Thread: ABS/DSC Light comes up after i drive for about 20-30 yards

My Cars
    Nonr

ABS/DSC Light comes up after i drive for about 20-30 yards

After i start the car all looks good.
    Put in Drive, i drive maybe 20 yards then i can here the break kicking in, i'm assuming the ABS is doing that, after couple abrupt braking attemps it stops and traction control light on the dash board comes on and stays until i trun the ignition off and wait for couple of seconds/minutes, if i just turn it off and turn it back on it stays on.
    I scanned the ABS with PASoft, i get back code 41 (dec) which is 29 Hex with parameter 255/ff.
    I looked through forums but coulnd find anything. I had my mechanic look at the sensors (rear wheel speed sensor) and all looked good. Then only other thing i was doing is coding IKE for a freind that has X5 3.0, but cluster fitted, i changed the vin on it and had in my car for couple days, thats when it started, and it stayed after i took his cluster out. Any thoughs ? Perectly if someone had explantion of the code that would be great, i looked in mitchel and alldata but those dont have that. Of course after i clear abs with pasoft it comes right back on when i start driving.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    sounds like u need a new abs module

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    i got the same problem when i had too large of a diameter tires... it was too big and caused both lights to come on... put new right sized tires.. and no more...

My Cars
    Nonr

Hmmm

Stock RIMS, Stock Size Tires 225/55/R16, Brand new. Is it worth a shot at the stealership to diagnose it, figure 1hour at 125 ?

My Cars
    Drat
    Try cooling down the ABS module itself first, either with ice, or refrigerant, or compressed air. If the lights stay off for longer than usual after you cool it down, that's a sign that it's the module, and at that point I'd have it read at the dealership. The problems with the Bosch modules are sometimes related to expansion/contraction of the connections on the circuit board, and cooling the module down causes current to flow through the connections that separate when it gets warm.

Also, if you can find someone down there who has a Peake scan tool, pull the codes with that and see whether you come up with the "CAN timeout (ASC1)" code (82); that's usually a good indicator that it's the ABS module, as well.

If you've verified that the speed sensors are good, there's a good chance it's the module, especially if you've got new tires on it. if you very recently had the tires put on, verify that nothing strange happened to the wheel bearings during tire installation, as that can sometimes cause the ABS/DSC lights, as well.

What year is the car? Is it one of the model years ('99 and '00) known for issues with the Bosch modules?

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Maybe contact Module Master see what they have to say...