Thread: E36 Custom Turbo Build!!!

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.

E36 Custom Turbo Build!!!

OK.. so i mentioned earlyer that i thought long and hard about just selling my car and buying a real M3... but I've got over 13,000 invested into my car so if i were to sell it i would take a HUGE loss.... so i've decided to test my technobility. i've already broken the bank with what ive got so far

T3/T4 GT04E A/R.63 Turobcharger on a SPA manifold, 38MM TiAl wastegate.
    this is my first Turbo build so any help would be liked. I would like to run 10PSI on stock internals including HG.

My power plant is a 325 E36 Obd1 engine that has clocked 155K.

I will update as the project continues.......................

Quote Originally Posted by ///36M View Post
    F/I is a game you play with yourself. You convince yourself that with X amount of money and Y amount of time it will most definetly result in Z.
    Two-thirds of the way through X you are one-third of your way to Z. I will keep Y out of this, because the time it usually ends up taking is laughable.
    Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Sweet. What do you have done to the car that added up to over 10k?

My Cars
    F30 Msport, Jeep JK
    What kind of programming??? Standalone???
    ??????????????????????????????
    BMW Tech

My Cars
    2000 E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredM3 View Post
    What kind of programming??? Standalone???
    +1 I was curious about that also...

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Like I said before, thats a good decision. Since you wont get back anything close to what you put in, mine as well just keep it and make it even better. Keep us posted on all the mods and decisions you are trying to make.

My Cars
    1997 Dakar coupe.
    will stock HG hold up with 10 psi,,never installed turbo onto a bmw but i was big into saab turbo's and i was the man to go to for help..so any questions let me know.. I was running a TDO4h-15L pushing 31 psi out of it with SQR stage 4 tunning

My Cars
    97 M/3/4/6
    Quote Originally Posted by savage217 View Post
    Like I said before, thats a good decision. Since you wont get back anything close to what you put in, mine as well just keep it and make it even better. Keep us posted on all the mods and decisions you are trying to make.

because im sure we could help you make them .

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by toplezz328 View Post
    will stock HG hold up with 10 psi,,never installed turbo onto a bmw but i was big into saab turbo's and i was the man to go to for help..so any questions let me know.. I was running a TDO4h-15L pushing 31 psi out of it with SQR stage 4 tunning
    It has been done before, i forget his username but they ran 12psi on a stock 98 325 engine/HG, so i figure that 10psi is do-able. 10psi would only be run for numbers, i would probbly stay around 6-7 for everyday (b/c of gas prices and possible engine dammage)
    My theroy is that if the HG lets go i clean everything out and install a low comp one. if it holds thats good also. If my engine blows completly.... well then thats a bridge i'll hafto cross when/IF i get there.

as far as tuning i've looked hard into standalone and for my build its not the best/most cost efficent route. only making a max of 10psi i can have AA or bring my car to CSI for a custom burnt chip that pops right into the 413 ECU for around 400-500 $$$.
    once i aquire all the parts with the exception of tuning i should be able to get this thing built in only a few days.

If anyone is interested (when i get to the build point) give me a hand on tare down and assmbly of the turbo kit/clutch/trani upgrade? I've got all the tools. and beer i just dont trust my retard friends to go anywhere near my motor with out heavy supervision.

F/I is a game you play with yourself. You convince yourself that with X amount of money and Y amount of time it will most definetly result in Z.
    Two-thirds of the way through X you are one-third of your way to Z. I will keep Y out of this, because the time it usually ends up taking is laughable.
    Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaterD55 View Post
    Sweet. What do you have done to the car that added up to over 10k?
    paint alone was 5K... wheels 1300, every rubber molding piece was replaced with dealer new! entire frontend was rebuilt with Solid balljoints/offset solid CAB, HD inner/outter tirerods, HD motormounts, trani mounts, new trani (needs to be put in when i do the build) aluminum lower rear arms, RTABS custom race align, bilstein all around, M3 sways/HD links/poli pushings. 99m3 springs/ 97 front strut mounts(offset) HD soilid rear mounts, Highflow PS pump/ highflow WP. euro clear all around, elipsode projector lights. Drilled slotted rotors/Euro dustless pads. the car is virtualy undistinguishable from a m3. got the door sills/wheel/gauges/doortag/complete bodykit ext.. just a bunch of little junk adds up VERY fast
    no M brakes though

Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    dont have anyother pics as of yet but they will come shortly

Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Are you going to use an off the shelf, pre-assembled, kit or plan on doing everything custom?

I don't have much experience with BMW's yet, but I did the whole build your own turbo kit on a Subaru 2.5RS a couple years ago. I had pretty much no mechanical experience before that, and I sure as hell learned a lot from the experience.

But as it was my daily driver and I cheaped out on some parts, it became quite annoying to have to tinker with things constantly and determine what that smell/smoke/noise was.

Also, if you're at all worried about recouping any "investment" in this project or the car sometime down the road, stop now. It will cost a whole lot of money that you will never get back.

Not saying you shouldn't go turbo, but having a fast factory car without the problems of an aftermarket turbo setup has a lot of advantages. I would really consider the M3 if I were you.

I wouldn't mind giving a hand with the install if you go through with it though.

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusTT View Post
    Are you going to use an off the shelf, pre-assembled, kit or plan on doing everything custom?
    well i will use preassembled parts such as manifold, intercooler and piping.NOT A KIT like thoes horrable looking kits on ebay. but i'm also not welding my own manifold, so yes custom but i'm not completly fabricating everypart.
    i've already dug a hole and burried my self with this car.. meaning i'm already wayy over my head and i've lost all hope of "profit" from this car a long time ago except for my own enjoyment.

Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by m3saloon View Post
    well i will use preassembled parts such as manifold, intercooler and piping.NOT A KIT like thoes horrable looking kits on ebay. but i'm also not welding my own manifold, so yes custom but i'm not completly fabricating everypart.
    i've already dug a hole and burried my self with this car.. meaning i'm already wayy over my head and i've lost all hope of "profit" from this car a long time ago except for my own enjoyment.

So make sure you factor in a few hundred (if not more) for misc stuff (like GOOD hose clamps, bolts, more hose clamps, hoses, vaccum line, etc) it adds up real quick.

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    UPDATE*
    sometime in a week or two the head is coming off the car to go out and get a overhall, not that its bad just want it to be crisp. low comp HG is going in w/ some new arp's (when ever i get them)

I know a few of ya are out towards boston and not near me but I am offering free beer to whoever wants to lend a hand on pulling the head/cams ext...

Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    some pics from today, sorry they were taken with a cell cammera

Pre carnage

Post carnage

Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    quick pic of the turbo shop! Microwave included!

Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    tite
    Quote Originally Posted by m3saloon View Post
    paint alone was 5K... wheels 1300, every rubber molding piece was replaced with dealer new! entire frontend was rebuilt with Solid balljoints/offset solid CAB, HD inner/outter tirerods, HD motormounts, trani mounts, new trani (needs to be put in when i do the build) aluminum lower rear arms, RTABS custom race align, bilstein all around, M3 sways/HD links/poli pushings. 99m3 springs/ 97 front strut mounts(offset) HD soilid rear mounts, Highflow PS pump/ highflow WP. euro clear all around, elipsode projector lights. Drilled slotted rotors/Euro dustless pads. the car is virtualy undistinguishable from a m3. got the door sills/wheel/gauges/doortag/complete bodykit ext.. just a bunch of little junk adds up VERY fast
    no M brakes though
    no m brakes, no m seats, no m motor... boo

My Cars
    Various junk
    yo I have that same exact 35,000 BTU propane heater

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7808 View Post
    no m brakes, no m seats, no m motor... boo
    Hey what do you want me to tell ya? its not a M, if i wanted all that i would've bought one to begin with. I like the M styleing alot more than the regular 325, and being that i needed a paint face lift anyways i went and had the kit added.

Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    yo I have that same exact 35,000 BTU propane heater
    I mine is a 3 setting, 35000, 45000, and 50000 i think.. It is like a rocket engine! it makes a great toy when your bored too. burns up shit really quick

Welcome to the fun!