Thread: rear brake wear sensor

My Cars
    Manual 03 530i Sport

rear brake wear sensor

Last night i changed my rear pads and rotors for the first time. Every thing went fine except the waer sensor light is still on. Does this have to be reset, or does it mean it was not properly installed.
    01 530i

thanks,
    darron
    [IMG][/IMG]
    There's a huge variety of members here with different tastes, and in order for this forum to work a certain level of respect is needed with people recognizing the difference between constructive criticism and rude, uncalled for statements.

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    Did you change the wear sensor to? If not you will need to do that to get it to turn off. The wear sensor is a consumable part. Once it is activated it is spent and needs replacement.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Once you replace the sensor (yes it needs to be replaced if the BRAKE LININGS warning appeared in the Check Control Display on your instrument cluster)... turn your ignition to POSITION 2...not position 1 or 3 (which will start the engine)...WAIT approx 30-45 seconds...then turn the ignition off.

Upon the next restart, the warning light should be gone.

Here's a link to a past thread that dealt with this issue: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...91&postcount=7
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    Manual 03 530i Sport
    yes i replacd the sensor.
    thanks q, I will reset it now.

darron
    [IMG][/IMG]
    There's a huge variety of members here with different tastes, and in order for this forum to work a certain level of respect is needed with people recognizing the difference between constructive criticism and rude, uncalled for statements.

My Cars
    '94 325iC/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Once you replace the sensor (yes it needs to be replaced if the BRAKE LININGS warning appeared in the Check Control Display on your instrument cluster)... turn your ignition to POSITION 2...not position 1 or 3 (which will start the engine)...WAIT approx 30-45 seconds...then turn the ignition off.

Upon the next restart, the warning light should be gone.

Here's a link to a past thread that dealt with this issue: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...91&postcount=7
    So, without benefit of a proper measuring device how would one know if they need rotors or just pads? If BRAKE LININGS appear I assume new pads, any other message, rotors as well? Or can one do a visual, i.e., feel for a lip? TIA..
    Hey, where's Perry!?

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by BMRSEB View Post
    So, without benefit of a proper measuring device how would one know if they need rotors or just pads? If BRAKE LININGS appear I assume new pads, any other message, rotors as well? Or can one do a visual, i.e., feel for a lip? TIA..
    The rule of thumb is to replace pads and rotors at the same time. Some let the rotors go longer, but for me, I just change 'em, they're not that expensive and it's one of those things you do "while you're in there"

Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Live the Yuppie life, drive the Yuppie car, pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, but like to pose as a Yuppie? Pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.

My Cars
    87 325is
    The definitive answer as to whether to replace the rotors comes from measuring their thickness. It near or below minimum thickness the rotors need to be replaced. In the general case that will be when the pads are worn out.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    '94 325iC/5
    Quote Originally Posted by mookish View Post
    The rule of thumb is to replace pads and rotors at the same time. Some let the rotors go longer, but for me, I just change 'em, they're not that expensive and it's one of those things you do "while you're in there"
    Good enough for me! Thanks..
    Hey, where's Perry!?