Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Conversion

My Cars
    BMW 335i

Headlight Conversion

I've seen this on a few 8 series and I was wondering how hard is it to do away with the outdated pop-up headlights and just intergrate the headlights into the front bumper? Is it worth it and if so, what are the potential hazards/problems that can come from such conversions?

My Cars
    '92 850i
    If you replace the FTP's with headlights you are going to loose high beams and fog lights and IMHO the light will be setting closer to road there by not shineing as far down the road.
    Blake Edwards
    '92 850i, Mauritius Blue Metallic / Light Parchment
    1 of 196 worldwide in this color combination
    http://myworld.ebay.com/supremebein
    http://www.justracing.com/homepage/BlakeEdwards
    http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/SupremeBein

MK Motorsports MK-1's, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's, Euro M-Sport Mirrors, Euro LKM, Conforti chips, Dinan trany chip, Eisenmann Race exhaust, Cats removed, M5 3.91 LSD, MK Motorsports strut brace, Bilsteins, H&Rs, K-Bars Gen. 1, MWrench camber plates, Blue brake calipers, SS brake lines, More to come.

My Cars
    BMW 335i
    Thanks Supremebein, I appreciate all your help.

My Cars
    Yes
    I say do a little front-end reconstruction to give your car a more modern look, and it is justified with that you cannot buy newer than a 1997.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    So would you do something similar to the latest corvettes?

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisProia View Post
    I say do a little front-end reconstruction to give your car a more modern look, and it is justified with that you cannot buy newer than a 1997.
    What would you do to make it modern?

My Cars
    '92 850i
    I think these cars still look modern, people ask all the time if it is new.
    Blake Edwards
    '92 850i, Mauritius Blue Metallic / Light Parchment
    1 of 196 worldwide in this color combination
    http://myworld.ebay.com/supremebein
    http://www.justracing.com/homepage/BlakeEdwards
    http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/SupremeBein

MK Motorsports MK-1's, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's, Euro M-Sport Mirrors, Euro LKM, Conforti chips, Dinan trany chip, Eisenmann Race exhaust, Cats removed, M5 3.91 LSD, MK Motorsports strut brace, Bilsteins, H&Rs, K-Bars Gen. 1, MWrench camber plates, Blue brake calipers, SS brake lines, More to come.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    I totally agree! I can't go anywhere without someone asking questions or wanting to race it.

My Cars
    BMW 335i
    I'm not 100% sure what I want to do to make it more modern. I think it's a beautiful car but I want to personalize it just a bit to make it stand out without looking like a fast & furious reject! I was considering on the exterior: painting it black (It is currently silver), adding a csi body kit, csi mirrors, 18" rims....on the interior: redoing the seats in 2-tone alcantara (black & gray) as well as the headliner/ a-pillars/ rear deck/ door inserts. Please let me know what you think...

My Cars
    Yes
    well the shape of the front end, the lights, and the headlights, make the car LOOK like it's from the 1980's. They say it looks new, but they surely do not mean an '07, or are car-stupid. There are lots of car-stupid people out there, but not too many.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Did you know your in the "8" fourm? I think you will understand more about Rare cars once done with school.

My Cars
    Yes
    I wanted to see a modern-looking front end on an 8er, since there are none. the rest of the car looks good to me, but the front make it look like an old car, like from that night rider show in the 80's with david hasslehoff.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    So would you do something similar to the latest corvettes?
    Great point. There are still modern cars coming with pop-up headlights (few and far in between... but still). At first I had similar thoughts as yours, concerning the headlights. I thought they dated the car. Made me think of an early Ford Probe at first.

But really.. the front-end of the 8 does not look like a Probe, you can tell there's a real engine underneath the hood. For that reason with it's pop-up headlights... it belongs with the likes of specific generations of Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Corvette's.... not Ford Probe's. There are some that have 'deleted' the headlights on other forums (look up Fern on the Roadfly forums)... but in some ways to me now, it just doesn't look right without them.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by bRIZZAd View Post
    Great point. There are still modern cars coming with pop-up headlights (few and far in between... but still). At first I had similar thoughts as yours, concerning the headlights. I thought they dated the car. Made me think of an early Ford Probe at first.

But really.. the front-end of the 8 does not look like a Probe, you can tell there's a real engine underneath the hood. For that reason with it's pop-up headlights... it belongs with the likes of specific generations of Lamborghini's, Ferrari's, Corvette's.... not Ford Probe's. There are some that have 'deleted' the headlights on other forums (look up Fern on the Roadfly forums)... but in some ways to me now, it just doesn't look right without them.
    Thanks, and good answer.

P.s. Do you have a link where I can see a picture of the 8- headlight delete?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Unfortunately I can't post links yet, I haven't posted enough (sometimes I think this creates MORE useless posts.. yet I'm sure it's a defense against spam). Like I said though, go to the Roadfly E31 Forums and search for "Fern"... eventually you will find some postings of his with pics.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    The E31 is a rare classic; and as such, it does not look dated to me. It looks timeless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    1991 850i 1989 325i
    I think the pop ups are all part of the appeal of the car. If you don't like the look don't buy one? There's no point in carving the thing to pieces - it will look stupid. I think the 8 is ageing very well, especially compared to some of the more modern BMWs, like the e46, which is looking really dated now.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    I don't think that's a fair assessment. Whom of us can't say "I like everything about the 8er except [ ]"? And we do change things all the time.

My Cars
    Misc.

Smile

I personally like the headlights...then again I hate the climate control knobs.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    Yeah those damn climate control knobs. I cursed at them all the time on my 750, now I yell at them n my 840. I'm never in the car long enough to get the system to maintain a preset temperature. Oh well. I love the car though

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by NickF View Post
    I think the pop ups are all part of the appeal of the car. If you don't like the look don't buy one? There's no point in carving the thing to pieces - it will look stupid. I think the 8 is ageing very well, especially compared to some of the more modern BMWs, like the e46, which is looking really dated now.
    I think the E46 and e39 is the most attractive bodystyle of all Bimmers.
    Last edited by chrisbimmermd; 02-03-2011 at 08:00 PM.

My Cars
    Yes
    On the OTHER hand.. I do want to say WOW to this car. Plus I am understanding that the look of the 8 is all about perspective. Instead of thinking purely of the aesthetic appearance, when you classify it up there with the older lambos, and let the style grow on you, then it becomes more attractive. Kind of like a wife who starts out great looking, and as you get to know her better, and her personality is so appealing, her "flaws" actually become things valued.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    Here you go. Notice no pop up headlights (Relocated to the light Strip).

My Cars
    Misc.
    On quite the contrary, IMO the E46 is the most attractive bodystyle of ALL Bimmers. All years, too. I like the E46 M3 the best of all BMWs.
    Each his own...I find the design to be too bubbly and round. A 3.0CS has a more attractive curvy shape if one doesn't like angles.

And yes, I had an E46.

My Cars
    911 + E31
    I am understanding that the look of the 8 is all about perspective. Instead of thinking purely of the aesthetic appearance, when you classify it up there with the older lambos, and let the style grow on you, then it becomes more attractive. Kind of like a wife who starts out great looking, and as you get to know her better, and her personality is so appealing, her "flaws" actually become things valued.

Great point(s). The 8 is wholly unique and as such, it is quite a strange beast.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast