Thread: Extra injector controllers and boosting the M52

My Cars
    328i

Extra injector controllers and boosting the M52

To start, this has changed from a "I want 350whp" to "I'm going to boost the M52 reliably for under $2000" project for financial reasons...it's just hard to turn down a good bet.

Has anyone used an EIC to supply the missing fuel to a stock DME M50/M52?

One of the biggest limitations I've found to putting boost on the 328i is the less than desirable DME's reaction. Under boost the DME will advance the timing stupidly and get me in a world of trouble in a hurry. But the timing can't really advance too much...it has to reach a certain point and stop and it has to be within the tolerance of combustion, right? It's just a matter of dumping in the right amount of fuel, right?

Enter extra injector controllers...I hadn't thought about these before because I simply have never used one (but all my previous N/A-T vehicles had no problem boosting on the stock ECU). No experience, but they seem tried and proven.

Now, my biggest thing here is that I'm not familiar with what will work best for my application. I have, thus far, only researched this kit but the cost is up in the air...it does not seem complete. That page says the pricing is for the controller only and I can not find information about wiring harnesses, sensors, or injector bosses. Are there other systems out there that should be looked at?

At the moment my list of gadgets is as follows:

EIC ~ $410
    FMIC kit (needs different dimensions) ~ $200
    Turbo manifold ~ $145
    Turbo ~ $380
    V-band downpipe flange ~ $45
    Oil distribution block ~ $60
    BOV ~ under $100
    550cc injectors ~ $180
    AFR Gauge ~ $60
    Boost gauge ~ $75
    Pillar pod ~ $40
    255lph fuel pump ~ $79

That all runs under $1800 and I still need to have an rrfpr on the list, I think, unless you guys think the stock FPR will feed 8lbs of boost ok? I also need to know where I can buy a limiter for the oil feed to the turbo?

Before someone chimes in...I know the eBay turbo kits aren't cream of the crop...I've dealt with the turbos and know what to look for If it's shoddy it'll be sold to some honda man and I'll go with a Garrett CT26. If it's one of the better ones I'll run it for a bit but, ultimately, I will be running a Garrett CT26 in 60-trim.

My Cars
    328i
    Also, someone tell me if I'm missing any of the big pieces in my list. I think I have everything but it seems like something's missing.

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    But the timing can't really advance too much...it has to reach a certain point and stop and it has to be within the tolerance of combustion, right? It's just a matter of dumping in the right amount of fuel, right?
    Nope.
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    328i
    care to elaborate on which part? It has to be an issue of proper fuel ratio.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Your self-assembled Ebay style turbo kit with EIC will bring you to the late 1980s in terms of technology in turbo hotrodding, but it is workable. I was using one of those in 1989.

There is probably little point in bothering to modify the Ebay manifold to match your leftover Toyota divided flange CT26 given that your original goal of 350 to 400 rwhp on 1 bar boost on an M52 now looks like 275 rwhp at 8 psi.

Why would you use an RRFPR with an EIC? The two are typically mutually exclusive. I'd do more than the brief search, if any, that you are accustomed to so you get a better idea what you are doing, or maybe someone here will put everything together for you in a long post that you can consider briefly before moving on to your next idea.

Philip Bradley