Thread: Random chime while driving but no error messages?

My Cars
    98 328i

Random chime while driving but no error messages?

Hey guys...

Lately I've been hearing a random chime/ding in my car while Im driving... its a noise like there should be something displaying on the gauge cluster but nothing comes on.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem or might know what that is?

It happens at the most random times and sometimes I almost think its in the cd Im listening to but its definitely the car doing it.

My Cars
    04 F350 6.0, 07 E92 328x
    what does the OBC say? i know the car will chime when it gets cold outside

My Cars
    96 328is, 01 M5
    does it beep 3 times? if so.. it's your MEMO button on the OBC, it's supposed to beep 3 times every hour if it's activated...

if it only beeps once, it could be a number of things, like your door microswitch going bad and causing the car to think the door is open for a second (this would also cause your dome lights to come on for a brief second though...) or it could be a faulty sensor somewhere.....

^^ Really old picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I am going to make a bold claim, that the f30 is this millenium's e30...... god needed a new chariot, he decided to upgrade to something thats not falling apart and making farting noises down the street having satan laughing at him.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
    Idiocracy was supposed to be cautionary tale, not a prophecy.

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    Your car has a bomb... nah lol yea its most likely the memo or the temperature. U can tell if its the memo button cuz itll have a logo that looks like o))) right next to the time. just click the memo button of its it and itll go off.

My Cars
    2004-325i, 2005-530i,
    it will be the hour chime.

My Cars
    E46 330i
    If it occurs while driving its definitely the memo chime. On your OBC press the button that says memo and the speaker icon will go away and end your chiming problem. In Europe, traffic reports are done at the top of every hour, that chime reminds you to tune in for a traffic report.

My Cars
    e30 318, 2000 civic
    Its most likely not the hour chime. It is DEFINITELY the temperature chime which makes sense because the temperature has recently dropped and you said it just started happening. I wanna say it does it everytime the temp dips under 40 (Fahrenheit) degrees but I may be wrong.

My Cars
    1994 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Null View Post
    Its most likely not the hour chime. It is DEFINITELY the temperature chime which makes sense because the temperature has recently dropped and you said it just started happening. I wanna say it does it everytime the temp dips under 40 (Fahrenheit) degrees but I may be wrong.
    37.5 F (+ 3 degree C)

From the manual:

If the outside temperature drops below
    37.5 5F (+36), a warning signal sounds;
    the temperature display automatically
    appears and flashes for 8 seconds.
    The warning is repeated whenever the
    temperature has increased to 43 5F
    (+66) at least once before falling to
    37.5 5F (+36) again.

Mine flashes if the temp setting is displayed, but if not, nothing happens (18 button OBC & all chimes disabled)
    Last edited by RobHacker; 11-11-2007 at 06:36 PM.
    It's the same thing night on night, who's wrong baby who's right,
    Another fight and I slam the door on another battle in our dirty little war....

My Cars
    e30 318, 2000 civic
    Ah, my car doesn't have the 18 button obc so it is always displaying temp and it always bings.

My Cars
    98 328i

hmm you guys are probably right about the temperature thing because it only was doing it when it was really cold outside...

crazy how many things a bmw has that you never figure out until months later from owning it.