Thread: E38 (2000 740i) sunroof issue

My Cars
    '00 740i sport, '00 323ci sport

Unhappy E38 (2000 740i) sunroof issue

Hey I'm having an issue with the sunroof of my 740i. I recently purchased the vehicle and immediately had to change the battery. I want to try the sunroof reset that I've read about on several message boards, however my sunroofs control switch seems to have a mind of its own. It tilts, moves forward and backwards, but in no obvious order......bottom line, you push the button, the sunroof always move, just I have no control which direction it goes and incidently, can not get the sunroof to go the the fully tilted location I need it to to hold the button in and reset the sunroof. Anyone else had this problem before? Any solutions? Thank you so much! Or do you think the switch itself is failed?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by 2x2000sMN View Post
    ... can not get the sunroof to go the the fully tilted location I need it to to hold the button in and reset the sunroof...
    1. If I understand you correctly...you are saying that if you go to your car right now, turn the ignition to position 2, then push upward & hold the sunroof switch button for approx 15 sec...it won't reset?

2. Or are you saying that your wacky sunroof switch won't go into the tilted up position so that you could then push upward & hold the button?

The text in your post paints the picture as described in scenario #2 above. That's incorrect. You shouldn't have to get the sunroof in the tilt position first. Try the scenario in #1 above...just push upward & hold the button and hold it for approx 15-20 seconds (even though the manual says 5 sec).

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    '00 740i sport, '00 323ci sport

tried it

went out to the car, key to position 2, pushed the button in (sunroof opened about 2 inches by that push, held the button in heard whirring noises for about 15-20 seconds sunroof remained in the same position. when whirring noise (best description I can come up with but very very quiet, kind of a cycling noise). when that ceased, I turned the key off and removed the key from the ignition. put the key back in turned it back to position 2......no dice. whenever i push the switch the sunroof moves about 2 inches. All the way to open...then will start to close....then tilts open....doesn't matter which way/direction I push it..... Maybe I'm not doing the initialization correctly, or it isn't processing due to the position it moves to when I depress the button the first time? I'm pretty technically savvy, but I figured there was some little catch in the sequence that was throwing it off.

Do you know if there is a specific position the sunroof must be in for the process to work properly?

The sunroof will move in every direction by way of the control, but it will not go the proper direction without moving in the full cycle. Also, it doesn't have the press the button and release and the sunroof extends all the way open, or press release and move all the way to close.

I really appreciate all your help. Perhaps you've heard of similar symptoms. haha

My Cars
    750iL
    I also have same condition in 97 750iL.
    It used to work fine but oneday I lost tilt up, I tried reset without being in tilt up position and now the sunroof only opens when I press open or close, closes when I press on tilt up. It doesn't go in to tilt up position regardless of what I do.
    Good thing is I can get it closed so I don't have to worry about water coming in.
    I wish I knew how I can get this fixed.

My Cars
    750iL
    I opened the sunroof by pressing on close button, I closed the sunroof by pressing on tilt up button. When the sunroof was closed I pressed on tilt up button again and held up for 20secs, I did this for 3 times and it finally went in to tilt up position.
    It all work fine now.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL

Did you guys have any joy with this?

Guys,

I have pretty much an identical issue to 2x2000xMN and am having trouble resolving it. I have already tried removing the fuse for the sunroof and reinserting it in an attempt to reset/reinitialise it but no joy. I have also swapped the switch from another E38 and the issue is identical.

I note 957oil's post saying he'd fixed it but I can't get the tilt button (i.e. pushing the centre of the switch in) to close the roof when it is fully open. The roof opens in short jerky movements if you keep hitting the button to open the roof (or the tilt button). Eventually when it gets to the end (i.e. fully open) it kind of locks. You can then close it again in short jerky movements using the 'slide open' button (i.e. pushing the switch towards the rear of the car). If you try closing it using the 'close' button (i.e. moving switch towards the front of the car) it moves forward for 3-4 clicks before the close button becomes inactive. From this point if you select slide open on the switch it acts to close the roof completeley in short jerky movements using repeated presses of the slide open button.

I note QSilver7's post that it should reset if you start when the roof is closed, insert the key to position 2 and press and hold the tilt button for 20 seconds. When I do this all that happens is that the roof slides back a few inches and holds in that position - nothing else happens regardless of how long you hold the tilt button in for.

Any help appreciated. I would be particularly interested whether 2x2000xMN ever got to the bottom of his issue.

I am contemplating swapping the motor and SHD module but I am worried that this might need to be recoded with the car's computer or something so would prefer to exhaust all other possible remedial steps first.

Like I say, any help appreciated. Thanks guys!

EDIT: I bought the car recently (a yr 2000 740iL and the dealer had mentioned they had disconnected the battery recently). Unfortunately it was raining buckets the day I went to buy it so I never tried the roof that day. Only found out about it a few days later. I know, a big d'oh! for me. It's not a massive issue as I'm really pleased with the car otherwise and I am sure this is a minor issue that can be fixed in time. Whilst it is impractical to operate the roof in the manner above, I have never been unable to close the roof so security/rain hasn't been an issue (albeit I have had to close it using repeated clicks and in the short jerky movements mentioned above).
    Last edited by Dhanj; 08-26-2012 at 03:42 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740 IL
    Hello Im really aggravated tonight with my 2001 740 IL. I just disconnected the battery for something and now the sunroof has no power so I can't reset it by holding the button for 20 seconds. Also the lights at the bottom of the doors are on WTF??? Does this sound like anything you've heard of? The whole thing started since I have a bad micro switch on the driver's side latch (infamous "door open" message) and so before I took the air bag out of the door I decided to disconnect the battery just in case. Little did I know that the sunroof wasn't going to work anymore. Is there a fuse for it? Do you think the GM or the sunroof module failed? I held the button for 3+ minutes to make sure. Is there a special sequence to reset it or do all the doors have to be close and since my micro switch tells the car the door is open it won't let the sunroof think right? Im at a loss here. Any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    E46 M3 conv, E30 325iS, E39 M5
    Bringing this back up. I am having the same issue as Dhanj and 2x2000xMN.

I just acquired another E38 and the sunroof behaves as they described: it will go in small steps, about 1" each, in a precise cycle (open -> close -> part up -> down) as long as you use the OPPOSITE button as you should, that is to say, with the sunroof closed, you move the button in the CLOSE direction and it will start going back by 1" at a time... release... press again.. another 1"... etc. When you're all the way in the open position, moving the button in the OPEN position will cause it to close, same way, then start to get into the tilt position up to about 1/3 of the way up. At that point, button to CLOSE will bring it down and you have to get the height right to have it closed. Pushing the button up to the tilt position never does anything and repeated 30+ sec. presses to reset it accomplished nothing.

It is perhaps worth noting that it looks like a wiper rubber part is misplaced and a portion of it peeks out behind the cover if you slide the cover back all the way.

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    I too have a similar situation, my switch is nuts close is open, open is tilt, and tilt is different Everytime, also it's not one touch I have to press it every inch or so. Replacement switch does the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    2001 740il
    If I’m right it’s hold switch forwards and then turn key on. Hold till sunroof moves through all positions. The other was is tilt to vent position and hold switch until it closes. One or the other should reset sunroof.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Hey wassup, I have an 95 740i and my sunroof won’t open at all. I tried manually to open it and it would not move. Replaced the motor and it moved a little bit, but it would not open. I’m thinking the rails might be rusted. But I need to figure how I can open it so I can removed the headliner. If anyone has any suggestions please recommend.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL
    Same issue here in 2021. Tried two different switches and both resets.
    Incremental opening that doesn't relate to switch position.
    Frustrating, to say the least.

My Cars
    2001 740il
    You don’t have to pull the headliner to replace the cable’s. You will need to remove the glass/metal and sun visors/a pillar trim to get to the rails. 4 t20-15(can’t remember) bolts hold the sun roof glass/metal in place, that will be the challenge with the sunroof not moving. Otherwise all work can be done even if the cables are rusty. Without removing headliner.