Thread: Seedster&others...questions on a headlight conversion....

ccis Guest

Cool

Seedster, I hear you are the "God" of light so I thought I would direct this to you (and anyone else too). I would like to add the "Halo" eyes 5 series lights to my e36 and was wondering if it could be possible. I know there is no kit but if there could be a way I would be willing to be the guinnea pig. Any comments, advice, things to consider (aside from $$ issues) would be greatly appreciated. I know this may be completely off the wall but I thought I would ask. THANKS ALL!!!

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    I would love to do something like this too but i can find NO time and I think that seedster has the same problem. Another thing is this, NO MONEY!! If someone would like someone else to be the guinnea pig, fork over some money for there project. I mean, in college it is hard so if you want to see this happen, fork over some money.

just my .02
    A sports car isn't a car unless you know how to drive it!

Come and visit my part of the web.http://nathanhodge.homestead.com
    BUY MY ///M

ccis Guest
    I think I was misunderstood when I said I wanted to be the guinnea pig...I meant MY funds, MY car if it works great and I would share my info if not my loss. I just want some "guidance" (advice) along this trial. I would never ask anyone to spend their money on my projects. Anyway all replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    Oh, ok, sorry man. I know that he started the project but ran out of time and money so he might be able to help you out. I know that he tried to start it.

BUY MY ///M

My Cars
    2003 AW M5
    how's this to get your mouth watering guys....it really isn't that hard. all you gotta do is buy some "neon rope"....that they sell online everywhere or at pepboys...and just use (maybe) a hotglue or something to keep em and and feed them out the back where the transformer would be.....as alienman said....timefactor-wise....im pretty fooked....ALL this shit IS gonna be done to my car though by early summer....we'll see....as for now....drool baby drool!!!!! (this punk bitch took my idea....but whatever....looks sweet....its on an e46):

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    Ok, i would LOVE to do this now but i have the standard lights. Do i need to buy new ones and also, isn't that neon strip going to burn out rather fast. Because when i had my import, i had some flexible neon on the interior and it burnt out really fast. I think it was good for 50 hrs. That isn't enough for me so if anyone could help me out here.

BUY MY ///M

My Cars
    Pokeball
    i don't think it would be a good idea on u.s. headlights cuz you got to break it open to get the tubes in... on the euro headlight, there is a gap between the high beam and the countour filler panel, depending on how you adjusted your headlights, the amount of gap there varies but should be enuf room. by the way, just wanted to add that some pokemon beat all your guys and did this already!!!

My Cars
    Pokeball
    seedster> can you put up the link to the rest of those e46 pics in the photo point album? and who is this punk bitch? is she hot? is she in any of the pics?

My Cars
    2003 AW M5
    Originally posted by pikachu
    by the way, just wanted to add that some pokemon beat all your guys and did this already!!!

ehh......WHO??....YOU??? you already did the conversion? you son of a yellow gerbilled street whore....hehe. as for the link to the album.....never got one....just to this pic....sorry pikz

My Cars
    Pokeball
    Seedster> is this neon rope stuff bright enough? At least, as bright as original 5 series ring? I never thought of using neon,,, I saw this flexible led tape that could be used to the do the same thing,,, a bunch of high brightness leds mounted real close together on a flexible tape.

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    Can you please tell me where to get that led strip?

BUY MY ///M

ccis Guest
    Thanks all...lots of good ideas. So anyway you look at it the best conversion would be using euro-ellipsoids(?). As far as the neon rope or the led which do you think would be the most "accurate looking"? Seedster, thanks for the pic, I take it that was using neon rope? How did that person mount it? How much re-wiring do you think would be necessary? Thanks again everyone!!

CC

dorikin Guest

just some thoughts....

Would the neon rope melt thou? those lights get prettty hot....also...how do you turn it on? part of the light switch?

My Cars
    '97 328i
    link to neon rope shit....who says its just for RC cars.....

http://www.rcneon.com
    '97 328i, Montreal blue
    '86 535i Champagne (sold!)
    Sandbox IT

My Cars
    Rogue 3 TTs2.5 / Rubicon
    aside from getting the rings in, how phat would it be to have them flash at will? kinda like making the car wink.

Hey man, I'm a professional!

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    Ok, here is why this type of lighting would be COMPLETELY shitty!!!!! Don't do it with this rope. If you can see, it says "Operation: with 12 inches 15-20 hrs. per 9 volt ". I had this stuff in my old car and you don't want to have to REPLACE this everyday. Because that is what you would have to if not every week. This IS NOT for me if this is my ONLY option. I don't think that you guys would be happy with this AT ALL. Just wanted to point that out.

BUY MY ///M

ccis Guest
    Yeah no doubt!! Changing that over and over would be very tedious. Thanks for the heads up Outkast!! Is there any other type of this stuff with a longer life? Maybe we will have to explore the Led approach that pika mentioned...any thoughts pika? Thanks again

CC

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    Yeah, i am wanting to see this led lighting strip. It sounds like something that would be great for what we want. It wouldn't burn out very fast and maybe we could get it in hyper white? That would be great. Come on Pika, we are excited and want to do this so help us out man .

BUY MY ///M

My Cars
    Pokeball
    i dunno if this led tape will work,,, this place sells led tape based on your dimensions so you could space the led's so close together so that it looks like a solid row,,, but, i think the 5 series front ring uses only 1-4 led's per side? so,, ummm,,,, even if you buy these led tape strips,,, you still have to make some sort of 'lens/ring' to hide the led tape and make it look like 5 series... hmm, looks like they only sell the tape in bulk tho,,, so maybe everyone on this forum can pitch in and we can share!!!

here is the link,,, find the "tape" link...

http://datasheets.led.net/RGB.htm

My Cars
    2001 Ford Explorer V8 XLT, 2007 Mazda CX-7

neon tape

It says the neon tape runs for 15-20 hours per 9V battery. Meaning it just runs the battery down. A very simple voltage regulator could take the 12-14v car power down to 9v and power the neon tape indefinitely.

It looks like its very flexible and you can cut it to whatever length you want, even reusing the extra pieces you cut off.

Considering the size, flexibility and that a 5 foot strip with transformer is only $25, It would be a good option.
    '98 BMW 328is Alpine White
    M3 Exhaust, Illuminated M Shift Knob, Euro Alarm LED Module, In-Dash Business CD / HK Sound System, M3 Contours wrapped in offset size AVS ES100's, M Side Mouldings, Euro/HID Headlighted w/Clear Corners

Current unwanted "Features"--
    "Low Beam Failure" message

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    Dude, you can think what you want, but i had this same stuff in my car. It will run down quick. I am talking from EXPERIENCE. But believe what you want. Just warned you.

BUY MY ///M

My Cars
    Ford Exploder

Unhappy

Okay, back to the original question. Can you convert the Eurolights to M5 lights with the rings? I have the oppertunity to buy some at a very cheap price but don't want to spend the cash if it won't work. Anyone have a definite answer?

Thanks,
    John

No more M3, Had to buy a family hauler to get cash for the new house. A momentary set back, but the M5 is coming soon.

My Cars
    /// 95 M3
    I don't think anyone has the definite answer. The reason being is because no one has taken enough balls to buy some E39's and try this, including me. But it is just going to take someone to do this to see if we can. But i wish you all the luck if you want to try this.

BUY MY ///M