Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Conversion

My Cars
    850CSi
    there is no accounting for taste! (not sure who said that, but they're right!)

on the subject of the damned climate buttons... I'm sticking in a carpc in my 850CSi, and I'll be accessing the climate control from the carpc. Here are some early pics (The OBC will be beneath the screen):

more detailed info here:

http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=7535
    http://www.digital-car.co.uk/forum/s...ead.php?t=7596

My Cars
    911 + E31
    Wow, what a great project.

You know, I really liked the Alpina B12's Climate Control System being moved to the "arm rest area". But your touch screen is a killer.

Cheers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    '92 850i
    Please keep use posted with updates
    Blake Edwards
    '92 850i, Mauritius Blue Metallic / Light Parchment
    1 of 196 worldwide in this color combination
    http://myworld.ebay.com/supremebein
    http://www.justracing.com/homepage/BlakeEdwards
    http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/SupremeBein

MK Motorsports MK-1's, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's, Euro M-Sport Mirrors, Euro LKM, Conforti chips, Dinan trany chip, Eisenmann Race exhaust, Cats removed, M5 3.91 LSD, MK Motorsports strut brace, Bilsteins, H&Rs, K-Bars Gen. 1, MWrench camber plates, Blue brake calipers, SS brake lines, More to come.

My Cars
    1973 BMW 2002

Touch screen

I would think a simpler choice would be the latest Alpine Multi-media with 7" retractable touch screen. I have an older version in my 840. That way you don't have to modify your dash panel. It just slips in in place of your factory radio.
    1973 2002
    Front & rear sway bars
    Engine bay strut bar
    Oil breather oil catch can
    Weber 38/38 carb conversion
    Polished aluminum valve cover
    Battery relocated to trunk with remote cut off switch
    Steel headers
    Enkie 16" mag wheels
    Installed oil pressure, voltmeter & vacuum gages in middle console
    Pertronic distributor ignition
    Custom aluminum vent and window door cranks
    Drier's seat RamSkin 1" custom fit sheepskin cover
    Modern Panasonic CD,Bluetooth radio.
    Nardi wood steering wheel
    Custom dash cover
    Added passenger side BMW flag mirror

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    That's exactly what i have, Alpine iva-900, You get indash MP3, DVD, CD, Ipod ready, Nav plug in, Rear view plug in, TV tuner etc...................................... It does it all, Takes as much space as a standard radio.

My Cars
    850CSi
    You can get a flip out VGA screen to do exactly the same, but it's not quite as factory looking. Besides, a center console is cheap to buy from the dealer (£27 which is approc $50)

regardint HU vs carpc... a carpc blows the hell out of the best headunit, and then some more.

I had one in my previous 5 series and did:

All the things mentioned that the alpine can do
    + GPS (maps of whole world)
    + Steering wheel integration
    + Google earth plugin
    + live traffice updates
    + internet browsing
    + wifi (to update music when close to house)
    + ibus integration

And that's just what I had. what you can also have are:

OBD interface to hook into car's engine data
    Gyro adjusted GPS for cleaner sugnal
    Gyro to measure BHP and 0-60 times
    IR night vision (someone doing this already)
    Pure digital sound using Digital out to a Digital amp (not all headunits do this)

as you can see the possibilities are endless

My Cars
    '92 850i
    I went to that site that sama gave a link to and found this link, interesting stuff http://www.fluxmedia.net
    Blake Edwards

MK Motorsports MK-1's, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's, Euro M-Sport Mirrors, Euro LKM, Conforti chips, Dinan trany chip, Eisenmann Race exhaust, Cats removed, M5 3.91 LSD, MK Motorsports strut brace, Bilsteins, H&Rs, K-Bars Gen. 1, MWrench camber plates, Blue brake calipers, SS brake lines, More to come.

My Cars
    '92 850i
    Sama, wouldn't nigh vision vision pretty much be a novality unless you could project it on to the windshield?

Can you read all the functions of the dashboard and MID and the EKM?

Can you read OBD I info?

You got me curious as hell.
    Blake Edwards

My Cars
    850CSi
    hehe, that's what happend to Tony when I talked to him about it, and look what he's done now!

See his worklog here

The s/w you're looking at there is cetnrafuse. That's only one of the front ends available. There are other free ones, like RoadRunner (which I use) and other payable ones like StreetDeck. Have a look at www.mp3car.com and www.digital-car.co.uk for more installs etc

Regarding the MID and EKM questions. You could do with with the E39 as MID info was available on the ibus. The E31 is the mother of all modern BMWs and the ibus was first introduced there. I've not tinkered around with it yet, but it's all possible, it's just finding out how EKM is just another bus with some protocol, and it works on a serial interface.

OBD is possible. This is not something I've been involved in yet, but I intend to for sure. You can get the plugs from ebay for very cheap (around £25 I believe)

A guy called Martin on ClubE31 managed to stick an E39 multifunction wheel and wire it up to his carpc. This is on my list of things to do do.

I'll start up a thread on here to show the end product, but if you're really interested in this stuff, you ought to join digital-car as that's where there are 2 current E31 carpc worklogs.

My Cars
    850CSi
    oh, re night vision

you're right as it's not 100% usable as is. But potentially (and this doesn't exist yet but I'm working on it), you can do some filtering on the image and highlight only very light objects, and potentially only showing problematic things on the screen.

but yes, a novelty indeed, much like the car :p

My Cars
    98 528i
    IMO the 8-Series does not look dated, the front end is modern!

It doesn't look like Fkn NightRiders TransAm. I don't see how you could compare the two.

My E36 looks dated, and everyone thinks it's new.... WTF!

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by BORGERDING View Post
    IMO the 8-Series does not look dated, the front end is modern!

It doesn't look like Fkn NightRiders TransAm. I don't see how you could compare the two.

My E36 looks dated, and everyone thinks it's new.... WTF!
    haha I thought you were talking to me, and then I realized I haven't even posted in this thread about that. I started a different thread about that. It DOES look like something from the 80's, the front end, that is. I want to see what one looks like with regular headlights.

My Cars
    1991 850i 1989 325i
    Sama - i'm loving your carpc - i'm jealous (even more jealous of your CSi - maybe one day...). I assume that will liberate your horrid old climate controls. Fancy selling them to me as my horrid climate controls are horrid and broken. I'll take your horrid ones if they work? PM me if you're interested.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisProia View Post
    On quite the contrary, IMO the E46 is the most attractive bodystyle of ALL Bimmers. All years, too. I like the E46 M3 the best of all BMWs.
    I almost agree with you if there wasn't the Z8

My Cars
    2004 VW .:R32
    theres a SWEET 850CSi at my friend apartment complex. red, lightly modded, but gorgeous!!! i love the 8 series!!

My Cars
    420G SPEED 6
    Bump

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by smokum View Post
    Bump

why?
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    850i, Alpina B7, E61
    I'm working on projector lights to replace the FTP's

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840ci Sport
    Newbie (kind of) from Bimmerforums UK here. A lot of people with 8's I talk to consider modernisation but surely you wouldn't have bought the car in the first place (if you love 8's) and try turning it into something else. My 840ci sport is AC Schnitzer tuned, M6 alloys, black vented all round disks...and every light replaced with either HID's, LED's or Zenons. the car (bar wheels) looks stock.

My Cars
    -90 850 -12 ///M550xd
    Think the car looks weird with the pop-up delete... the hood is just to long.
    -Egil (my name)

2012 ///M550xd touring
    1990 850Ia Hartge Supercharged.
    2004 M3 (sold)

My Cars
    1991 850i
    The pop up headlights are so well done. They give the front end that bad@zz look.

My Cars
    420G SPEED 6
    If they were the angel eyes it would look much better, like the black mystery race E31.

Last edited by smokum; 01-28-2011 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW 850, Alpina B10 Biturbo, Alpina B12 5.0
    The main reason I could see to delete the headlights is to make room for some forced induction love for the car. That said, I like how BMW designed the pop-ups in a low profile manner, very sleek looking.

The kids:
    Alpinas: 91 E34 B10 Biturbo; 91 E32 B12 5.0; 91 E34 B10 3.0 Allrad (mom's car); '91 B10 3.5
    Bimmers: 91 E31 850; 93 E34 525i w/ aftermarket turbo; '01 X5 4.4; 93 E31 850i Dinan TT; 89 E32 750il Dinan TT; 92 750il w/ S70 engine and transmission
    Mercedes: 92 600sel; 93 S600 Lorinser
    VW: 04 Jetta GLS TDI

My Cars
    420G SPEED 6
    Just thinking out loud, i wonder if its possible to make the lights open up only a couple inches and use a stronger beam to make up for it???

My Cars
    840CI
    I love my pop up headlamps. Beats driving around in a 50's/2011 porsche 911, god they all look the same what ever century they are from!!! Just looking at chrisbummermd's avatar???

Gareth

p.s. I love my 840 for its beautiful lines and it is the only BMW that I can honestly say I really like

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast