Thread: low oil pressure at idle

My Cars
    1995 m3

low oil pressure at idle

my 1995 m3 has been triggering the low oil pressure switch after the engine is well warmed up and only at idle. The engine has only 43K miles with a low boost powerdyne supercharger installed at 18K miles. It is not the factory pressure switch but a VDO barrel type switch with two leads on top, one for oil pressure guage, the other for factory idiot light. When I removed switch and put a guage directly in port I got 10psi warm at idle jumping instantly to 60psi with elevated engine speeds. I am assuming the switch is preset to 7psi. Bad oil pump...crank bearings??? any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    Cadillac
    The only way I can help you is to wish you luck.......... GOOD LUCK!

Previous cars: 1994 325i Vert, 1996 328i Sedan, 1998 740i, 1999 740il....current car: 1996 328is Sport/5 speed/black on black

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Restrictive oil filter?

My Cars
    87 325is
    The direct pressure measurement tends to say that you don't have a pressure problem. 10psi at idle on a hot engine is ok. That suggests that the VDO sensor might be bad. But as Balthazarr pointed out the oil filter could be reducing your idle pressure. Try swapping in a new BMW filter.

What oil are you running? BMW 5w30 synth is a special blend that runs a bit more viscous than a generic 5w30. The German 5w30 Castrol or Mobil 1 0w40 are equivalent to teh BMW stuff.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    96 M3
    Bad oil pressure switch. I had a similar problem. My idiot light would go on after reaching operating temp, but my VDO gauage said I was at 10psi. I just ordered a new oil pressure switch from BMP Design and solved my problems.

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    10PSI at hot idle seems fine to me. You probably have a bad oil pressure sensor.