Thread: Coolant problems

My Cars
    M3R6

Question Coolant problems

So here is the deal....

I change my thermostat about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I drained ALL the coolant (radiator and engine) and it came out to be about 2 gallons. Now when I refilled the coolant it was a little shy from 2 gallons poured back into the radiator. For the last week and a half since I changed the thermostat and coolant...I have poured another gallon into my coolant system....now this does not make any sense. I've checked for leaks and found NONE. I see no leakage from my thermostat, hoses or resevior. Anyone else have this problem? Any info would help.

Thanks in advance,
    Alan

PS. I properly bled my coolant system as well and have no bubbles coming out of my bleeder.
    1995 BMW ///M3 - current
    2001 Yamaha R6 CLE #74 - Wrecked due to CAGERS!
    1993 Honda CBR F2 600 - Project bike - SOLD!
    2004 - Honda CBR 1000rr - current

My Cars
    84.318i - 97.M3/4
    If the leak is from the big hose going to and from the thermostat, chances are you won't see anything because there's nothing under the hoses before the coolant hits the ground. Chances are it's only leaking while the car is in motion. Did you tightent the clamp good enough? Maybe too good and you cracked the hose?

My Cars
    M3R6
    cool thanks for the respond, i'll take another look if I tighten or cracked any hoses
    1995 BMW ///M3 - current
    2001 Yamaha R6 CLE #74 - Wrecked due to CAGERS!
    1993 Honda CBR F2 600 - Project bike - SOLD!
    2004 - Honda CBR 1000rr - current

My Cars
    Brilliantrot 92' BMW 325is, and blue 2002' Jeep Liberty Sport
    When you first fill up your coolant reservior, coolant will not cycle into the radiator until you have driven the car and it has reached full operating tempurature. After this happens, the coolant level in your reservior will apear lower because the coolant has been distributed throughout the entire cooling system,and you will need to add more. The M3 holds 10.5 liters, or 11.1 quarts of coolant which is very close to 3 gallons.