Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D-Force 18x10 on E46M3!

My Cars
    M3
    plus 1 for d-force my wheels on my e36 are holding up great.

My Cars
    yes, have some
    Quote Originally Posted by boyracer View Post
    Has anyone fitted stock 18" rear rims to front?

Stock front 8 x 18 ET 47
    Stock rear 9 x 18 ET 26

If I calculated right, with rear rim on front the outer edge of rim would be about 35 mm (1.35") further out. Inner edge should not be problem at all.

I have spare full set of 18" rims and could buy two separate rear rims very cheaply and I wonder if I could run 9 x 18" ET 26 all around for symmetrical track tire set. Tires would not be wider than 255, maybe 245.

I would test fit the rims I already have to see if the tires clear the front fenders but tires are 400 km away...
    square rears has been done and done and done. i run square rears with 255 direzzas with a 20mm spacer in back and none up front, camber plates and coils. no brainer (except for the 20mm spacer needing a tight fender roll)

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Exactly... nobody should ever run a staggered wheel set-up unless class rules dictate the wheels or they have a 1000 whp car... or a Porsche.

BMWs work best with the same wheel width front and rear. All cars with 50/50% weight distribution do. Again, the only time you WANT to run a wheel width/tire width stagger is when the car has a heavy rear weight bias (rear engined cars like the P-cars) or when you have a LOT more horsepower than most race cars.

Our old 500 whp BMW @ 2550 pounds ran a slight stagger set-up... 17x10" front, 17x11" back.

My BMW E46 330Ci with 18x10" front, 18x10" rear has very neutral handling on road courses

Factory fitments usually have a staggered (rear biased grip) set-up to ENSURE UNDERSTEER. Its safer for lemmings but enthusiasts and racers don't need or want that. Don't do the stagger.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    2001 M3, 1967 Cougar

D-Force Setup

I know this thread is quite dead but I'll go ahead and add some info that may help others (and would have been helpful to me) when determining the D-Force setup for my e46 M3.

The combo I wound up with:
    18x10s et43 with 275s (Contis DWS06) all around
    Ground Control's Track Day Special coilovers
    Camber, -2.5 front and -1.8 rear (I think. Maybe -2. It was maxed out.)
    Toe, 0 up front and .15ish in rear
    Spacers, 10mm front and 15mm rear

With this setup, all tires clear the fenders without rolling. The only "rubbing" is in the front at about 3/4 lock. There's just enough tire to contact the fender well plastics. It's only noticeable when in a parking lot. I imagine that 285s would fit fine with rolled fenders. More camber may or may not be needed up front. Though, a 12.5mm spacer may be necessary in front as the 275s rubber sits rather close to the bottom of the strut.

Tram lining is minimal, at worst. For the most part, it's non-existent but poorly maintained or damaged roads can bring it out. Understeer is greatly diminished and the car looks great. One of the wheels took a decent bit of weight to balance but overall, I'm quite happy with them.

20180810_165219.jpg Snapchat-1142683442 (2).jpg
    Last edited by topher339; 10-04-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: pictures

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12