RM European Auto Parts
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OBDII - Evaporative System Monitoring not complete

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    This past Friday, 15-DEC-17 I took my car for a smog check, but was denied by the smog station on the basis that I had one remaining readiness monitor not checked off. I was literally told by the smog technician "you need to drive your car more" to which I responded "you don't know what you're talking about; driving my car more won't check off the Secondary Air Pump readiness monitor". I also went on to explain that BAR permits cars with only one readiness monitor not checked off to smog checked.

I proceeded to argue with the technician and come to find out that he recently opened his smog business again after been shut down for 6 months by BAR. No reason for the shutdown provided. The technician explains that if he passes a car that doesn't have all of its readiness monitors checked-off, then BAR will demerit the shop. Collect enough demerits and BAR will close down your shop.

My advice to anyone trying to get a smog check without all of the readiness monitors checked off would be to call the smog station first and ask them if they will smog your car before you drive over there. If you don't disclose this over the phone, you risk being turned away after you arrive.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Do you have a windows laptop? And possibly a cheap INPA K+DCAN cable?
    Some magic can be done...
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Ratinoff, you can and should trust Abel here. He's the best, and has performed many miracles, for me, and my shop. I'd suggest that you send him a PM, and ask for his help. There's no point fighting city hall , when you can just give them what they want.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 5MT
    I've been trying to re-set the monitors on my E46 (2000 323iT with M52TU, stock) and I have four that won't reset:

CAT
    EVAP
    AIR
    O2S

No MIL, no codes. System was reset after a major DIY to replace the damned plastic heater tubes under the manifold and the CCV plus all the gaskets.

This is after 6 days and 100+ mi of trying and multiple attempts to do the FTP procedure. I've never had this problem before. Then I saw the suggestion about having the AC off. I've had the AC on the whole time (it's freaking 90º+ here). I remember that when I bought the car and it easily re-set it's monitors without any particular effort on my part, the AC was not working hence switched off.

I occurs to me that if the test procedure to re-set the monitors mirrors the FTP for the EPA, then the AC would be off to get maximum MPG.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also, my understanding for the highway test is that it has to be <60mph, <3000 rpm and 15 minutes continuous. I see posts suggesting 65mph. Anybody know for sure? It's been loads of fun driving at <60 on SoCal freeways...
    --
    2001 E36 Z3 3.0 5MT/Sport - back to 3 pedals, current FUN car, part time DD
    2000 E46 323iT 5AT/Sport - damned AT lost reverse, sold on an project car
    2009 E92 335i 6MT/Sport - escaped the PRC, sold to a good home, sorely missed
    2000 E39 528i 5MT/Sport - escaped the PRC, sold to a good home, missed

My Cars
    E36 M3 Sedan
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Do you have a windows laptop? And possibly a cheap INPA K+DCAN cable?
    Some magic can be done...
    I would like to know more info on how to do this. Abel could you help out ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12