Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The dreaded VANOS rattle

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I would not do the rattle kit. I know it seems like common sense to most of you. You've already got the unit on the bench but here's my reasoning.

1) save money on parts
    2) save money on additional one time tools
    3) not all cars will develop vamps rattle. It's not a guarantee
    4) it's very possible to damage that assembly beyond repair. It certainly has happened. Then you've got additional expenses and additional down time.
    5) even if it does develop later on its perfectly safe to drive the car. It's not going to blow up
    6) it's not the most challenging job in the world.
    7) The entire job is done from above so you're not saving yourself from crawling under the car

Just my 2 cents.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Or you could just do it while you have everything apart for the extra $30 part and a few extra tools. So what, $50 and an extra 30 minutes? Not worth it to me not to do it.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert, 1992 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I would not do the rattle kit. I know it seems like common sense to most of you. You've already got the unit on the bench but here's my reasoning.

1) save money on parts
    2) save money on additional one time tools
    3) not all cars will develop vamps rattle. It's not a guarantee
    4) it's very possible to damage that assembly beyond repair. It certainly has happened. Then you've got additional expenses and additional down time.
    5) even if it does develop later on its perfectly safe to drive the car. It's not going to blow up
    6) it's not the most challenging job in the world.
    7) The entire job is done from above so you're not saving yourself from crawling under the car

Just my 2 cents.
    1. The piece is a $30 part of a head gasket job, so percentage wise not bad.
    2. The one time tool is the cut 18 mm socket, which they priced right at $5. Any more and I would've bought and cut one myself.
    3. - 6. Fair points. Damage risk seems low though.
    7. True, but it's not a fun job... cam removal, timing, new vanos gaskets amd seals if in there again etc.

Forgot to mention as well that I already bought the parts... I was mostly just curious if there was a reason it shouldn't be done on a car that doesn't rattle currently.

Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Or you could just do it while you have everything apart for the extra $30 part and a few extra tools. So what, $50 and an extra 30 minutes? Not worth it to me not to do it.
    That's what I figured. It's $35 to gamble that I won't have to spend around $90 + time in the future (figuring on all the seals you replace to get in there).
    Caprica Junkie

My Cars
    E34,E39, E39,E53
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    I just had my Vanos unit replaced, WOW what an improvement. I recently also replaced the lower chain tensioner (slight improvement), then the secondary tensioner (no noticable change). A new Vanos will cost ~$250, and about an hour for labor. I had mine replaced while having my DSR cams re-indexed.
    Where did you find these for 250 the only ones I can find are 800 bucks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12