Thread: 2007 M Coupe break-in period - black box?

My Cars
    2007 M Coupe

2007 M Coupe break-in period - black box?

Hello gang.

Just picked up my 2007 M coupe on Saturday of this past weekend, and I'm loving it!

I still have my '04 S4, but am parting it out to sell.

My question for you guys (even after searching), is that is there a black box of sorts on the bmw's for the break in period?

For instance, on the 60 miles I had on my car when I picked it up. Is there anyway the dealership can look into data showing revs over 5500, overrevs, etc.? The s54 is now 4-5 years old, but I do remember some going boom a couple years ago, and just want to be sure any prior damage that could have occurred will have mileage proof before my lease start.

Thank you

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Sia Bani View Post
    Is there anyway the dealership can look into data showing revs over 5500, overrevs, etc.?
    No.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

I don't think so. It is concerning though how even during my test drive the sales guy told to "rev it" to see how the car comes alive after 7000 rpms!!!
    07 Z4 M coupe

My Cars
    06 M Roady; 2011 Mini S
    Actually...the answer is maybe. The dealer DOES have the ability to check the computer for over-revving, top speeds attained, and average RPMs. However, most dealers clear all the codes stored in the computer prior to selling. So...
    If you bought from a dealer, maybe not, but if you bought privately, they CAN llok those sorts of things up.
    I know they can do this because BOTH times the engine was replaced in my M3, this was the first thing they checked, to make sure abuse was not the cause. They were able to provide me with the date and time of every redline rev or over-rev in the computer.

My Cars
    135i, E430
    I have no idea how it works, however common sense tells me that all rev records have to contain mileage stamp, for example you may service car at dealer, and somebody there got your car for a ride. I think it is the reason why a dealer first thing does as getting mileage record from your car at check in.

My Cars
    '97 M3 coupe
    I'm curious about the engine durability over the M3's reported failures. I'd assume they're okay by now.

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by vicj View Post
    Actually...the answer is maybe. The dealer DOES have the ability to check the computer for over-revving, top speeds attained, and average RPMs.
    They can only pull the data for mechanical over-revs (over 8,100 RPM). There is no data stored for the soft "4,500 RPM" break-in limit. They can't know your maximum rev unless you over-revved it.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    '07 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
    They can only pull the data for mechanical over-revs (over 8,100 RPM). There is no data stored for the soft "4,500 RPM" break-in limit. They can't know your maximum rev unless you over-revved it.
    Just curious about the over rev data.
    If I was buying a demo or used car I'd certainly be requesting that data;
    BUT, can the data be cleared by a dealer?

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
    Just curious about the over rev data.
    If I was buying a demo or used car I'd certainly be requesting that data;
    BUT, can the data be cleared by a dealer?
    That I don't know for sure. The last time I spoke with my mechanic about the issue, he said that the ECU will need to be removed and sent to BMW to pull that data...I don't know if he's just telling me that because he didn't want to be bothered with trying to pull the over-rev info on a car I was looking at, or if that is indeed the truth.

My Cars
    '07 M Coupe
    Thanks...
    I have an independent M-tech that works on my car... I'll ask him the next time I'm there.

My Cars
    2007 M Coupe
    Guys, thanks a lot for the info!!

I really appreciate it.

I have a couple private messages from old S4 friends, haha. Cheers guys.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe, 2001 740iL, 2001 PT Cruiser LE
    I'm still in break-in (at 550 miles so far) on our 2007 Z4 M Coupe. This car had sat at Stevens Creek BMW for almost a year so it already had 200 miles on it. But... we got it at at very nice reduced price buying in December.

Meanwhile, as I look at the soft red-line indicator lights, I have to wonder why they don't keep that down to 5200 rpm during break-in.

Seems like they could do the 105 mph speed limiter too easily enough.

Just wondering...
    Got this Z4 M Coupe in December 2007 - she likes it! (so do I). Other pictures from 2003 in Oregon. Oh my.