a little brighter.
    Brights: Hella's by far are brighter! WAY better! The DEPO's don't seem to spread the light out as much as the OEM's. I want to try some higher wattage "off-road only" bulbs in my DEPO's brights sometime and see if I can help this out some. I know it made a HUGE difference on my motorcycle.
    1999 528i Touring (B&G & Billy Sports) & Chevy trucks
    Lots-o-motorcycles

My Cars
    325e,M3/4/5,540iA,X5 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by wquiles View Post
    Disclaimer: Note this is for my 2000 BMW 540i with HID and adjustable beams.
    I've tried looking... but can't find part # or info on those headlights. I like the pre-01 look without angel eyes, and want to replace halogens eventually with HID. Info on what you have?

thanks
    Montego/Saddle E91 328i xDrive - Estoril/Cloth Blue M3/4/5 - LeMons 325e - Artic/Black 1998 540iA (shell, for sale or donation towards LeMons)

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by rwh11385 View Post
    I've tried looking... but can't find part # or info on those headlights. I like the pre-01 look without angel eyes, and want to replace halogens eventually with HID. Info on what you have?

thanks
    I don't know what the part # would be, but you can find the original parts numbers here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

And please keep in mind that if you do replace your lights, the wiring harness might be different

Will

My Cars
    325e,M3/4/5,540iA,X5 4.4
    I don't know what the part # would be, but you can find the original parts numbers here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

And please keep in mind that if you do replace your lights, the wiring harness might be different

Will
    Thanks - I looked there, but under my year. Apparently I did something wrong or the HIDs were not offered until 2000. But found it now under 2000 and should hopefully be able to replace my adjusters and install HIDs at the same time. (might just get parted out headlights too)

Different parts between the same style headlights:
    LOW BEAM COVER 2 09/2000 63128362835 $24.40
    Covering cap high beam 2 09/2000 63128370312 $33.90
    STICK-ON LABEL XENON-LIGHT 2 09/2000 71237211223 $5.58
    BULB HB3 12V 60W 2 09/2000 63217160785 $18.86
    CONTROL UNIT XENON LIGHT 2 10/1998 09/2000 63128387114 $449.90
    Set braclets.ctrö imot Xenon light left 1 10/1998 09/2000 63128386555 $37.47
    Set braclets.ctrö imot Xenon light rght 1 10/1998 09/2000 63128386556 $37.47

But I have been employed at the dealer in the past, and one of the guys in parts went to school with me / E30 pal so he can probably help and investigate how to get it all from Halogen H7 to HID.

Good writeup
    Last edited by rwh11385; 12-31-2009 at 12:28 PM.
    Montego/Saddle E91 328i xDrive - Estoril/Cloth Blue M3/4/5 - LeMons 325e - Artic/Black 1998 540iA (shell, for sale or donation towards LeMons)

My Cars
    bmw e39 525d 2002
    Hello to all of you. I am a new member from Montenegro, Europe. I am interested where to buy glass - headlight cover which is crushed for my BMW E39 2002 production year (european model). My xenon lights are working properly but protetcting glass has been broken. One more question - is it possible to replace the crushed headlight cover from older regular (non xenon) light from old BMW 5 series?

Best regards to all of you guys from Podgorica!

My Cars
    1999 528iT, 71 Datsun 240z, 73 240zt, 69 Fbird cvt
    Thanks wquiles and OP Vince for a great tutorial. Just replaced mine and all the tips were a great help. Waiting for dark to adjust -- it'll be nice to see where I'm going!
    1999 528iT
    M5 emblems add 10 hp each, right?

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    I have these for sale. Amber part is broken on left side, but asking 100 cash obo, local pickup only though.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

adjusters broken, but i have a set.
    Last edited by Giancarlo976; 05-15-2010 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '01 M5 '82 320i
    FYI: Pelicanparts.com is selling the adjusters for $7 per side with $5.50 shipping.

My Cars
    '01 M5 '82 320i
    I just replaced the adjusters. The only tip that I have to offer is concerning the ball & socket connection with the adjusters themselves. Instead of screwing the adjusters onto the studs and forcing the balls back into the socket...I installed the balls into the socket 1st, since they would not fit into the socket without massive persuasion. I actually pulled the sockets out of the metal headlight frame, installed the balls into the sockets and then put the whole piece back into the frame. Then lines the adjusters up with the screw, and tightened them up.

My Cars
    2003 525i Executive
    Well i attempted this on my 2003 525i what a PITA!!
    I got nowhere with removing the cover, ahd the thing in the oven for 7mins at 200 degrees

i'm going to try again with a blow dryer and hope for the best

If not Tie Straps here i come !!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by hgdon View Post
    Well i attempted this on my 2003 525i what a PITA!!
    I got nowhere with removing the cover, ahd the thing in the oven for 7mins at 200 degrees

i'm going to try again with a blow dryer and hope for the best

If not Tie Straps here i come !!
    If you would have done a little more research you would know that the 02+ headlights used a different adhesive and can NOT be baked open

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 525i Executive
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    If you would have done a little more research you would know that the 02+ headlights used a different adhesive and can NOT be baked open
    Aare you serious!!
    Darn, If i only clicked a few more times

So what the fix? New Headlights??
    Tie Straps?

BTW thanks for replying

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by hgdon View Post
    Aare you serious!!
    Darn, If i only clicked a few more times

So what the fix? New Headlights??
    Tie Straps?

BTW thanks for replying
    Mark (e39dream; Mark@eactuning) has a procedure for doing the 2003 headlight adjusters. PM him.
    Quote Originally Posted by fijimon05 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    I hearts e39dream. He did my 2003 lights which can NOT be opened at all. I dont know how he did it and nor do i care. All I know is that i have solid adjusters in my lights and believe they might have been "beamed" into the lights or perhaps teleported into them.
    He did a headlight for me too. Professional work was done, and I was happy with the job on it. I don't know how he did it, but like Gumbi said, he probably has teleportation powers of some sort....is "teleportation" even a real word? lol.

I suggest anyone with broken adjusters on their 2001+ lights give E39Dream a holler, he knows what he's doing and does a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    DIY for the DIY section?

Mark,

In your experience, is that true of all 2003 headlight housings? If so, I want to change the title of the headlight adjuster DIY to reflect that.
    Headlight Adjusters Replacement (2001-2003)
    Apparently 2001-2002 headlights have this different adhesive which is softer and melts in the oven, which makes it possible to be opened. BUT seems like most if not all 2003 headlights have this rock solid rubber adhesive which doesn't melt in the oven. I had this late 2002 headlight though, which had this super adhesive and the damn thing would not have pried opened, so there is where Mark comes in and saves the day.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Thanks wquiles (and Vince) again for this excellent write-up!

I hit the pothole and my right light started to point about 6 feet away from the car.
    So this tutorial went completely handy...

I got mines from Pelicanparts.com for $19.50 shipped (thanks switlikbob for the info) and did them (only one side though, but I have adjusters for another one as well) yesterday after work! I took me about 30-45 minutes. They went to dust when I was removing them. I used small 5/64 and then 7/32 bit to drill (crush) old ones out.

Quote Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
    I just replaced the adjusters. The only tip that I have to offer is concerning the ball & socket connection with the adjusters themselves. Instead of screwing the adjusters onto the studs and forcing the balls back into the socket...I installed the balls into the socket 1st, since they would not fit into the socket without massive persuasion. I actually pulled the sockets out of the metal headlight frame, installed the balls into the sockets and then put the whole piece back into the frame. Then lines the adjusters up with the screw, and tightened them up.
    thanks switlikbob,
    for suggesting pelicanparts and btw I did it exactly like you suggested... I pushed all new adjusters into reflector first and then screwed whole thing in place!

My Cars
    are rusting away
    Great guide! Helped a lot. The one thing that I couldn't do was detach the headlight from the servo with the pliers. It wouldn't budge, so I used a bit of cable and tied it where I could, then give a good tug and heard that dreadful pop. After that I was quite surprised at just how brittle the old adjusters were.

My Cars
    '99 528iT
    Meh, next time read the thread a bit further and you wouldn't have had such a hard time

Outstanding job on the DIY! Just finished one headlight, I'll do the other tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to post up!

My Cars
    2013 X5d
    Can I just replace the outer cover and not go through the whole adjuster/HL housing ordeal? My interior lenses are fine it's just my exterior lens cover. I have a 99 540 - so I'm just looking for the easiest/least time solution. I really don't want to go the plastic polish route.

My Cars
    E39 540/6
    Quote Originally Posted by twdubs View Post
    Can I just replace the outer cover and not go through the whole adjuster/HL housing ordeal? My interior lenses are fine it's just my exterior lens cover. I have a 99 540 - so I'm just looking for the easiest/least time solution. I really don't want to go the plastic polish route.
    changing the covers out won't affect the adjusters, all you have to do is pop the tabs out and your set

My Cars
    2013 X5d

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 98 528i View Post
    changing the covers out won't affect the adjusters, all you have to do is pop the tabs out and your set
    thank you - so if my adjuster aren't bad i'm good to just replace the lens cover? appreciate the help.

My Cars
    E39 540/6
    Quote Originally Posted by twdubs View Post
    thank you - so if my adjuster aren't bad i'm good to just replace the lens cover? appreciate the help.
    Yes sir,

The photo in my sig is stock xenon headlights with covers from Umnitza p39s, something similar to these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-00...ht_4275wt_1165

My Cars
    BWM E39 523iSE

Broken Knob

I have non xenon lights on my 99 523i - replaced the broken adjusters but forgot to lubricate them properly on re-install. Have now rounded the plastic knob hold on the knurled end of the screw which goes into the adjuster. Knob has fallen off.

I will attempt to stick it back in place with Araldyte or similar, but can anyone advise a supplier of a new part - aside from a breakers please?
    Last edited by Steve Pocock UK; 11-12-2010 at 09:09 AM.

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Just finished replacing adjusters on one side (driver's). Much easier than the DIY indicated or expected. During adjustment last night, I made the collosal mistake of touching the passengrer's side headlight adjusters. I'll be replacing those this weekend. I will also replace the stock 55W halogen bulbs (hey - this is a 97 540i) with the PIAA Super Whites. Still - very happy with the results.

My Cars
    E39 ///M

Selling e39 headlight adjusters

Hi everybody,

I am selling headlight adjusters for BMW E39:

E39 1996-2000 prefacelift headlight (xenon headlights also)
    14 $ (for 1 headlight)

E39 2000-2003 facelift headlight (xenon headlights also)
    24 $ (for 1 headlight)

Shipping charge: 6 $.

Really great quality. Good feedback from buyers!
    Paypal payment accepted.

PM or E-mail (AutoForce@inbox.lv)

My Cars
    are rusting away
    Hehe, bought about 5 sets from you already.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast