Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Alpine 9885 head unit or keep the stock head unit???

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560

Alpine 9885 head unit or keep the stock head unit???

I am planning to change speakers to Boston Pro's and a Bostom amp.

Will it make that much of a sound quality difference to keep the stock head unit vs going with an Alpine 9885?

My previous two cars had aftermarket speakers/amps with the factory head units and they sounded great. I am being advised to change the BMW head unit by virtually everyone I talk to. Is it really that bad?

Opinions?

Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 ///M3
    You won't be disappointed with that Alpine unit's performance.

Aesthetics are a key to some though. I, for example, hate the look of the Alpine units and would never have on in my car. But some people love their look. And ugly or pretty, they sound great.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Thanks yes that is part of my concern, I like the stock look. Do you think that the performance of the Alpine head unit is that much better than the stock head unit? Will it make that much difference in the sound if I am going to add an amp?

My Cars
    '98.5 M3/2/5
    I think it'll make a difference. Will it make $300 worth of difference? I don't know and I sort of doubt it. I'd say the 9887 may provide more advantage then the 9885 but again, that's another $100.

If you're partial to the way the stock unit looks, build the system around it and see how it sounds. If you decide you need more, then add the aftermarket head unit.

Building around the OEM unit would, in theory, be slightly easier without replacing the head and adding an aftermarket head later wouldn't really necessitate you do the same work twice... I'd say give it a go and see how you feel.

Cosmos on Black '98.5 M3 Coupe 5MT

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by antik View Post
    I think it'll make a difference. Will it make $300 worth of difference? I don't know and I sort of doubt it. I'd say the 9887 may provide more advantage then the 9885 but again, that's another $100.

If you're partial to the way the stock unit looks, build the system around it and see how it sounds. If you decide you need more, then add the aftermarket head unit.

Building around the OEM unit would, in theory, be slightly easier without replacing the head and adding an aftermarket head later wouldn't really necessitate you do the same work twice... I'd say give it a go and see how you feel.
    That is kind of what I was thinking.

The only thing the installer said is that the signal coming out of the stock head unit is not and will not be as good as the Alpine. That is the signal going to the aftermarket amp. His logic was if the signal is poor then the upgrades don't make as much of a difference.

I wish I could a/b it like home audio.

My Cars
    '98.5 M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    That is kind of what I was thinking.

The only thing the installer said is that the signal coming out of the stock head unit is not and will not be as good as the Alpine. That is the signal going to the aftermarket amp. His logic was if the signal is poor then the upgrades don't make as much of a difference.

I wish I could a/b it like home audio.
    The installer is sort of right... the Alpine's sound processor (even in the 9885) is likely better then stock and the 4v pre-outs help too. Will staying with the stock head unit void the advantages of your new amplifier and speakers? I highly doubt it.

Sure, there'd be room for improvement but I imagine you'll notice a huge improvement either way.

Look at it this way... folks do the opposite on a regular basis (replacing the head unit and nothing else) and notice a difference... I personally did. The 9885 made my stock system sound a bit more lively but it certainly wasn't night and day.

If the BMW's output was total garbage then sure... the installer might have a point but I doubt it's that bad.
    Last edited by antik; 11-08-2007 at 02:18 PM.

Cosmos on Black '98.5 M3 Coupe 5MT

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Thanks.

He did mention the 4 volt pre-outs as a point, but I just cannot get over the look of the aftermarket head unit with the offest bezel. I know it can be centered but I am just having a hard time with it.

I think I am going to not do the head unit for the time being.

Thanks.